Military Families

Tri care ? and giving birth at Womack Army Hospital

With DS I gave birth as a military hospital and while I received excellent care I was hoping this time around I could pick my hospital.  I think we have Tri-car Standard.  I guess my question is we live right by Womack so can I choose to give birth someplace else or do I need to switch to prime?  Sorry I'm really confused about how all this works- the last few years we have been using tricar overseas which we had no options for so this is all new to me.

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Tri care ? and giving birth at Womack Army Hospital

• If you're on Standard, you can go see any Dr you'd like and deliver at the hospital they're affiliated with. If you're on Prime, you go through OB at the MTF unless they're full and refer you off post. You need to call Tricare and ask what insurance you're on.
  • Ditto the above. You should also know that Womack is one of the best army hospitals out there! Very progressive in terms of having midwifery clinics and being less medicalized, but having full access to everything you might ever need. Hope you find the right fit for you!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image
    221_-6_Little Charlotte is.png" alt="baby" border="0" />
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm giving birth at Womack! haha I haven't heard fabulous things about Cape Fear in terms of delivery, but I have no personal experience, and I really can't verify what I have heard, just some basic internet research. When I went to my PCM off post she was even telling me that Womack would be the best. Their facility is only around 10 years old, per my understanding. I know/know of a few people who delivered there and they were VERY happy.

I'm not too privy to Tricare's ways, but I say it really is up to you. Maybe go and see all your options and talk to doctors before you make your decision to switch to Prime or not?

I don't know if you would also go to the OB clinic at Womack. I got put through the ringer trying to get everything set up (partly because of my husbands and my situation, but part was just getting no straight answer), beginning with just getting a dang referral. What I'm getting at, if you do decide for Womack and the process makes no sense, please feel free to PM me!

Good luck making your decision! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • If you're on Standard you get to choose. On Prime you'll be seen at Womack ... they're not full.

Before making any decisions to switch, TOUR the hospitals, and talk to the staff, and do some research. Yes, Womack was only completed about 10 years ago, but the blueprints were from the 80s from what I understand. I've heard good and bad about delivering at Womack. I've been being seen by the midwifery clinic at Womack thus far, but have decided on alternate care for the remainder of my pregnancy as well as L/D and postpartum. It's nothing major scary red flags or anything, just personal preference.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageMilMom2B:

If you're on Standard you get to choose. On Prime you'll be seen at Womack ... they're not full.

Before making any decisions to switch, TOUR the hospitals, and talk to the staff, and do some research. Yes, Womack was only completed about 10 years ago, but the blueprints were from the 80s from what I understand. I've heard good and bad about delivering at Womack. I've been being seen by the midwifery clinic at Womack thus far, but have decided on alternate care for the remainder of my pregnancy as well as L/D and postpartum. It's nothing major scary red flags or anything, just personal preference.

do you HAVE to use a midwife if you go to womack? my referral just got denied when i switched to prime so i have to leave my wonderful civilian ob and go to womack... kinda upset about it but tricare... psshh. anyway... are there regular obs there too?

• Yes, there are regular OBs, but (4 years ago from my experience) the OBs were primarily reserved for higher risk or older mamas. I think by default they put you in one of the midwife clinics, which is where I'd rather be, anyway. I had wonderful care there. If Major Tom (forget his last name) or MAJ Terwilliger are still there, they are terrific.

If Sue McGann is still there, stay far far away from her. I met with her once in an appt where she caused me to cry, and I had the misfortune to have her as the mw on call when I went into birth. She was rude, unattentive, indifferent, and the nurses feared calling her in the middle of the night (when she was ON SHIFT) when I was bleeding postpartum because she is so nasty. I filed a huge complaint on ICE. Avoid her. 

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image
    221_-6_Little Charlotte is.png" alt="baby" border="0" />
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"