1st Trimester

Newly pregnant - Do I need to stop drinking Coke Zero?

If no, how many should I limit myself to per day?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Newly pregnant - Do I need to stop drinking Coke Zero?

• Moderation is fine. I cut my Dr. Pepper's to one a day.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The concern with diet drinks are the artificial sweetners...some people are hellbent on not having any, others follow the "in moderation" rule. I would probably limit myself to 1 can a day.

Ask your Dr for more advice

• Loading the player...
  • I'm no expert or anything but if it has caffine in it I would at least cut back. Here's a good article on caffeine and pregnancy. Congratulations on your new little one Smile

https://www.babycenter.com/caffeine-during-pregnancy

TTC #2 since 1/1/13

image    imageimage
  • I dropped all artificial sweetners, and I was a Diet Pepsi fiend!!  When I do drink a rare (caffienated) soda, its regular Pepsi or Coke, but I usually drink ginger ale or 7Up now.
  • I wouldn't, not only does it have caffeine but it also has aspartame, which of the sweetners is the worst one during pregnancy. If you must have pop, try schwepps diet gingerale it is sweetened with splenda which is generally considered safe during pregnancy.

Married 07/17/2010
    Diagnosed with PCOS 10/20/2010 
    TTC since Oct 2010 
    BFP #1 March 31st 2011 Due December 10 2011 
    Missed m/c discovered June 2nd 2011 at 12w4d
    D&C scheduled June 7th 2011 at 13w2d
    Found out our baby boy had Triploidy XXY through embryopathology
    BFP #2 September 28th 2011 Due June 8th 2012
    Missed m/c discovered November 20th 2011 at 11w2d
    D&C November 29th 2011 at 12w4d
    Found out our baby girl had Monosomy X through embryopathology
    BFP #3 April 24th 2012 Due January 5th 2013
    Betas falling on 04/26/12 Chemical Pregnancy
    RPL testing done, multi nodular goiters on thyroid discovered.

BFP #4 November 22nd 2012, Due August 5th 2013
    Betas: 17 @ 9dpo, 62 @ 11dpo, 124 @ 12dpo, 321 @ 14dpo 720 @ 16dpo 13,805 @ 23 dpo 
    First ultrasound at 6w3d, hb 122 bpm. 
    Second ultrasound at 7w3d hb 143 bpm 
    Third ultrasound at 10w1d hb 167-170 bpm 
    Forth ultrasound 12w1d hb 167 bpm 
    Graduated rpl program, moving on to regular ob! 
    It's a boy! 

Little man was born August 1st 2013, 7lbs 8oz and 20.5 inches long

• Moderation is fine.  Try to limit caffeine consumption to around 300 mg per day.  As PPs said, the concern with Coke Zero and other diet sodas is the artificial sweeteners. 
  • I just switched from Diet Dr. Pepper to regular Dr. Pepper.  Just limit yourself to one pop a day.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Have you tried something like LaCroix water?  I don't drink much soda pop anyway, but if I want something carbonated I like LaCroix water a lot.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • my doctor advised me to stay away from artificial sweetners... I would consult your doctor
    BabyFetus Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I agree with the advice to ask your doctor. I'm a Diet Coke fiend and my doctor said it was fine in moderation. Last time around I dropped it initially in favor of non-diet soda, but by the end was drinking it again because I had gestational diabetes and I allowed it myself as a "treat."
  • Actually, Aspartame (NutraSweet) and Sucralose (Splenda) are considered safe during pregnany in moderations. It's Saccharin (Sweet n' Low) that seems to be what should be avoided.

I would encourage against the suggestions to drink regular sodas instead of diet, as most (unless they are 'throwbacks') are made with high fructose corn syrup, which is poison. Our bodies are not made to process the stuff. It's terrible, and is part of the reason so many kids have attention problems these days. It's all in the food.

I limit myself to one Diet Dr Pepper, but only if I have a massive headache. A bit of caffeine does wonders for a headahe. Otherwise, steer clear as much as you can. Good luck!  

https://www.babycenter.com/406_is-it-safe-to-drink-diet-soda-during-pregnancy_1245945.bc

BabyFruit Ticker
    Me: 37 DH: 38 
    BFP #1 3/17/11 - DS born 12/4/11
    TFAS Dec 2013
    BFP #2 - 3/23/14 - CP 3/26/14
    BFP #3 - 8/20/14 - Natural Miscarriage 9/22/14
    BFP #4 - 1/28/15 - DS2 born 10/13/15
    Surprise BFP# 5 - 9/2/16 - Due 5/13/17

• I cut myself down to 1 Dt coke a day, in the AM and try to consume mostly water during the day....I will fudge every now and then with a sweet tea.

My Dr advised Dt was fine in moderation, so I would ask.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker image
  • imagekatie0919:

I would encourage against the suggestions to drink regular sodas instead of diet, as most (unless they are 'throwbacks') are made with high fructose corn syrup, which is poison.  

Oh FFS, stop spreading ignorant information.  Maybe you don't like HFCS, but it's certainly not POISON.  

DS 12/09, Twins EDD 11/11
  • I drink one Diet Pepsi a day, and also did so throughout my first pregnancy (some days I even had 2...gasp) and my DD is perfectly normal :o)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageAggieGrl:
    imagekatie0919:

I would encourage against the suggestions to drink regular sodas instead of diet, as most (unless they are 'throwbacks') are made with high fructose corn syrup, which is poison.  

Oh FFS, stop spreading ignorant information.  Maybe you don't like HFCS, but it's certainly not POISON.  

It's not ignorant information. Maybe you're the one that's ignorant if you don't read anything about it. Have fun feeding a bunch of that crap to your kid then.

BabyFruit Ticker
    TFAS Dec 2013

• I looove looooove loooooove Coke Zero. I drink it for the taste not for the zero calories. I tried drinking regular coke, but it's just too sweet for me. I try to just have 1 a day.
  • imagekatie0919:
    imageAggieGrl:
    imagekatie0919:

It's not ignorant information. Maybe you're the one that's ignorant if you don't read anything about it. Have fun feeding a bunch of that crap to your kid then.

Sugar is sugar and your body doesn't know the difference. HFCS is not poison...

• Wow, I didn't know any of this!  Guess I'll be cutting back now...:(
  • I still drink Diet Pepsi every day- Caffeine Free most of the time, but sometimes not.  I'm not worried about the caffeine, since it's not a huge amount, and aspartame has been ruled safe by the FDA during pregnancy.  My mom drank Diet soda all through her pregnancies with both my sister and I and we're totally fine.  (except for my sister's third eye, but she's used to it)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageMrsG.060708:
    imagekatie0919:
    imageAggieGrl:
    imagekatie0919:

Sugar is sugar and your body doesn't know the difference. HFCS is not poison...

Yes, a sugar is a sugar. However, in reality, obesity rates have skyrocketed since it was introduced into the food supply some 30 years ago. It's highly processed, which is not good (as is real sugar, for that matter). Everyone should take on the mentality that ANY sweeteners should be kept to a minimum --- and likewise, processed foods with any type of added sweetener, including HFCS. We could be a much healthier generation if we all cut the crap out of our diets. We are what we eat should take on a whole new meaning.  

No one should go around calling other people they don't know 'ignorant' until they know the facts. You can all certainly believe what you want and live the way you want, I was mearly giving my opinion based on facts that I know. No need for everyone to get all damn defensive.

BabyFruit Ticker
    TFAS Dec 2013

• I would cut it out or dramatically cut it down to 1 a day, due to the artificial sweetner and caffeine, both of which my doc says to cut out.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"