Illinois Babies

The million dollar question is..

So my hubbie and I are getting ready to register in the next month. With that being said I was wondering what places you ladies are registering. We were thinking of Buy, Buy, Baby ( even though its in the burbs), target possibly, and a botique style store. Any feedback?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: The million dollar question is..

• BBB is overpriced and overwhelming. Almost everything there is marked up 5-10$ more than Target or Babies R Us. I don't expect my friends and family to shell out a ton of money for my baby or things we've asked for, so I chose reasonably priced places that are also centrally located to everyone. Since my husband's family is literally all across the country, we chose Target and Babies R Us, which are in all states and are not overpriced.

Married: 7.09 
    Avery: 7.11 
    Molly: 7.13
  • We registered at Buy Buy Baby and Target. We love Buy Buy Baby! They are so friendly and helpful there and have a good selection. Personally, I HATE Babies 'R Us. The two by me are always disorganized, dirty, have less selection, and I can never find anyone to help. There are more locations of Babies 'R Us, however. Also, Buy Buy Baby accepts Bed Bath and Beyond coupons, which is great. I would just pick whatever stores you like best.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageMamaC2b2011:
    BBB is overpriced and overwhelming. Almost everything there is marked up 5-10$ more than Target or Babies R Us. I don't expect my friends and family to shell out a ton of money for my baby or things we've asked for, so I chose reasonably priced places that are also centrally located to everyone. Since my husband's family is literally all across the country, we chose Target and Babies R Us, which are in all states and are not overpriced.

I'm going to have to disagree with BBB being overpriced. I have recently (in the last month) purchased 2 things at bbb that were $10 cheaper at BBB then BRU. I always thought they were more expensive, until this occured. One was a car seat and the other was an adidas wind suit.

Anyway, we registered at BBB and BRU (and Target, but didn't tell anybody, it was only for the gift card they were offering at the time, their return policy stinks I didn't want to deal with it).  Like NathsPrincss said, BBB takes BBB coupons, as long as they are not expired which is nice.

I would say people shopped at both stores equally. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • We registered at Babies R Us and I WISH I would have gone with another company.  Babies R Us has the worst return policy.  My husband to this day hates Babies R Us and refuses to shop there.  Go with a place you like and if they have the items you are looking for.  GL!
    31 months!
  • You really can't go wrong with Babies R Us!!! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • We did Amazon and a boutique close to my house. Some of my older relatives balked at the Amazon registry, but things were so much cheaper that my cousins helped out my aunts and it all worked out. I also gave my mom the password in case anyone wanted to buy something at a store in person so she could mark it as purchased on Amazon. 
  • imageMamaC2b2011:
    BBB is overpriced and overwhelming. Almost everything there is marked up 5-10$ more than Target or Babies R Us. I don't expect my friends and family to shell out a ton of money for my baby or things we've asked for, so I chose reasonably priced places that are also centrally located to everyone. Since my husband's family is literally all across the country, we chose Target and Babies R Us, which are in all states and are not overpriced.

I absolutely disagree with this. BBB is not anymore overpriced than anywhere else, nor is it overwhelming. It's like walking into a Bed Bath and Beyond where everything is super clean, well organized, and well helpfully staffed (in Schaumburg at least), much unlike any BRU I've been in. And the selection at BBB is definitely greater than BRU and Target put together IMO- though I shop at all three if need be.

That said, if you're registering at BBB and a boutique, I'd also register at a Target or BRU since those stores are more accessible.

Have fun!

click the pic (blog)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loved BBB.  We registered at Giggle too but everything was purchased from BBB nearly. I really have been pleased with all the shopping we've done at Giggle though.
    BFP 4/23/09. D&E 7/17/09 16W5D. BFP #2 3/10/10. EDD 11/15/10 Babycakes was born 11/5/10! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We will register at BBB and BRU.  I went to BBB this weekend and loved it. I didn't find it to be overpriced and they still offer 20% off coupons.

I was going to go with Target but their return policy is really crappy. 

BabyFruit Ticker

• Honestly BBB has almsot all the stuff we wanted to get at a botique were going to be sticking with BBB and possibly Target. Some of you said that Target return policy is horrid, really is it that bad.. ugh
  • imageArlysellers:
    Honestly BBB has almsot all the stuff we wanted to get at a botique were going to be sticking with BBB and possibly Target. Some of you said that Target return policy is horrid, really is it that bad.. ugh
    There is a cap on the $$ amount you can return a YEAR!  Plus they are not very accommodating returning anything without a receipt, even if it's on your registry.  Plus there are a lot of complaints about them not updating your registry, so you end up with duplicates you have a hard time returning/exchanging. 

