Pre-School and Daycare

3yo peeing through 2 diapers and diaper doubler in 1 night

I don't know if last night was a fluke or what, but I was up with DS at 3am b/c he soaked through a diaper and a diaper doubler.  His bed was soaked too.  I figured at that point a diaper w/o a doubler was probably ok since it was so late and he hadn't had anything to drink since before bed.  However, this a.m. he had peed through that diaper too, and the bed was wet again.   

I'm considering moving him up a size in diapers, but he's already in 6's.  7's are so hard to find.  I've also considered getting him up to go potty in the middle of the night even though he isn't waking himself, but it always results in a nuclear meltdown that threatens to wake the whole house.

So far, this isn't a nightly occurrence, but he has periodically peed through one diaper or one diaper and a doubler by morning.  If it becomes even a semi-regular problem, I'll have to do something different.  I'm not sure what though.  Thoughts?

Re: 3yo peeing through 2 diapers and diaper doubler in 1 night

• Maybe limiting liquids after dinnertime?
  • How much is he drinking after dinner and/or how close is dinner to bed time? 

My guys have been in night time pulls ups since they were 2.5.  Very rarely do they leak through.  DS#1 wakes up dry most mornings but DS#2 has a FULL pull up almost every morning.  We eat around 5:30 or 6:00 and they usually have  a cup of water with dinner.  Rarely they might have a half cup of milk in the evening but that's it. 

The boys go potty just before bed at 8:00.

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

• Loading the player...
  • That sounds a little odd.  We are deep in potty training and have found that limiting fluids in the evening and cutting them off a couple of hours before bed has almost guaranteed him waking up dry the next day.  At this point Harm's body is gaining a lot more control.

Something sounds off.  I would call your pediatrician and make sure this doesn't hit a red flag.  Excessive urination might signal a medical issue. 

Mom to Harmon 1/17/08 and twins Rachel & Callum 8/28/09 Photobucket 29o0v13.jpg
  • CD+ALCD+AL member
    Supper is usually pretty late at our house, but so is bedtime comparatively to other kids our kids' ages.  I suppose that supper could be too close to bedtime.  I wonder how we'd manage to get it backed up to an earlier time.  Hmmm...

• We cut DD off of fluids at 7 no matter what time she goes to bed (never after 9:30 in our house, and those nights are rare anyway).

Honeslty the only thing that started making DD hold it/wake up dry is putting her in panties. Whenever she had a pull up on it was like an open invitation to pee freely all night whether we cut off her fluids or not.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hi. I don't mean to scare you...but if that happens again or you notice that is more thirsty than normal or really throwing out of the ordinary temper tantrums.......PLEASE CALL YOU PED!

Peeing through diapers (which was so out of the oridnary for Jake) in the middle of the night was the first symptom we noticed.

On April 27, 2010 Jake was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes.  Our life was changed forever.

Luckily we caught him early (before he went into diabetic ketoacidosis) and he was out of ICU within 12 hrs and out of the hospital in 3 days.  With something like this, if you can catch it early it's best for everyone.

I truly hope this is not the case and just cutting back on fluids solves the problem but I wouldn't take any chances if I were you.  If you notice any other symptoms, get him check asap.

Good Luck!

Got my little men 2/23/08 and 8/29/10!! 2 little monsters I tell you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"