Postpartum Depression
Options

Anybody ever used Celexa or Ativan?

Anybody here on Celexa or have ever take Ativan before?  My doctor put me on Celexa for my anxiety/slight depression/OCD and Ativan to take only on occasion for my insomnia/anxiety attacks.  He only gave me 10 .5mg of those.  Your thoughts if you have used either?
PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

Re: Anybody ever used Celexa or Ativan?

• Options
    I don't normally post here, but thought I'd reply.  I'm on the generic of Celexa.  In the very  beginning, I had a lot of night sweats and was hungry and exhausted all the time.  It did get better after a month or so.  I'm starting to wean off of it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yea, I'm on the off brand as well.  Why are you weaning off of it now...if you don't mind me asking?  I'm also worried about this...am I going to have anxiety forever and going to need drugs forever?  Or will you typically get better after a while after using it?
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've taken Ativan before. It just makes you fell relaxed and makes you not worry about anything. It doesn't make you feel drugged up.
  • Options
    I dont take Celexa or Ativan...but remember reading your previous post and just wanted to say how wonderful it is that you sought out the treatment you needed. It is a difficult step to take. You will be feeling your old self in no time. :)
    IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I was on generic celexa for about a year and a half. I had a great experience with it. I didn't really have any side effects and it really helped with the anxiety I was having. I had previously been on lexapro and and the side effects nearly killed me (literally! I passed out at work and while driving due to dramatic blood pressure drop) so it was such a relief to find something that worked. I did end up having to pair it up with welbutrin (for depression) and play with my doses for a while, but both were wonderful. 

I don't know much about the long term though. Some people seem to only need them for a block of time, especially with PPD, but others stay on them for years. My dr. always told me it was just a case by case basis. The reason I stopped taking it was because it became counter-productive about half way through my pregnancy and I started to feel better without it. I'm assuming once I have my baby I'll probably be back on it since my hormones will more or less go back to normal (well, what they use to be at least). 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    I Bump from my phone 90% of the time, with a baby in my lap, so please excuse my bad format and poor spelling and/or punctuation.
  • Options

I have been on Celexa for well over a year now. I find that in general, it helps a lot, rarely any side effects and works well for me.

As for Ativan, I used to take that. I had 30 or so on the 1mg dosage, and  I was told clearly to be careful as they are to take when you need them only and not regularily. This is because if you take it regularily, your body gets used to it really quickly, and then when you stop you'll have withdrawl symptoms, which is more anxiety. But if you really only take it as needed, when a real panic attack comes in, you'll be fine. It's great, fast acting, and really helps you relax and calm down so you can think straight.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I tried Ativan and it did nothing for me. Switched to Xanax and it works perfectly for me.
    ~Liz~ "With your very first breath, you instantly took ours away..." Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Options

I was on Celexa years ago.  I had horrible vertigo all the time (apparently a rare side effect.)  So I switched to Paxil shortly after.  So I had a hard time with it, but hopefully it will work out for you.  I was also on Ativan.  Mostly it would just make me sleep.  You can't take it all the time, ONLY when you're having a serious anxiety attack.  I would take it, then sleep, then feel better after I woke up.

I've been on several different anti-depressants in the past, but Dr is putting my on Zoloft since I'm BFing.  Will see how it goes.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"