This made me not decide on Target:

https://baby411.typepad.com/babybargains/2007/02/we_get_letters_.html

BabyFruit Ticker

• I agree that BBB is NOT overpriced.  Not only do they have by far the best selection around, but the employees actually know what they are talking about there and are so helpful.  I don't think the employees at BRU know the first thing about baby stuff....they just work there (if you can ever find an employee who isn't just standing around the register smacking her gum!).  At BBB, there are employees everywhere every time I've gone.  Besides, you can always use 20% off coupons at BBB.  And their return/exchange policy is awesome.  

We registered at BBB and Amazon.  I loved both registries and didn't regret my decision. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I have a good way of dealing with the Target return policy.  There is a Registry Log you have to print off along with your registry - print these items out (if you don't have at least a gift receipt) and you will have no issues returning items at the listed price.  What I don't like about the Target registry is that they are disorganized and the discontinue items randomly so suddenly it becomes limited or unavailable, regardless of the fact that item was fully stocked when I first registered for it, and worst of all the cashiers are TERRIBLE at taking items off of the registries.  I kept track of my registry to avoid duplicates.....HA!  I got a bunch of duplicates from the Target registry AND the items were still marked as "unfulfilled". 

I really liked BRU though.  I able to use a bunch of 20% off coupons at the same time, got a lot of great deals on a lot of items that there was no way would be less expensive anywhere.  Plus the 15% off the entire balance of your registry (on a one day shopping trip) was awesome.  Overall, they were my best bet.  They had everything, they restocked periodically, but well.  I didn't get any duplicates (other than books - people shopped a lot of different stores for books).  The only thing I dislike is the confusing rewards points I'm supposed to receive but haven't get.  I thought it was dollar for dollar, but it's like 40 cents to the dollar, that's great too, but have yet to see a rewards certificate.  And try to call the number for the points card....OMG....such a pain....  Overall I still choose BRU over Target.  BBB I felt was a bit overpriced as well - maybe if you're an avid shopper and have time to research prices, than it's a great store - I felt the opposite.  No one mentioned it but there is one more registry - Baby Depot - TOTAL TRAIN WRECK!  AVOID!  I walked in and walked out.  Not worth your time of $$.  JMHO.

• BRU takes Buy Buy baby coupons too!!!
  • I registered at both BRU and Buy Buy Baby.  I would have preferred to go with just Buy Buy Baby, but it wasn't as accessible for a lot of people.  The staff at Buy Buy Baby has always been so helpful and friendly.  Babies R Us is disorganized, dirty and the staff is not helpful.  My husband called Babies R Us to ask if they carried Dutalier rockers.  The woman on the phone told him that they did.  When we went to to the store, we did not see any, so we asked for some help.  The woman in the furniture department could not help us.  She called someone else over her was asking my husband 20 questions about his phone call to try to show that he somehow misconstrued the conversation, which he clearly didn't.  After that experience we were less impressed with Babies R Us since they don't know their products and are not friendly or helpful.  Buy Buy Baby also has a better coupon policy.  Babies R Us will only take one per order, but Buy Buy Baby will take one per item.
  • I think that they are all pretty resonable BBB and Babies. I do think that Babies R us return policy is terrible. Hold on to all gift receits. They both offer coupons so it can be good for family and friends. I did BRU and Target.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageGaGaBean:

I have a good way of dealing with the Target return policy.  There is a Registry Log you have to print off along with your registry - print these items out (if you don't have at least a gift receipt) and you will have no issues returning items at the listed price.  What I don't like about the Target registry is that they are disorganized and the discontinue items randomly so suddenly it becomes limited or unavailable, regardless of the fact that item was fully stocked when I first registered for it, and worst of all the cashiers are TERRIBLE at taking items off of the registries.  I kept track of my registry to avoid duplicates.....HA!  I got a bunch of duplicates from the Target registry AND the items were still marked as "unfulfilled". 

I had the worst experience ever. I only registered at Target because my MIL demanded that I register at a store that had a location in Indy.  Loved BBB and Giggle. RH was a disaster.  They compensated me so I can't complain.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"