Trying to Get Pregnant

would you ever name a future DS after an exBF???

just curious if anyone here would name a DS after an exboyfriend or exhusband?

DC:#1 10/2006 born at 40 weeks (33 weeks PTL)
DC#2 born silent at 22 weeks 1.11.11
Dc#3 born vbac 1/2012 <bra DC#4 born VBAC 3/2014

Re: would you ever name a future DS after an exBF???

• No! Why would I do that?

If you mean like the same name as a guy I once dated then maybe if it were common enough, but I wouldn't name a son AFTER that person.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • My fathers name is James, and I dated a James once......we might use it as a middle name.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagehuskymomma94:
    My fathers name is James, and I dated a James once......we might use it as a middle name.

I could see this though. Or something similar.

• Do you actually mean naming a DS "after" an ex, (as in, "Ex - meet your namesake. I named him after you.") or do you mean use a name that you like that also happens to be the same as an ex's name?

If there was a family name that I really liked that also happened to be the name of someone I had briefly dated, I might consider it. If it were the name of someone I dated for longer than six months, it would be out.

But no, I would never name a child after a man I used to date who wasn't the child's father. Because that is just plain weird.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Name after an ex? Heck no!!! Would I avoid a name just because it was my ex boyfriends from my past? No I would not avoid a name if I really liked it. But I will always avoid naming my children anything that even reminds me of my ex husband or my sons mother!!
    Photobucket BabyFetus Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • Don't think I could.  Though like another poster said, maybe if it was also a family name I would.  Certainly not name the child a name because of an ex. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTC since April 2010
    Diagnosed w/PCOS as a teen
    Aug 2011 dx MFI
    Oct 2011 referral to RE 1500mg Met
    5 Rounds of Clomid
    On waiting list for injects/IUI
    P/SAIF Welcome
  • If I liked the name... sure... (ex-bf that is, not sure an ex-husband's name would make it on the list though)

It all depends if you are a person that jointly thinks of individuals with those names.  My dad liked the name Wendy, but my mom didn't even consider it because of a mean neighbor when she was growing up.  I personally don't associate names to personalities or behaviors...

TTC #1 since January 2011
    CD3 & 7DPO B/W Normal except TSH - Low
    Dx Autoimmune Thyroid Disease - 8/2011
  • NEvvvvvvvverrrrrrrr! Especially if you DH knows who your ex is. That is asking for years of resentments

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP 

• In my case, my husband would never let that fly. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think what makes it bad..is if it is an ex with a lot of history

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP 

• imagegreeneyed_bride:

Do you actually mean naming a DS "after" an ex, (as in, "Ex - meet your namesake. I named him after you.") or do you mean use a name that you like that also happens to be the same as an ex's name?

If there was a family name that I really liked that also happened to be the name of someone I had briefly dated, I might consider it. If it were the name of someone I dated for longer than six months, it would be out.

But no, I would never name a child after a man I used to date who wasn't the child's father. Because that is just plain weird.

This.  All of it.  Exactly. 

• No.  Ironically, 2 of the 3 guys I seriously dated had the initials BS and that's what they were full of - Ha!  Besides, the guys I dated had rather usual/mainstream names and I have a flair for the unusual.

Me - 37  DH - 38
    Married - Nov 2002
    DS - born April 2007
    DS - born Feb 2013
    DD - due June 13, 2016

Pregnancy Ticker
  • unless, it was common and referred to someone else significant in my life no. not me. no way.

My heart is as open as the sky.
    Read about it on the blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2 Corinthians 12:9 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

Follow Me on Pinterest
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagehuskymomma94:
    My fathers name is James, and I dated a James once......we might use it as a middle name.

In this situation, YES... other than that, no way! Creepy!

IVF #1 w/ ICSI 9/2012 (10M 6F), ET 9/24 (1 good pre-blast), BETA 10/4= BFN,
    IVF #2 Microflare w/ ICSI 12/2012 (19M 7F), ET 12/16 (2 Good blasts),
    BETA 12/26= BFP (356), BETA 12/28 (840) 2nd Ultrasound shows TWINS!!

• i dated a lot of guys, but in general I don't like any of there names for a future baby boy.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Funny thing is, my most serious boyfriend (other than DH), has the name as my DH. However we don't want that name for our LO.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
  • imagesalt78:

No! Why would I do that?

If you mean like the same name as a guy I once dated then maybe if it were common enough, but I wouldn't name a son AFTER that person.

This!

TTC since 04/2010
    Ovarian cancer survivor
    DH= low motility
    2/9/11 lap & hysteroscopy- uterine polyp & scar tissue removed
    3/25/11 IUI#1= BFP m/c; D&C at 7w3d (Trisomy 16)
    IUIs #2, #3, #4 and #5= BFNs
    Onto IVF #1= BFN
    FET 4/6/12= 2 extended blasts transferred, with one hatching
    Beta 1= 607; Beta 2= 1,564; Beta 3= 24,439; Beta 4= over 64,000
    First u/s on 5/10= TWINS! Heartbeats 158 and 160!
    It's a boy and a girl!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    My Blog
    Huge congrats to my beautiful BFPB lmj8284, due June 2012!
    "When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." -FDR
  • LOL! On purpose, heck no! Are you kidding!!?!

