Toddlers: 24 Months+

Giving up Lovey?

DS has had the same lovey since he was about 5 months old. He has never slept since without it. He carries it around some days and others he doesn't. When did your DC give up their lovey, or have they? Before DD was born 4 months ago he only took naps and slept with it at night. But when DD was born he got really attached and we figured it might help him transition better. Now I'm wondering when he might give it up.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Giving up Lovey?

• What is it, like a blanket or stuffed animal? I wouldn't worry about giving it up ever, honestly. Eventually he'll outgrow the attachment, if for no other reason than it being "uncool" to tote around a lovey. I really don't see the harm in a comfort item like that. DD is super attached to a stuffed polar bear she has, and I have no plans to ever make her give it up. I suspect he'll fall apart first. :-)

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

• It's a small blanket with a bear head attached that the hospital gave us. I'm not thinking of taking it away, but maybe restricting it to sleep time only again. That's really the only time he HAS to have it. Sometimes he will leave at home when we go to church or other short trips. But if it's around nap time, we have to take it! I was really just curious.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • DD#1 never had one but DD#2 has a small Little Giraffe Blanket (she calls it Blanka) that she has to have and I will be fine if she has it forever.  We have rules of where it can go - it can be in the car, she can have it anywhere in the house but not at the kitchen table, it never leaves the car when we are out unless we tell her so - we take it into the dentist/doctor office as it comforts her.  She gets it more often when we are travling or if she is sick.  We let her take it into relatives houses but if she is not holding it, she knows it has to be on my purse so we don't lose it.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • imagejlw2505:
    DD#1 never had one but DD#2 has a small Little Giraffe Blanket (she calls it Blanka) that she has to have and I will be fine if she has it forever.  We have rules of where it can go - it can be in the car, she can have it anywhere in the house but not at the kitchen table, it never leaves the car when we are out unless we tell her so - we take it into the dentist/doctor office as it comforts her.  She gets it more often when we are travling or if she is sick.  We let her take it into relatives houses but if she is not holding it, she knows it has to be on my purse so we don't lose it.
    those are pretty much our lovey guidelines too.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My oldest is 5 and still very much in love with his lovey. Honestly, the thought of him not needing lambchop or his other beloved babies/animals kills me. I hope it's not any time soon.
  • BIK is 22 and still sleeps with his. It's a mini pillow.
  • I still have mine.  I green blanket - I keep it in a drawer.  I slept with it for a long time.  Usually only at home.  WHen I was younger 9 or 20ish I remember my dad putting it in my sleepinng bag then rolling up the sleeping bag so I would have it at a sleepover and nobody would know.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I distinctly remember giving up my blankie around 6th grade. I still have it, but I just stopped sleeping with it then.

My sister (she's 23), still sleeps with hers. Yes, I do kind of make fun of her for that.

• DD has two blankies she carries around.  She used to just need one and we had one hidden away as a back-up, but one day she found the back-up and insisted she needed them both...one for each hand.  She's been sleeping with it since she was around 6mos, but it was around 1yr that we noticed her really getting attached to it and wanting it outside of naps/nighttime.  We try to leave them in her bed as much as possible, but this is more to avoid them getting lost or dirty than to restrict her from having them.  If she really wants to carry them around, take them with us on outings, etc. then we allow it.  She also has one that she keeps in her backpack at school and the teacher allows her to have it at naptime and during the day if she's ever sad.  I think it's a totally healthy attachment for kids to have and will leave it completely up to her to give it up when she's ready.
  • DD actually seems more attatched to her lovey lately, but we just don't let her take it out of the house
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • DD has a cloth doll she loves and can't sleep without. However "Sonya" stays exclusively in her room except when we are going out of town. We started this in part because I had a blanket I was very attached to, and the times that I lost it were miserable for me and my entire family :). So far it seems to be working well, and if she wants to sleep with Sonya until she is 20 she can go at it- I will wean her from thumb sucking, but not from her lovey :-)
    Peru!
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD has a small blankie with a bunny head attached. She loves her bunny and proclaims so on a daily basis. I had a teddy bear (which is now tucked in with Madi every night) and a stuffed smurf that were my lovies. I outgrew them eventually as she will with her bunny. But for now I am okay with letting her be a little girl and taking her lovey on all her little adventures. If a tiny little blanket with an animal head makes her feel confident and secure then thats okay. To be honest as I type this, B-2 (thats what we call the backup bunny),  is sitting here next to me while I type. OB or original bunny, was zipped into her coat so she could take him to daycare with her :)

• My DS has this really ratty looking bear that he LOVES. It goes everywhere with us. The car, OOT, Mimi's house, you name it. That bear has more frequent flier miles than most adults. We don't restict where he takes it. I actually think it's very sweet how much love he has for it. The flip side is I get paranoid often looking for the thing and making sure we have it. When he was about 16 months old we had to try back 2 hours to a hotel to retrieve it. He is almost 3 and is showing no signs of backing off.
  • DS has a blanket with a puppy dog head.  He loves it.  I don't plan on breaking the habit.  We have five of them.  He has been attached to since 4 months old so we bought 4 more so we can rotate and wash them.  He usually only sleeps with them but it's in my purse for playdates in case he falls.  It will comfort him immediately.  
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD has been sleeping with the same lovey since she was about 3 or 4 months old. She doesn't tote it around during the day, but that lovey- an Angel Dear blankie with a froggy head- has been around the world with us on trips to see various friends and family members. I've tried buying back-ups in case the original is ever lost, but she knows the difference and always reaches for the original, even in her sleep, even if the bed is full of the back-up loveys or other favorite dolls or me. (I just shared a bed with her for ten days on vacation, so I know this is the case.)

I do ask myself how long she will feel this attached, but I do not plan to intervene in her attachment in any way. It would be awful if the original lovey ever got lost, but I'll deal with that if it ever happens. I don't plan to be the cause of any misery.

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"