Special Needs
Options

Discipline and Aspergers?

My younger brother is 15 and was dx with Aspergers around 10 years ago.  He is currently being homeschooled due to violent outbreaks in school and the fact that he missed over half the school year because he didn't want to get up and go. The only thing he's interested in is playing video games and computer games, and that is literally the only thing he does besides sleep and eat. He gets agitated very easily and throws violent fits including throwing knives at my sister, hitting my mom on the head with a broom, and going after my step dad. My mom doesn't know what to do about disciplining him because she doesn't want him to grow up feeling like he's a bad person and blame everything on himself, much like my step dad does who also has Aspergers. She's read several different books and says all the books tell you is how to try and avoid a meltdown, not how to deal with the child throwing a fit. My brother will often use "getting upset" as a way to play video games and he'll say that's the only way for him to calm down. It's very frustrating and my parents have no idea what to do with him anymore and they have pretty much just given up and let him do what he wants. I would love to get any help or advice that I could share with them! TIA!

Re: Discipline and Aspergers?

• Options

My heart goes out to your family and everything you're going through.  I definitely know your struggle.  Our son shows a lot of the same behaviors, and has been removed from many schools because of them.  He'll be 14 this summer, and we're starting to think about a possible residential school in hopes that a more stable routine will be able to extinguish those behaviors.  It's not an easy choice to make - and we don't want to let him go, but we don't know what else to do.  If you want someone to talk to, feel free to message me...I'm open to sharing more details about our situation and what we have tried (both successfully and unsuccessfully) - but I'd prefer to keep a lot of that off the message boards.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My brother is 13 and you pretty much described him to a tee, the only difference is instead of the violence towards others he goes the other way and threatens to hurt himself, my mom has been trying to get him diagnosed for over 4 years now and finally today he was. The school he is in doesnt want to accomadte him they just want to turn the other cheek. my brother would also use a fit to get xbox, my mother gives it to him as it takes swo much out of everyone to fight with him. My stepfather has recently stepped in and taken the xbox away till he can treat everyone pleasantly. i feel so bad for him the kids pick on him in school and the way he acts at home makes no one want to give him positive attention, as he will antagonizde till he gets a reaction, our mom sells puppies out of her home (she breeds a few times a year) and i remember one day he was pushing her so she sent him to his room, he wouldnt go so she stood up to make him and he ran away screaming "dont hit me AGAIN" i know she has never hit him. we are at a loss as well. I feel so bad because we all love him and want him to be happy, but i will throw in his dr did tell us that most kids like him grow up and get married and live normal productive lives if thats any help
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"