Funny story (funny and not so funny at the same time), my dad recommended a middle name to my mom when they were having me. He thought it was beautiful. She agreed and they named me that. About a year after I was born, my mom found out my dad recommended that name after his first high school/college love! Now it's one of those funny, not so funny stories. My parents were only married two years...so obviously, it was never destined to work out anyway! HA! Love the both of them, but still joke with my dad about this BS!

• imageHydeBride:
    No.  Ironically, 2 of the 3 guys I seriously dated had the initials BS and that's what they were full of - Ha!  Besides, the guys I dated had rather usual/mainstream names and I have a flair for the unusual.

HAHAHAHAHA!

• No way! I think DH would be offended!

• imagepartymama:
    In my case, my husband would never let that fly. 

Yes  This. My DH is a green eyed monster. He doesn't even say their names if it comes up in conversation.

• Nope, good thing I don't like any of them names of my exes!
  • I wouldn't name DS after an ex, but if his name was common and happened to be a family name, I would have to talk to DH about how he felt about it.

TTC #1 since 3/11

BFP #1 5/4/11 EDD 1/12/12 natural m/c 5/17/11

BFP #2 8/9/11 EDD 4/18/12 ectopic pregnancy (methotrexate) 8/24/11 ruptured tube and removal 8/29/11

BFP #3 3/9/12 EDD 11/19/12 Logan born 11/18/12

BFP #4 10/21/14 EDD 6/30/15

~*~*Everyone Welcome*~*~
  • Only if one of my exes had the same name as DH.
    Robin - CO Mod * RP & JHutch Lover * Hufflepuff
    <><
    Tizzle 10/07 ~ Boppy 7/09 ~ Chicken 1/12
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    Books read in 2013: ~ Audiobooks listened to in 2013: 3
    Currently reading: The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon
    Currently listening to: The Dark Divine by Bree Despain
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Robin (jason&robin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf) image
  • I am trying to talk my DH out of this. We were talking about our high school flames one day and I mentioned one that I never dated but he chased me. I would have dated him and should have dated him but I was being stupid with someone else. Now my DH loves the name and wants to use it. I have told him that everytime I hear the name it remonds me of the other boy but he says once it is our son that will change. UGH. At least I like the name.
  • No.

My DH's 7th grade girlfriend name her son Noah and that is my hubby's name! I found it to be really weird. It actually created a little bit of drama at my household when I found out.

9 angels in heaven-3 in my arms and 1 in the NICU                                                                                                                                    
    Mono/di twin girls: Josephine born to heaven and Evangeline born Earthside at 25w

• My boy name is David because that's my FIL's name and there is a family tradition to name the boy after the grandpa.  David is also the name of the guy I dated before H - but only for like 3 months.  I feel like it's weird...and I'm sure ex-bf will think it's weird but I'll still do it.
  • one of the middle names we talk about is "ryan", and thats an ex of mine. But also a fav QB of DH and I... so its still a possibility
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagejason&robin:
    Only if one of my exes had the same name as DH.

Ditto this!  And hubby has a very common name...I actually dated 2 guys before him who had the same name lol.  So if we name a son after DH this would wind up happening, but I wouldn't mind it in that case.

my currently-reading shelf:
    Jennifer's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
  • Um....no. I think there are plenty of other name options available.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I would never name them AFTER an ex but if an ex happened to have a name that was special to dh and I then I would consider it. But I would be completely upfront and honest with dh about it. 

Luckily, we already have phantom ds' name picked due to dh's family traditions. 

Little Slick
    Born 6.26.10
    Forever a Family 11.26.12
  • No. I love the name of 2 of my ex's but one of them isn't a very common name and I'm still good friends with both so it would be weird. I really love those names too :(

ETA- They were more flings than ex's but still.

TTC#1 since Dec. 2010- 12/2011 Hyperthyroid with Grave's
    10/2012= DX unexplained IF
    IUI #2- 4/25/13- BFP 5/9/13- CP
    IUI#4- 9/3/13- BFP 9/17/13- EDD 05/27/14
    First ultrasound 10/8/13- 7weeks 130bpm
    12/23/13 18 weeks 152bpm BABY GIRL!
    Annabel Rose
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Definitely no. My DH's ex actually has a really pretty name that I'd love to consider for a girl but that definitely won't be happening. I'm the type would associates names with people and therefore have a hard time settling on any.
  • There is no way... my hubby would hate that! But when I think about it, I would never name a daughter after one of his exes either, just on principle! But neither of us are friendly or in contact with exes.
  • If I am in a relationship with someone else I think it would be  wrong to name my son after an old boyfriend.  So wrong.
  • HECK NO!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • HELL NO. My ex is a horrible horrible person, even if it was a family name we would never use it in a million years. DH would be furious if I even suggested it as a joke....which I wouldn't.

There are a million names out there, why would I pick one that has bad memories associated with it?

• Absolutely not!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"