Pregnant after a Loss
Options

Signed up for cord blood banking

My cousin is currently undergoing treatment for leukemia and my sister's best friend's six year old son may have leukemia as well. I know the chances are so slim but I can't stand the thought of something happening.

Re: Signed up for cord blood banking

• Options

My dh and I talk about this all of the time, but I have heard that it is very expensive.  If you don't mind me asking approximately what does it cost?

• Options
    New England Cord blood who I am using is 1975.00 and 125 per year for storage; however, they received a government grant and on a first come first serve basis they are offering an $800 reduction so my total cost was $1175  They also offer a 12 month interest free financing program which I will take advantage of (98 dollars a month).  Viacord is 2195 and 125 each year after.  They offer several payment plans including a 5 year at 51 dollars per month.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Well that isn't quite as bad as I thought it would be.  I am not sure if we can even do it in our area.  Not sure if our rinky dink small town hospital does such things.  But I do think it is worth looking into.  Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    For those of you who work in healthcare:  Most of the cord blood banking companies offer a significant discount to healthcare workers.  For example, Viacord who charges about $2100 initial fee, offers healthcare workers a $1300 initial fee!  That is a huge discount! 
  • Options
    I wish I could do it but its just not in the budget for us! I think we are still going to donate it though......
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"