Infertility

natural vs medicated FET- pros/cons?

So AF is due any day & the original plan was to do a medicated FET, starting w/ BCPs and lupron after CD3 bloodwork, then moving into estrogen patches up until transfer, which would be during the week of Dec 16...

I don't really mind the needles, etc but I do have some reservations about all the medications & hormone fluctuations that come with the whole IVF/FET thing and for me, the less meds in my body, the better, so I really lean toward doing a natural FET since my cycles are regular. However, the nurse tells me that I will have to come in every day for bloodwork so that will be inconvenient I guess, and then I won't have the 'control' over the possible transfer date like you do w/ medicated....

So, here is my pro/con list- can anyone add anything to it? How many days do you have to go in for the testing/bloodwork for an FET vs medicated (only twice I think prior to ET)?

Most important, are there success rate differences? 

Natural

pro- no meds except PIO, more aligned w/ natural cycle, shorter start to finish

con- daily b/w, less control over ET date

Medicated

pro- control over ET date, fewer morning appts

con- more meds, longer start to finish

Thanks!

Re: natural vs medicated FET- pros/cons?

• I think those pros/cons sound about right. I don't know about a difference in success rates. My RE didn't give me a choice about a natural cycle - I had to do medicated. It has been killer to wait so long to get to ET (almost 6 weeks), but it was definitely a stress reliever to only have 2 appts during that time and to know my ET date weeks in advance. The medication side effects have not been great though. good luck with whatever you decide!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Hey:

I am doing a natural FET. ?If AF shows this weekend, then I will have my baseline appointment Mon. In addition to the PIO, I will also be taking an estrogen supplement ( starting Mon.)

?

The way my RE explained it to me was that since I ovulate on my own and have *mostly* regular cycles, there was no need to do a medicated cycle. ?

?

I don't have any info on the difference in success rates.

Good luck!!!!!?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I did a medicated FET due to my PCOS....I really appreciated the flexibility.

I thought that with an unmedicated you just kinda chilled along, maybe did OPKs to pinpoint LH surge and then had the transfer?  But I could be totally wrong here.

Sorry I don't have any pros/cons to add!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"