Nurseries and Baby Gear

Strollers - HELP!!

My baby is ready to transition from the Snap'n'Go to a "real stroller" but I have no idea what to get?!?!? 

My child is 6 months old and we run lots of errands and are active.  I've heard the BOB is amazing but it's also $400+ and my issue is I want to have another baby ideally by next summer which will lead to needing another stroller.

So, what do I get in the mean time and what is recommended for 2 kids?  HELP!

Re: Strollers - HELP!!

• Spring for the double BOB now?  The way it's set up, you can use the infant adapter on one side (or both) and use the other side for a bigger kid.  The adapter comes off easily too, so you would get quite a bit of use out of it as your kids grow.

I have a single BOB and *LOVE* how it handles on walks, etc.  I will say that for running quick errends it can be a bit of a PITA because it takes up most of the trunk space, and it's annoying having a larger stroller in small spaces (i.e. doctor's office, small stores).  Not sure if this is helping your decision at all....

BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • People love the city mini.

I have the Phil and Ted and love it. We used it for one and then bought the convertor kit and now it is set up for 2. It's easy b/c it is not wide and easy to fold. I will say that I plan to use it until my youngest is about 15-18 months and then I might get a city mini. I don't think that the tandem set up is great for older babies b/c they can't see much but it will be fine until she is about a little over a year. It was perfect for a 2 year old and newborn b/c it lays flat.The good thing about some strollers is you can sell them for a pretty good value.

You are very smart not to invest a lot in a single stroller if you plan to have your kids close together--although, you could probably resell a quality stroller.

Another option is to get a good umbrella stroller now -uppa or maclaren. Then you can sell it and get a double stroller later.

• Loading the player...
  • I agree with meplusone about the Phil & Ted's...I had one till very recently with my 2 boys (they are 18 months apart in age) and it was perfect.  I could use it as a single when I just had one with me, and it was a great double set up as well (I like that it is still the "footprint" of a single even with 2 kids in it).  Now that my boys are 4 and 2.5, I went ahead and sold it.  Neither of them is very interested in being in a stroller (and they can both get out easily so it doesn't contain them), so I got a City Mini single for the new baby.  Love this too! 
    Jack 3.5.07 / Ethan 9.17.08 / Lauren 4.3.11 image
  • Thanks!  I know people love the City Mini but just had a friend tell me about the P&T so I'm going to look into that.  I'll probably get a nice umbrella stroller for now as suggested above and then spring for the P&T when we need it.
  • We're getting an Uppababy Vista. It can turn into a double stroller with the rumble seat.  Check it out!
  • I recommend checking craigslist. You might be surprised with the brand name strollers people are selling on there.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'd recommend the Baby Jogger City Select...you can use it as a single until the new baby arrives, and then it converts to a double (also as a double with one seat being a car seat). This has been one of the BEST purchases I have ever made...I absolutely LOVE this stroller. It rides smooth, has a hand brake, has at least 16 different ways you can position the seats, and each seat can do a full recline....which is great for napping.  There's also an optional bassinet attachment too, if you are into that. Seriously...it is amazing stroller.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I also have the city select now that I am expecting our second - LOVE IT.  And you can use it as a single for now, then expand it as you go.  I'm using mine as a single and I have everything else for it in the closet :) 

ttf21e9.aspx

ttf2202.aspx

• I use a Phil and Ted with my DD and the little girl that I watch. I would highly recommend it. It is easily transformed from a single to a double, can be used with a car seat and is very compact and light.

• Just so you know, BOBs hold their value really well. I got a single late last summer, used perhaps five times, and now will be selling it since we are expecting another one. We will be getting a BOB double My point...even if you get a single now you can sell it on craigslist to get a double when you need it
  • Check out the Britax B-Ready.

DH & I were between the Britax and the City Mini.

Britax is PERFECT for two kids (half its appeal) and right now they're offering the "free ride event" so you can get either a infant car seat/second child seat/bassinet for free.

I've found Amazon has the best prices.  

Tip?  Sign up for a baby registry saying your child will be born in the next month or so, then use the 10% completion coupon on the purchase.  It'll take a $400 stroller (plus free infant seat etc) down to about $350 plus tax. 

You won't need two strollers either, since the B-Ready is designed for multiple kids.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was looking at these two strollers as well, but after research, found them to be completely different in size.  Have you found this?  The city mini is smaller and is only 16lbs, while the Britax is a lot larger looking from the demonstration videos and is like , 28 lbs.    

I liked the look of both, but for the weight difference, I might have to go with the City Mini.   

• imageAloubrakebill:

I was looking at these two strollers as well, but after research, found them to be completely different in size.  Have you found this?  The city mini is smaller and is only 16lbs, while the Britax is a lot larger looking from the demonstration videos and is like , 28 lbs.    

I liked the look of both, but for the weight difference, I might have to go with the City Mini.   

We (DH & I) went to Babies R Us and while we were there (we were actually checking out gliders and a couple literally walked up to the girl who was helping us) we saw a couple who had bought the city mini + attachment + infant seat and were having a serious issue getting the infant seat to be secure.

We sat and watched since this since the CM was our other choice, and finally decided that it wasn't worth the hassle.  You had to take off the canopy for the city mini to even fit the infant seat and then the issue was that the seat just felt and looked wobbly.  They were going to return it. 

I'll take the secure infant seat and plenty of storage over 10lbs any day I decided.

City Mini was our top runner, too.  :(  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"