Success after IF

A Political Post of sorts..Goverment Shut down..

Yikes, I was just listen to the news (aka the View) and was listening to what they were saying about the Goverment Shut Down, it;s going to to be really bad if this happens tomorrow.

All state parks will be closed, we will still have to send in our taxes but will not get refund checks, people who work for the govt be laid off, all loans FHA Business loans suspended, and it could cost us billions of dollars..This is really going to affect us AVERAGE americans..I just don't understand why can't the people we elect to represent us do there jobs instead of arguing all the time..

I just seems that the state of politics is out of control and the Republican and Dem will never see eye...It's really sad..and now Donald Trump is going to run for President is he even qualified??!

Re: A Political Post of sorts..Goverment Shut down..

• What really annoyed me about this is that it was proposed Congress also not get paid (along with all of the thousands of other federal employees), but they voted that they should keep getting paid while everyone else struggles to make ends meet.
    It took 3 1/2 long years, but we finally got our little miracle!
    IVF #1 - BFP (6dt)
    Unassisted Pregnancy #2 - lost at 15w6d due to T21, severe heart defects, and fetal hydrops

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I just posted one point on my FB...congress will get paid, but military pay will be deferred. They are saying that would happen if it were a "extended period" but who knows what that means.
  • Loading the player...
  • I remember the last "govt shutdown" very well. It won't last long...never does...they won't let those things go on for more than a few days because it would kill ALL their political careers. It's just a big game of chicken.
  • imagecjsbdl:
    I remember the last "govt shutdown" very well. It won't last long...never does...they won't let those things go on for more than a few days because it would kill ALL their political careers. It's just a big game of chicken.
    I agree with this thought process however I think it is pathetic the stress and uncertainty it places on the American people
  • CBLCBL member
    Blushing in ignorance, but I'm Canadian and have been a a cocoon of crazy at work and at home.  Can someone please give me the Cliff's Notes on this?
  • imageCBL:
    Blushing in ignorance, but I'm Canadian and have been a a cocoon of crazy at work and at home.  Can someone please give me the Cliff's Notes on this?

Thats why I watch The View!! lol!! They give me the cliffs notes version..and I can here both sides, even though I usually disagree with Elizabeth Hassleback!

• imagepamela-matt:
    I just posted one point on my FB...congress will get paid, but military pay will be deferred. They are saying that would happen if it were a "extended period" but who knows what that means.

I didn't see that part. That's REALLY Bad..Maybe the goverment should take a note from the NFL commish who said he wouldn't get paid if they went on strike...

• The last one wasn't exactly short.  It was two weeks, then a continuing resolution was passed, then it was shut down for an additional 6.... luckily it was during the holiday season, so many people were already off on vacation. 

As of midnight tomorrow night, my family will have no income, military families won't be paid till all of this is sorted out, the DC govt will pretty much shut down, etc and so forth, it won't be pretty. Thats not even taking into account that it will be HORRIBLE for this region, cause this is the middle of the Cherry Blossom Festival, peak tourism season for the area. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    m/c August 2007 - Blighted Ovum
    Sean - Our IUI/Injectable miracle born Oct. 5, 2008.
    Liam - Our second miracle born July 16, 2010
  • I just saw this on the news and it makes me livid!!  I don't see why they can't get their act together.  It will also effect military pay which is absurd!  The militery does so much and already gets paid so little.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My family will have no income if the govenment shuts down either. 

This budget should have been passed before October 1st LAST YEAR.  We are midway though fiscal year 2011 and still don't have a budget.  The elected officials are total losers in my book.  I don't know about you girls, but it doesn't fly at my job to have missed a deadline by 6 months.

The economy is just beginning to get out of the total slump.  In addition to the effects mentioned above (loans, taxes refunds, etc) having hundreds of thousands of unemployed Federal workers isn't going to help the economy rise out of the slumps. 

• imagepamela-matt:
    imagecjsbdl:
    I remember the last "govt shutdown" very well. It won't last long...never does...they won't let those things go on for more than a few days because it would kill ALL their political careers. It's just a big game of chicken.
    I agree with this thought process however I think it is pathetic the stress and uncertainty it places on the American people

I think it's disgusting that this stress is put on our military and average Americans while Congress sits back and argues like middle schoolers, and yet still get paid their salaries.  It's shameful.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageCBL:

