1st Trimester

We don't mention this one often....

But it's really a good idea to make sure you see your dentist as early as possible when you find out you're pg. I just had my teeth cleaned and they kept talking about how important it is because your gums are so much more sensitive/prone to gingivitis.

I don't know about you girls, but I don't necessarily make it in every 6 months like I"m supposed to.

image Don't argue with idiots, they bring you down to their level then beat you with experience. - Mrs. G

Re: We don't mention this one often....

• Good PSA. I've got my Dec. 5 appointment!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Fair warning though.... it may be a little more uncomfortable than usual. I don't even feel like my gums are very sensitive and it still hurt.
    image Don't argue with idiots, they bring you down to their level then beat you with experience. - Mrs. G
  • Loading the player...
  • Ditto this!  I just went to the dentist (15 weeks) and I have pregnancy gingivitis that has progressed to periodontal disease (monthly cleanings at the dentist until baby is born and then a really fun procedure called root planing), which is pretty inconvenient and expensive!  This would also not be a bad thing to post on the TTC board...how I wish I had taken care of this before I was pg.
  • I go in two Mondays. I was just there a few weeks ago getting my last crown (no Novocaine, they had already prepped the gum). My hygienist is pretty far along in her pregnancy and she's the really adorable kind of pregnant.
  • My doctor actually told me to wait until after first tri to go. I canceled an appointment and everything.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageBEATOU:

My doctor actually told me to wait until after first tri to go. I canceled an appointment and everything.

Really? Were they going to do something besides a cleaning?

• Yes!  Thank you!  I am so happy to see someone post this!

You can go to the dentist in first tri, for whoever said that, just don't get x-rays.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think most doctors prefer that you put off anything that will require novacaine (sp?) till the 2nd tri because it speeds up your heart a little. But other than that it's fine. My dentist even uses digital x-rays, which expose you to 80%-90% less radiation then "normal" ones. So if you have to have an X-ray see if you can find a dentist that offers them.

They told me that it's really important that they get in there as early as possible and scrape (yeah, that's the part that hurts) any bacteria out from under your gums. Apparently it really helps keep "pregnancy gingivitis" away.

• imageKelliO924:
    Ditto this!? I just went to the dentist (15 weeks) and I have pregnancy gingivitis that has progressed to periodontal disease (monthly cleanings at the dentist until baby is born and then a really fun procedure called root planing), which is pretty inconvenient and expensive!? This would also not be a bad thing to post on the TTC board...how I wish I had taken care of this before I was pg.

?

Hey Kelli: you're right...the TTC boards are a good place to make a PSA re: dental care. Obviously not everyone can time their pregnancy, but if possible, getting a check up, cleaning and any treatment you need before you become pregnant (particularly if you've had a history of periodontal disease) is a great idea as increased levels of pregnancy hormones can cause an exaggerated response to plaque, which exacerbates existing periodontal disease and/or gingivitis. If you weren't lucky enough to get caught with your up with your dental care before BFP,?call your doc and get his/her advice on your specific situation. Many dentists will recommend deferring any elective (i.e. non-emergency) treatment until 2nd tri, especially if you have an uncomplicated dental history. But call your doc to get his or her recommendations for you. But way to go girls for keeping up w/it! =)

::one of 1st tris resident dentists steps off the PSA podium::?

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yay! We have a dentist on the board. Thanks Molly! Big Smile
  • LOL molly, I wondered if I'd see you post on this one too!  Also, re: the novocaine (forgot already who said this), you can get it without epinephrine so that it won't increase your heart rate, so nothing to worry about there.
  • imageJason'swife:
    Yay! We have a dentist on the board. Thanks Molly! Big Smile

There are a few of us lurking around here! Go Girl Docs! =)?

• imagejulia0402:
    LOL molly, I wondered if I'd see you post on this one too!  Also, re: the novocaine (forgot already who said this), you can get it without epinephrine so that it won't increase your heart rate, so nothing to worry about there.

Really? When I asked my dentist about it he said if they took it out it wouldn't last as long as they need it to (and that stuff never works very well for me anyway, so that's not a good thing). I thought it was just for swelling though. I'm confused on that point. I'll have to re-visit the subject next time I'm there.

• imagejulia0402:
    LOL molly, I wondered if I'd see you post on this one too!? Also, re: the novocaine (forgot already who said this), you can get it without epinephrine so that it won't increase your heart rate, so nothing to worry about there.

?

Hey Julia! Yep, I've had my fill lately of hearing that pregnancy=periodontal disease...it's plaque/calculus=periodontal disease, right? (And you've been lurking over here, eh?) =)

• Jason's wife-- yeah, it doesn't last as long, but it should last long enough to get the job done.  I'm not sure what you mean by anesthesia for swelling?

Molly-- yup I lurk around all the trimester boards, I am too impatient to just sit on 2nd tri and wait for entertainment!!  Haha.

• imagejulia0402:

Molly-- yup I lurk around all the trimester boards, I am too impatient to just sit on 2nd tri and wait for entertainment!!? Haha.

I've heard 1st tri can be good for 'entertainment' every now and again... ::whistling while walking away:: I'm baking beer bread later tonight. Think it's okay if I eat some of it? =)

• imagejulia0402:

Jason's wife-- yeah, it doesn't last as long, but it should last long enough to get the job done.  I'm not sure what you mean by anesthesia for swelling?

Molly-- yup I lurk around all the trimester boards, I am too impatient to just sit on 2nd tri and wait for entertainment!!  Haha.

Thanks! I'll just tell them to take it out. Sorry, that was unclear. I meant that my understanding was that the epi was just in there to keep the swelling in the tissues down while the procedure was being done. It sounds like it makes the drugs last longer too though.

• Yep: the epi just lengthens the amount of time that the anesthesia will last...
  • Excellent! They usually have to give me about 5 shots anyway, so what difference does it make if I need a couple more in the middle of the whole thing?

Thanks again! That was really helpful.

• The beer is fine, but I dunno about the bread part... sounds sketchy to me...
  • imagejulia0402:
    The beer is fine, but I dunno about the bread part... sounds sketchy to me...

https://community.thenest.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/5151603.aspx?

?You just can never be too safe, ya know? =)?

• Bahahahaha I missed that one!!  Excellent.
  • I had to cancel my last appointment b/c it was on the day taxes were due in our office (big deal). They can't get me in until Christmas Eve. Yuck.

Meanwhile DH had to go in a sudden emergency only to find out he has 3 cavities! He hasnt had a cleaning since he was in college and on his parents insurance so I kind of feel bad (I mean, he DOES brush his teeth...) but then the other part of me is like WTF?! 3 EFFING CAVITIES! STOP DRINKING SO MUCH SODA AND EATING JUNK FOOD YOU MORON.

Okay. Vent over. hahaha.

• doesnt matter what trimester your in to get your teeth cleaned. Should be doing it every 4 months when your pregnant. Especially when you have pregnancy gingivitis, along with heavey bleeding.

?the mouth is the window to the body.....bad gums bad heart and more

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Great point! I have gone every six months since I was a very young child. Unfortunately, not everyone does. It is very important for preggies to do so!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • good to know. i'm due for a cleaning next month and i'm procrastinating on making an appointment.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"