North Carolina Babies

Home Now....

Just had lunch, now I am just hanging out.  I know the company HAD to lay people off but you can't help but feel like somewhat of a loser...  Thankfully, this is the first time I've ever had to deal w/ this, so I am lucky in that regard.

I've been trying to look up info on unemployment, I can't file until 11/4 but I want to have a lot of the info together when I tell DH.  I can't find anything to confirm the $500 a week.  If I get that we can manage.  I really am starting to see this as a potential blessing, as I may get to stay home longer w/ Will.

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Home Now....

• Yeah... even if you KNOW it had nothing to do with your job performance, losing a job is a huge blow to the self esteem. Sad

That is great that you're starting to see it as a good thing, and a blessing. If I could get my DH on board with train of thought, instead of being in freak out mode, I'd feel closer to that way myself.

We should start our own business. Whatcha want to do? Big Smile

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

• Hmmm.... what can we do??  I am going to start brainstorming business ideas, hughes Big Smile
  • Loading the player...
  • Did you go on the unemployment site to determine your benefits?  They should be able to tell you exactly how much you'll be getting.  I was able to.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagemrsmikey:
    Did you go on the unemployment site to determine your benefits?  They should be able to tell you exactly how much you'll be getting.  I was able to.

What I found said whatever I got in the highest paying qrt. and then divide that by 26.  It wasn't as much as I thought but oh well!

Now I just read you have to apply, in person, for 2 jobs a week.....  Ugh.  That is going to suck at 9 months pregnant.

• You don't have to apply in person.  Most companies don't even take applications that way anymore.  All you have to do is apply for 2 jobs a week.  And they don't even check it.  All I did was apply online and saved a copy of the ad and when I sent in the application.  If they do decide to check on you, they can contact the company and see that you did.  Go here https://www.ncesc.com/individual/default.asp?init=true and go down to "Estimate your potential benefits".  It will pull your info and give you an exact number.  And it will tell you how much you can earn working another job before it comes out of your unemployment (which isn't much). 

• imagemrsmikey:
    You don't have to apply in person.  Most companies don't even take applications that way anymore.  All you have to do is apply for 2 jobs a week.  And they don't even check it.  All I did was apply online and saved a copy of the ad and when I sent in the application.  If they do decide to check on you, they can contact the company and see that you did.  Go here https://www.ncesc.com/individual/default.asp?init=true and go down to "Estimate your potential benefits".  It will pull your info and give you an exact number.  And it will tell you how much you can earn working another job before it comes out of your unemployment (which isn't much). 

Got it!  Thanks!  I wonder how much I'll actually have after taxes.  Ugh, now I am starting to stress.  Good to know about applying online, I figured you could do it that way.  I can make a whole $89 before it comes out of unemployment!

• It won't be taxed, unless you tell them to.  You may have to pay a little on your taxes next year because of it, but the idea is that you need all the money you can get right now, and hopefully come April you'll have another job and it won't be a big deal if you owe a couple hundred bucks.  In our case, I still didn't owe anything because we should have gotten a refund, so it just evened out.

• This is just a thought (and illegal), but if you could get a job waiting tables (which I know you can't right now, but if you need to in a couple of months), you would only make $2.13 an hour, and you could work several hours and not meet your max, and keep your tips under the table.  Just a thought :)

• Hmmm.... I like the way you think Wink

Thanks for all the info!  I feel a little more prepared now to talk to DH tomorrow.... Its going to suck for him "welcome home, babe, we are now a 1 income household!"

• I feel your pain!  When it happened to me I called DH immediately in tears freaking out!  But then by the time he got home I'd done all the research and had all the nubmers and realized we were going to be ok.  I wish I had waited to tell him before I did all that!

What are you going to do about your insurance?  You need to be really careful and make sure you're going to be covered.

• Honestly... I would see it as a blessing.  If I was to get laid off in the next few months... I would not be that upset about it.  I see you as being lucky right now. 

I will tell you from my experience, $476 a week is the max.  I did not get taxes taken out of it (but I wouldn't do that again), so I got the whole $476 a week.  I just got laid off in May and was out for 4 months.  So subtract potential taxes from that. 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"