Can I join you?  lol  Seriously, I'm 20 minutes from the border and Canada is so much nicer. Wink

image Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We still don't have clear guidance from DH's work as to which contracts will have to be shut down and which are OK. It's really frustrating...we have no clue if he'll be getting paid, if they'll make everyone take vacation pay, etc. Right now we're just hanging onto our tax refund and if need be, that'll pay our bills for next month. One day at a time....hopefully they'll pull it together. I'm still pissed they all went on recess last month when they knew this was coming up. If you KNOW families will be going without pay and/or services, GO TO WORK. No vacations.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPregnancy Ticker
  • imageCBL:

Basically, despite having control of the House, the Senate, and the Presidency, the Democrats did not manage to pass a budget. Now that the Dems have to share control, they really aren't making any progress because you basically have 3 factions going on: Democrats, old-school Republicans, plus the Republicans voted in by Tea Party voters who basically just wanted to oust the ineffective representatives and get some new blood in. That 3rd faction knows that if they don't stand strong on the Tea Party demands, they will just as easily get the boot in the next election (generally this means small government/low taxes). So that's why the actual stalemate is going on, the Repubs want cuts and the Dems are refusing b/c that means cutting services as well. As of April 8 (would have been earlier, but they kept passing measures to extend the deadline - which everyone is getting sick of and like the PP said are now playing "chicken"), the gov't won't have funding anymore, since there won't be a budget on the table - thus everything has to shut down.

• The last government shutdown lasted 21 days.  That's nearly a month that federal workers, contractors and others had to incur the financial burdens.  What about the inhome day care filled with the children of federal workers?  Or the lunch spot on Capitol Hill that no longer will have customers because no one is working?  And its a ripple effect to the DC government as well.  They will be under the same financial constraints as those in the federal government.

I have a lot of friends who work for the government or contractors.  My neighbor is an Army doctor.  The financial burdens are plenty for DC and for these families.

Allison
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I certainly did not mean to come across as flippant. I certainly agree it's terrible and they should get their freaking act together. It's pretty clear that Congress and the President have no idea what it means to live paycheck to paycheck.

My point was that they will not let it go on and on...it's in their best interest to pass a budget. A shutdown is political showmanship, plain and simple--sad, but true.

• Everything is out of control- everyone needs to work together and do what is in the best interest of the country and the citizens. We seem to have lost our focus, not that we shouldn't be helping other countries in times of need, but we have bigger issues in our own country, and what the heck is with Lybia- did we really need to start stuff over there while our country is dealing with massive unemplyment and massive foreclosures- the american citizens need help too.

As for Trump-  I have not yet made a decision on how I feel about him, however I do think he could be a better option then what we have going on in the white house right now- honestly at this point I think anyone is better.

Our Journey from two to three! 3 IUI's, 2 IVF's, decided to move to foster/adopt. 12/24/2009 Baby C born, 2/1/2010 placed with us, 5/17/2011 Adoption final- we are finally a forever family! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagecjsbdl:

I certainly did not mean to come across as flippant. I certainly agree it's terrible and they should get their freaking act together. It's pretty clear that Congress and the President have no idea what it means to live paycheck to paycheck.

My point was that they will not let it go on and on...it's in their best interest to pass a budget. A shutdown is political showmanship, plain and simple--sad, but true.

I agree, but 3 weeks is letting it "go on and on" to me...and the way the Repubs/Dems have been working together lately, I could see it going on at least that long. DH only gets paid 1xmonth, we've paid all our April bills, but if the gov't shutdown happens and he doesn't get paid again until June, we'd be screwed. I think our refund will cover it, thank goodness we got a good one this year, but if not, we'll have to borrow from our parents. It's scary.

• imageAlissaCell701:

All state parks will be closed, we will still have to send in our taxes but will not get refund checks, people who work for the govt be laid off, all loans FHA Business loans suspended, and it could cost us billions of dollars..

Why are state parks closing?  I thought only federally run parks were closing?  Also, refund checks will be issued if you file electronically.  You're SOL if you paper file.

• imagePrincessShay80:

As for Trump-  I have not yet made a decision on how I feel about him, however I do think he could be a better option then what we have going on in the white house right now- honestly at this point I think anyone is better.

I'm not sure how I feel about Trump either, but I do know that politicians suck.  They lie through their teeth in hopes of getting elected and then they become a part of the partisian political system and nothing gets done.  Part of me thinks it would be refreshing to have a successful businessman in office instead of a career politician.  I don't know if Trump is qualified, but not being qualified doesn't seem to necessarily be a showstopper!  Think of GW Bush (failed business man with some pretty awesome family ties) and think of Obama (< 4 years in Congress and a community organizer)...were either of them really as qualified as they should have been to run our country? 

