Health & Exercise
Options

C-section & Abs ?

Anyone know roughly how long after a c-section you should wait before trying to tone your abs? 6 months, a year? I have a feeling I am really going to miss having a flat belly this summer.

Re: C-section & Abs ?

• Options
    I started back with my personal trainer at about 8-9 weeks and we did it very gradually with things like "half dead bug", etc.  The biggest thing besides the recovery from the surgery is to make sure that your abdominal muscles haven't separated during pregnancy and your OB/midwife will check this at your 6w pp visit.  GL!
    DS born via c/s 11/08 and med-free GD VBAC DD 3/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    You can start whenever you get the ok from your doc.  It might be 6 weeks, it might be 8 if your abs haven't separated.  Just build up gradually - you won't be doing any stability ball pikes immediately, but you can do crunches, planks, etc.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Silly question but how do you know if your abs separated?  My OB made no mention of this at my 6 week appt and I've still got this spare tire  in that area.  Grrr...
  • Options

It is called diastasis and if your abs have separated you can get them to close again but with modified crunches, like a towel wrapped around your belly as you crunch.

You need someone to check for you. Lie down, bent knees, have someone stick their 2 fingers just above your belly button as you pull up towards your knees. There are 3 levels of separation.... I is nothing, II fingers is separation, III fingers usually require surgical repair. This is why even if you eventually have no body fat but a III separation you will ALWAYS have a pooch unless its surgically repaired. If you google diastasis, you will get more info. 

LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    I started with my abs at around 8 weeks.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"