Military Families
Options

Question about adding baby to Tricare...?

I'm newly married and my husband is stationed at Osan Air Force Base until mid December.  Our baby is due at the end of next month and I was wondering how to go about getting him enrolled with Tricare once he arrives. I'm a first time mom so this is a completely alien process to me.

Can someone help a noob out?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Question about adding baby to Tricare...?

• Options

I'm going to go ahead and assume that you're not there with him. In that case, you have two options:

1. You can go to the base closest to you and enroll the baby yourself. You will have to enroll him in DEERS first, then in Tricare. In order to enroll him in DEERS, you will need a specific POA form your husband stating that you are allowed to make changes to his information in DEERS.

2. You can fax/e-mail your husband a copy of your child's birth certificate and he can do the above at Osan himself. Before banking on this option, though, have him call or visit the DEERS office to make sure they will accept a photocopy of the birth certificate. Some offices do, others don't. 

Either way, your son will be covered under Tricare Prime automatically for 60 days from the date of his birth. After those 60 days, if you haven't done either of the above, he will be covered under Tricare Standard for the rest of his first year.  

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagemeltoine:

I'm going to go ahead and assume that you're not there with him. In that case, you have two options:

1. You can go to the base closest to you and enroll the baby yourself. You will have to enroll him in DEERS first, then in Tricare. In order to enroll him in DEERS, you will need a specific POA form your husband stating that you are allowed to make changes to his information in DEERS.

2. You can fax/e-mail your husband a copy of your child's birth certificate and he can do the above at Osan himself. Before banking on this option, though, have him call or visit the DEERS office to make sure they will accept a photocopy of the birth certificate. Some offices do, others don't. 

Either way, your son will be covered under Tricare Prime automatically for 60 days from the date of his birth. After those 60 days, if you haven't done either of the above, he will be covered under Tricare Standard for the rest of his first year.  

This sounds exactly right.  I just wanted to add that where I'm stationed the DEERS office required both parents and the baby to be present in order to enroll LO in DEERS.  If this is the case for you as well then option #1 above would be your only choice.  Once LO was in DEERS though I went to the Tricare office by myself to enroll LO.  They just needed one parent to fill out the form and that was it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker Graphics
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My DH had to bring the crib card from the hospital to DEERS after he was born, then follow up with his brith certificate when we received it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"