• kegkeg member
    It's pretty crazy.  The amount of time and effort (and therefore $) being put into preparing for a potential furlough is ridiculous too.  I just wish the politicians would grow up and work together.  Heck, my 2 year olds play together better than this! 
    2004-Started TTC; Nov 2007-Lap with endo removed; Jan 2008-Ectopic (mtx); April 2008-IVF #1 (bfp, twin girls); March 2011-FET (cp); June 2012-IVF #2 (bfp, singleton, EDD 3-19-12)

***Twin fraternal girls born at 35w6d in 12/2008***

• CBLCBL member
    imagePrincessShay80:

what the heck is with Lybia- did we really need to start stuff over there while our country is dealing with massive unemplyment and massive foreclosures- the american citizens need help too.

Literally smacking my head on the desk.  I don't even know where to begin with this, so I'm not sure I will. 

• imageCBL:
    imagePrincessShay80:

what the heck is with Lybia- did we really need to start stuff over there while our country is dealing with massive unemplyment and massive foreclosures- the american citizens need help too.

Literally smacking my head on the desk.  I don't even know where to begin with this, so I'm not sure I will. 

If you read my statement above this I stated that I'm not saying we should not help other countries, but we need to FOCUS on our own country as well.

Our Journey from two to three! 3 IUI's, 2 IVF's, decided to move to foster/adopt. 12/24/2009 Baby C born, 2/1/2010 placed with us, 5/17/2011 Adoption final- we are finally a forever family! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • CBLCBL member
    imagePrincessShay80:
    imageCBL:
    imagePrincessShay80:

If you read my statement above this I stated that I'm not saying we should not help other countries, but we need to FOCUS on our own country as well.

I read it.  You said you're not saying the US shouldn't help, but then questioning why they are in Libya, which is a massive contradiction.  That's about all I can muster today. 

• imageCBL:
    imagePrincessShay80:
    imageCBL:
    imagePrincessShay80:

I read it.  You said you're not saying the US shouldn't help, but then questioning why they are in Libya, which is a massive contradiction.  That's about all I can muster today. 

We should help, not drop everything here in an effort to do things in other countries. Last time I checked our country wasn't doing so hot, good lord we are on the verge of a government shut down.

I understand that the issues we have as a country did not happen over night, they have been piling up for quite some time. It just seems that we use 95% of our energy and resouces in other countries and 5% helping ourselves- and who gets hurt- the american people.

Every day American families go hungry, loose their jobs, and loose their homes  and what are our leaders doing to rectify the problem- NOTHING!

• imagePrincessShay80:
    imageCBL:
    imagePrincessShay80:
    imageCBL:
    imagePrincessShay80:

We should help, not drop everything here in an effort to do things in other countries. Last time I checked our country wasn't doing so hot, good lord we are on the verge of a government shut down.

I understand that the issues we have as a country did not happen over night, they have been piling up for quite some time. It just seems that we use 95% of our energy and resouces in other countries and 5% helping ourselves- and who gets hurt- the american people.

Every day American families go hungry, loose their jobs, and loose their homes  and what are our leaders doing to rectify the problem- NOTHING!

Hell, I don't think we should help. I'm sorry, but none of the current rationalizations for why we are sending resources to help the Libyan rebels fight make sense to me. Humanitarian??? Hell no, if that were the case, we'd be "helping" the multiple countries dealing with large-scale genocide in Africa. It all comes down to oil. And it doesn't seem like our "help" has been working out in other countries lately. The only tie I can see between Libya and advancing our country's interests is to protect the oil fields there. Not to mention the fact that Congress did not authorize our participation in this war, which is completely bogus and unconstitutional.

• imageShannonSky:
    imagePrincessShay80:
    imageCBL:
    imagePrincessShay80:
    imageCBL:
    imagePrincessShay80:

Hell, I don't think we should help. I'm sorry, but none of the current rationalizations for why we are sending resources to help the Libyan rebels fight make sense to me. Humanitarian??? Hell no, if that were the case, we'd be "helping" the multiple countries dealing with large-scale genocide in Africa. It all comes down to oil. And it doesn't seem like our "help" has been working out in other countries lately. The only tie I can see between Libya and advancing our country's interests is to protect the oil fields there. Not to mention the fact that Congress did not authorize our participation in this war, which is completely bogus and unconstitutional.

It IS interesting to see who we as a country decide to help.  Qaddaffi is bad but he's not the most terrible one out there.

This is a subjective list but it lists 20 fairly nasty guys.  As of this moment, we are only trying to get rid of one of them and one of them left after an uprising in his country.

https://www.parade.com/dictators/

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"