School-Aged Children

Poll of sorts

Do you consider yourself to be a strict parent?

Is your child rearing style similar or different from your parents'?

When your child does something disappointing, do you attribute it to the child or your parenting skills?

ed: more questions:

How many kids do you have?

Has your parenting style changed with additional kids?

Re: Poll of sorts

• I feel like I'm stricter than most and much higher expectations of my kid than most. I also think I have a super awesome kid (who doesn't?) My mom was a single mom to 3 kids and she was very strict with us.  I really respect her for the kind of mom she is and find myself parenting just like her.  However, I do blame myself for when my kid messes up.  I definitely see things that I could've done better and I often wonder how that will affect a 2nd kid once we decide to have another. 
  • I am quite strict about somethings (especially manners, school work) but am pretty lax about other (bed making, snacking).

I think my parents were similar to me but they didn't know how to pick their battles -- I'm trying to avoid that!

I have 3 kids and my parenting hasn't changed much -- maybe a little more tv for the 3rd than the 1st! 

• Loading the player...
  • imageSarieP:
    I feel like I'm stricter than most and much higher expectations of my kid than most. I also think I have a super awesome kid (who doesn't?) 

I do blame myself for when my kid messes up.  I definitely see things that I could've done better and I often wonder how that will affect a 2nd kid once we decide to have another. 

This is me for the most part. I am strict with school work and manners and how my girls treat each other and how they speak to DH and myself but I am relaxed with alot of other things.

I have 3 DD's. When things go wrong with things they do, I always look at how I could have avoided that or where it stemmed from. It never fails that the two youngest pick up the oldest bad habits.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Do you consider yourself to be a strict parent? In some ways I am strict, in other ways, I am not.

Is your child rearing style similar or different from your parents'? similar

When your child does something disappointing, do you attribute it to the child or your parenting skills? A little of both. and it depends on the situation.

How many kids do you have? 2

Has your parenting style changed with additional kids?Since I have a 7 month old as well, I haven't really started parenting him yet but I do not see myself being more lenient but who knows. I am sure my oldest will tell me all the things he wasn't allowed to do while the youngest will get away with murder. lol.

• imageSarieP:

I am not super strict, but I am not a push over either.

I think it is similar, at least in the things that I choose to focus on.

When your child does something disappointing, do you attribute it to the child or your parenting skills?.

Both.  My kids haven't had much of a chance to disappoint, but I do think that both come into play.

Two

I am more relaxed about parenting with two.  Obviously, I can't focus on both kids at once, so I have to adjust my expectations of both of them.  DS has to be more patient than DD was at his age.  DD & DS have to "help" more, be it getting dressed, playing on their own, getting a long together without me, which is big.  DD really has to step up to "manage" her brother.  Choosing her battles instead of yelling for mommy every time he touches a princess crown.

• Do you consider yourself to be a strict parent? It depends on the issue. I see myself as strict but reasonable.

Is your child rearing style similar or different from your parents'? Different but there are a few similiarities.

When your child does something disappointing, do you attribute it to the child or your parenting skills? Well, neither. We're doing the best we can and sometimes, children make mistakes. We talk about it and work through it.

How many kids do you have? 2

Has your parenting style changed with additional kids? As time passes and they get older, my parenting style gets modified to suit the time and age.

Sophie Elisabeth 07.23.02 and Charlotte Abigail 12.08.04 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker ~However motherhood comes to you, it's a miracle. ~
  • imageSarieP:

I'm a bit more strict than my parents were.  I was a really good kid, and my mom's lucky, because she can be a pushover.  I am very firm with limits and with holding my kids responsible for the consequences of their decisions.  I've heard others describe me as "strict," but I'm not a yeller.  My kids don't describe me as a strict mom.

Pretty similar, actually.  My sister and I were spanked occasionally.  I don't spank.   

When your child does something disappointing, do you attribute it to the child or your parenting skills?

I mostly attribute it to children needing to make mistakes a lot.  I try not to take it personally.  I try to reflect on the "big picture" of my parenting and to be honest with myself, but I don't agonize and doubt myself over every mistake my kids make. 

Two.  DD - 10/fifth grade, DS - 6/kindy. 

Yes, for better and for worse.  Part of this has to do with me being a more experienced mom with kid #2. I understand what's "normal" for kids more than I did when my DD was small.  I'm more experienced.  I probably don't push my son as hard as I did my daughter.  I know that he'll mature in time even without my pushing.  Is this a good thing?  Sometimes; sometimes not.

I also can't help but parent them differently because they're different!  My DD is more verbal and logical, both in good ways and in the defiant/argumentative way.  She is more confrontational and sassy -- a little more of a hard-a$$!!  My son is more emotional and a little more sensitive.  He's not as directly defiant.  He cries more easily and gets his feelings hurt when he's scolded.  I find it harder to be as firm with him because he provokes a feeling of wanting to protect him.  I have to work hard to avoid being manipulated by this!

My H sees my son as much more of a pistol than I do.  They have a more verbally confrontational relationship, similar to the way I interact with my DD.  My H is a little softer on my DD and a little more susceptible to her verbal arguments.  So, we try to talk about it a lot and balance each other out.  It can be a source of tension in our marriage if we don't air our feelings regularly! 

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"