Illinois Babies
Options

? for 2nd time moms - putting baby in crib right away

We cannot decide what we want to do about the sleeping situation during the first 6 weeks. I want to attempt to put the baby in his/her crib right away so that he/she doesn't get too used to be out of their room.  We are getting a handed down bassinet, so we will have that on stand-by in case this is an epic fail.. but how do I know when to give up?

I would love to hear stories from moms who have done this and what it was like.  Any tips and suggestions are also welcome.

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: ? for 2nd time moms - putting baby in crib right away

• Options
    We had the little one in a bassinet in our room for the first 7 weeks.  We decided when I went back to work to put her in her crib.  We didn't have any problems with it.  Hope that helps!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

DS was in his room at 2-3 weeks. DH couldn't sleep with him in our room since DS made so much noise when he slept. With how little sleep we were getting at that point those few hours were so important. At first I struggled with it but with the monitor we were fine. I am glad we did it when we did since we didn't need to have a huge transition later on to his crib.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

i understand wanting your baby used to their room, but i strongly suggest the bassinet in your room method for the first few weeks. if you really want to start in the crib definatly invest in a good, loud, baby monitor.

good luck!!! 

BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DD was in her room from night 1 and it worked for us. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

DD was in our room for 6 months in her pack'n'play. We had no problems transitioning to her crib in her own room at that point. She did nap in her crib from 5 months, so it wasn't new to her.

If you really want the baby in their crib, you can either put the crib in your room and give that a shot for a few weeks, or, as PP said, get a good monitor. Babies are up to eat/get a diaper change/just snuggle very often at first, you want to make sure you can hear them if they need you. 

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Both my boys were in their cribs in their rooms from night 1.  I did formula feed so I think makes a difference.  We have monitors that vibrate and are pretty loud.  It wasn't a problem at all for us.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"