Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

how to work with polka dots (PIPs)

We live in an apartment and decided not to go to the trouble of painting. Instead, I decided to starch fabric polka dots to the walls of my son's room. It was so much fun and I love how cheerful the room is. 

But I found it really hard to figure out how to work with the polka dots, and a whole year later, I have yet to hang anything on the walls except a mirror over the cube shelf and a round blue clock over the growth chart shown in the second picture.

At this point, I suppose my almost two-year-old would prefer a Cars theme or something, lol, but for now he's stuck with the polka dots. 

I have two of these monkeys (from his first birthday party). Any thoughts on how I could use them in the room, with or without the background they're on?

I also have these letters, which hung above his crib before we moved, but again I couldn't decide if they would be okay with the polka dots.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Pregnancy Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: how to work with polka dots (PIPs)

• Options
    I don't have any suggestions but I LOVE the monkeys...are they canvas prints?  Do you know where they came from?  They would go perfect in our nursery!  Thanks.
  • Options
    I made them from scrapbook paper. We did a "mod monkey" theme for his birthday party, and I just traced the monkey from the mylar balloon.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I love the monkeys and his name letters. I think they would look great hanging up on the walls with the polka dots!! 
  • Options

You could make an one-piece artwork out of both

like taking a big piece of rectangular wood, paint it in a solid color (I'd use a blue, a little darker than the dots) and then glue the monkeys at both extremities and the name in the middle, do I make any sense?

this way you could hang it above his crib and it wouldn't get lost (being the colors of the letters so close to the wall)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • Options
    You did an awesome job!  They look great...I may just have to try it myself.  Thanks.
  • Options

imageEEM9906:
    You did an awesome job!  They look great...I may just have to try it myself.  Thanks.

Thanks! I got the idea and the instructions from this site.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

You can totaly use those monkey pictures for the room. Im not too sure how yet tho.. but i would Not put them on another polka dot background. I think something plain.. Also, maybe something a little more different with the name, maybe get a shelf and paint it, or find it in the same color as the crib, and set them on the shelf... in a "blank" spot. Have you thought about taking down some of the dots? Like, having one accent wall of just dots to free up some of the wall space. Because with that type of wall treatment, your kinda stuck with that being whats on the walls.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm a really big fan of mixing coordinating patterns. If I were you I would try to find some striped curtains in the same color, or maybe some hanging paper lanterns in a square shape/something other than circles. I think the monkeys and the letters would look great with the dots.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

First of all, the walls look fantastic! 

As for the monkey - SO cute. I would keep the background as they help it tie into the walls as they are. Use a square frame (possibly in the same stain as the crib or else a solid white) which will keep it from disappearing into the pattern in the wall.

A suggestion for the letters - you can totally use these too! Are you attached to keeping the letters as-is? If not, I may suggest painting them using the yellow & teal of the polka dots + another bold color or two. Keep it fairly simple and graphic - (solids, stripes, dots etc.). Again, if you are concerned about the letters disappearing into the pattern of the wall, use a wide, solid color frame (without the glass) to mount the letters.

Just a few thoughts... hope it helps! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"