3rd Trimester

induction talk & pcos=big babies?

Today my doctor informs me that because I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, I will more than likely need to be induced at 38.5 weeks due to LO's size. (doc says ladies with PCOS have larger babies)  At 20 weeks (Christmas week) LO measured about 2 weeks ahead. I'm 34 weeks today. I go back in 2.5 weeks when I'm 36.5 weeks and I'll have an u/s and get LO's measurments. Doc said at that apt, he will bring his calander to set up an induction date. I'm okay with being induced a week and a half early because it's necessary, but does having PCOS always mean having a big baby? Anyone 2+ moms with PCOS not have a big baby? Just curious about other experiences.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: induction talk & pcos=big babies?

• I'm a first-time mom, but I have PCOS and my baby was estimated at 9 lbs at 38 weeks. (I know, I know...weight estimates can be off, but my doctor warned me I would probably have a big baby.) I've been measuring weeks ahead since 32 weeks, and my doctor is talking induction next week at 39 weeks. The only reason we didn't do it sooner is because she's out of town this week. The doctor I saw on Tuesday even said don't be surprised if she wants to do a c-section, b/c the baby's abdomen is measuring so large.
  • imagesarahdee678:
    I'm a first-time mom, but I have PCOS and my baby was estimated at 9 lbs at 38 weeks. (I know, I know...weight estimates can be off, but my doctor warned me I would probably have a big baby.) I've been measuring weeks ahead since 32 weeks, and my doctor is talking induction next week at 39 weeks. The only reason we didn't do it sooner is because she's out of town this week. The doctor I saw on Tuesday even said don't be surprised if she wants to do a c-section, b/c the baby's abdomen is measuring so large.

I didn't ask my doc and he didn't say, but I wondered if this what he was sort of implying.

• Loading the player...
  • I'm a first time mom, but I have PCOS and my baby was 6 lbs 7 oz at 37 weeks 5 days. He was somewhere between 10-20th percentile (not sure the exact numbers) but I was a small baby and small adult and didn't gain a lot while pregnant so that may have changed things
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • rx-did you go into labor on your own or were you induced?
  • pcos here -- first baby 7lbs4oz. at 38 weeks.  no induction.  no GD with either pregnancy.  i'm a l&d rn and have never heard "pcos = big baby".  GD tends to = bigger babies (though certainly not all the time), but going straight from pcos to macrosomia is a big jump.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I have PCOS and also was a L&D RN and never heard that either. I am a SAHM now. That being said, My 36 weeker was 8 lb 6 oz and 22 inches long. My 34 weeker was 5 lbs 14 ozs and 19 inches long. I never had GD either. I was induced with both pregnancies for Pre- E not because of size.  I can see the theory being PCOS having insulin resistance but that is a big leap to induction.
  • thanks for the input ladies! I won't know 100% sure until I got back in 2 weeks, but just sort of wanted to mentally prepare myself if needed.
  • I have PCOS, this is my first. Doctor estimated 4.5 lbs at the 32 week ultrasound surmounting to around a 9 lb baby at 40 weeks.

They say to plan for induction but due to pregnancy induced hypertension, nothing about PCOS was mentioned.

That said, I was 8.5 lbs at birth and my husband was 9 and change, so big babies run in both our families anyway. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • PCOS increases the chances of having GD, and that increases the chances of having a large baby.

Keep in mind that fetal weight cannot be accurately measured by U/S.

Furthermore, ACOG says that macrosomia (suspected big baby) is not a good reason for Induction or Cesarean.  So if an OB or Midwife recommend this, question it! It's one thing to be induced if it's medically necessary, but it sounds like your OB is recommending induction based on measurements that are known to be innacurate, and going against current medical recommendations.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Picture114b Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Not the case for me.

My first was born 7lbs 1oz @ 38w and my second was 6lbs 14oz @ 37w3d. I did not have GD or excessive weight gain, which I am sure kept my girls "average" size.

• I've not heard of the PCOS/big baby connection. I do have pcos and my baby will be large. ACOG does not recommend inducing based on size estimates, and that is what my OB agrees with. So I will not be induced.
    photo newsig2_zps17ef14af.jpg
  • Thanks for the info ladies...definetly gonna have to talk to my doc about this when I go back in 2 weeks.
  • I was induced at 40 weeks with my first, and he was 8-7 (not small, but not crazy big).  This time, I am measuring 2 weeks ahead with our baby girl, but my midwife has made no mention of PCOS being any factor in it.  She told me to watch carbs and to eat protein in combo with carbs.  My hormone levels were very borderline the last time they were done so I might not have the strongest PCOS symptoms, but I have NEVER heard this before.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"