3rd Trimester

baby carriers

I'm having my scheduled c/s on Tues and being that this is baby #2 for us and we have a 20 month old I'm going to need something that allows me to hold baby #2 and assist ds - so I'm thinking the baby carrier where I can "wear" the baby on me is going to be my life saver.  I've heard that there are good ones and bad ones - can anyone point me in the right direction for one that is considered safe and good??

Re: baby carriers

• for a newborn I would suggest a moby or a sling.

I am also going to get a beco and possibly a babyhawk. Can you tell I like baby carriers? :)

• Stella... how expensive are those?  I want one but don't want to spend an arm and a leg on it.
  • Loading the player...
  • I heard mobys were the most comfy, I'm planning to get one for my second as well.  I think they're about $40, but you may find some cheaper on line...that's just how expensive they are where I am.
  • I'll be starting with a Moby.
  • imageMrsGladney:
    Stella... how expensive are those?  I want one but don't want to spend an arm and a leg on it.

A moby is really nothing more than 5 yards of fabric about 20 inches wide.  I "made" my own by getting fabric on sale from JoAnns for about 10 bucks. 

I also HIGLY recommend the Over the Shoulder Baby Holder (a padded ring sling).

• I have Moby and a loveyduds wrap.

The Moby came highly recommended by several mom friends and the loveyduds is really cute, but I have no idea how well it works. Seems to be similar to the Moby.

• imageDarceyLivesinFL:

imageMrsGladney:
    Stella... how expensive are those?  I want one but don't want to spend an arm and a leg on it.

A moby is really nothing more than 5 yards of fabric about 20 inches wide.  I "made" my own by getting fabric on sale from JoAnns for about 10 bucks. 

I also HIGLY recommend the Over the Shoulder Baby Holder (a padded ring sling).

Any specific type of fabric I should get?  Jersey?  I totally think I could do that and it sounds cheap enough.  Thanks!

Your kiddos are so cute!

• You just have to feel around for what you like.  I wanted something with a little bit of a strech to it after trying a friend's fleece Moby.  I can't remember the name of the type of material, but it's really thin and very slightly stretchy (really, it has more of a "give" to it than a stretch).

• My son was 14 months old when we had DD and to be honest I used my baby holder maybe 2 times... I bought an Evenflo off ebay for like $20.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Brayden (5 1/2) born 12.28.06
    Hailey (4 1/2) born 2.25.08
    Taylor (8 Months) born 12.26.11
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I have heard rave reviews about the Baby Bjorn.  I know they're expensive (about $70), so I plan on looking on ebay and other sites like that.
  • I got a Moby wrap for #3. I only used the Bjorn for #2 and it worked okay.
    image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • I have heard good things with both Moby and Ergo Baby Carrier. I don't like slings so I am going to get the Ergo Baby. They are a bit spendy though at $110.

Check on ebay and craigslist first.

• Also, I would try them on. I had a Peanut Shell and a Hotsling for DD#2 as well, and HATED them. They weren't great. I also don't like ring slings. I figured the Moby would work the best.
    image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • i have heard the bjorn is bad for the babies hip development as well as bad for your back. if you want that type of carrier i would look into a beco or ergo
  • Love love love our Ergo. It will last you forever. We wear our 2 year old in it all the time (well, dh does :). It's sooo comfortable and versatile.

We haven't used it with an infant, but I've read great things about it for all ages. 

We really enjoyed our adustable pouch as well ( www.kangarookorner.com ) which is another good option at least for the sleepy newborn stage. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • I have a sling carrier as well, but I would really appreciate it if someone would answer my original question. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"