Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Ferber sleeping = bad naps?

Question - We just finished night 5 of project STTN  at our house. DS has been sttn in our room or bed since he was 3 weeks old. Now we have moved him to his room/bed and of course its not going too awsome. He is doing MUCH better than nights 1 and 2 but he is still waking 2-3 times and crying for 20-30 min each time.. but does settle back down... anyway - since we started this, his afternoon naps have gone to crap. He used to sleep for 2-3 hours in the afteroon, and now we are lucky to get a good 45min.   I would assume that he would be MORE tired during the day given that he is awake more at night, but this doesnt seem to be true....

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image ~Melissa~

Re: Ferber sleeping = bad naps?

• Options

When we slept train DS, his naps were actually harder to train than nighttime sleep. It took about 1-1.5 weeks before his naps got better. He fought his naps and would cry for 20 minutes, sleep for 10, cry again etc. It was awful. Eventually he went back to his 1-1.5 hour naps.

I'd just give him some time getting adjusted to the new sleeping arrangements. Just be consistent and your DS will get used to it. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Do you think perhaps now he sees naps as a "bad" thing because you let him CIO? By the way, I have nothing against CIO, so don't take this as me sounding snarky about it.

With DD, we tried CIO but it just made things worse so we would rock her until she was ready to fall asleep on her own. She started not needing to be rocked for naps about 2 months ago and just the past few weeks, she's been going to sleep on her own for bedtime as well without any rocking. So she now goes to bed for naps and bedtime with no crying and no rocking. Hang in there and Good Luck! For us, we just needed to wait t'ill DD was ready and she did it on her own.

I should add that she's slept in her crib from day 1 and as you can see, it took a while for her to fall asleep on her own. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I do still rock him asleep for his nap, I think more for me than for him :)   He stays asleep fine when I put him in bed, but he just wakes about 45 minutes later, vs sleeping for his reg 2+hr nap.

We decided to try the CIO method because he was starting to just wake to play at night... Not really how I wanted to get him to sleep in his own bed, but for our own sanity and to be able to get sleep at night :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image ~Melissa~
  • Options
    For DS how he slept at night directly correlated to how he napped during the day. Bad sleep at night meant bad naps. Eventually after we did sleep training at night his napping got much better.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

If you want him to learn to sleep at night, you have to be consistent. You cant rock him for naps and let him CIO at night. Let him CIO for naps also. If he gets worked up, pat his back for a minute to calm him down and then see what he does, he is cries again keep laying him down. Soon he will stay down. A little patting or rubbing his back might help. Just don't pat him to sleep...that doesn't teach him to fall asleep on his own.

Naps are harder for me than bed time also. Good Luck

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"