Working Moms
Options

Anyone have a long commute?

Just wondering if anyone has a long commute, and how you deal with it as a WM.  DH and I are planning for our first, but I have major concerns over my commute (usually about 2 hours each way), and I would love to hear how others make it work!

Re: Anyone have a long commute?

• Options
    wow!  that;s a long commute! mine is 40 min in AM and about 60-75 min in evening- and i'm usually beat with mine!  Its definitely hard - especially b/c i am at work for about 12 hrs/day, 5-6 days/week.  MH has all of the daycare responsibilities because my hours are too long for me to be able to drop off/pick up.  But, MH also has a 35 min commute, so we have DC near his work, that way he doesnt have to leave work early to get DS at daycare by 6PM.
    DS1 10/5/09 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Can you guys stagger your hours - so you work 7-3 and your hub works 10-6 or something? Any reason moving isn't an option?
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    wow, that's a doozy! Mine is about 50 minutes. I'm lucky to have a flexible workplace, so I don't have to get in until 8:30, then I skip lunch and leave by 4:30pm. I basically leave and get home the same time as DH and he just works 15 minutes from home.  So I guess I'm not any help besides maybe to suggest you ask about a flexible work schedule? Can you ever work from home? I also do that one or two days a week.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I'm not a mom yet, but I have a commute of about 1 hr 20 minutes each way.  Honestly, after a couple years of this commute, I'm ready to find a new job or move closer to work.  (Right now I'm working on moving closer)    I am exhausted when I get home every night, and I can't imagine having this long of a commute when we have kids.  Even an 8 hour workday turns into 11 or 12 hours away from home when commute time is added on, and by the time I get home I'm zonked from sitting in traffic and driving for so long.  And often I work overtime, so it's more like 14 or 15 hours away from home daily.  I really cannot imagine doing this schedule with kids, which is a major reason we're looking to move a bit closer to my work.

Is there a reason why moving closer to your work isn't an option?  Could you arrange flexible work hours or telecommuting a few days per week? 

ETA:  And what is your husband's job/commute situation?

• Options

Most of the posts that start like that usually have someone inside complaining about a 30 minute drive.  But 2 hours!!  That is a major chunk of time in your day especially when you are a mom!

Just like PP suggested, I would figure out how to stagger my hours with DH to ensure I would actually be able to see LO at some point in the day.  Hard to know what your options are without knowing what the job is but can you work from home one day?  Can you find another job?  Can you move?  

Where would your daycare be?  Making LO travel that far would not be fun.  Also, being that far from your daycare if you are the parent that will be called when there is sickness or an emergency is not going to work.

In short, I am sure under certain circumstances (very flexible DH, maybe a nanny) it is doable.  I just wouldn't want to do it unless it was an ABSOLUTE dream job that was a major stepping stone in my career.  And if that was the case, I would be living closer. 

• Options
    I have a long commute?.an hour each way. My husband works a lot closer to home. I go to work early to avoid the traffic and I pick up my DS from daycare after work?.husband leaves later and drops DS off at daycare. Works out perfect.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I have an hour commute each way and DH has a 2hr commute each way (in opposite directions so there's no way we can move).  It's really hard, you never have enough time in a day.  I basically do all the child related stuff- drop DD off at my mom's in the morning (half way between home and work), pick her up after work, feed her, bathe her, put her to bed.  DH works long hours plus the commute so he's gone from about 5am-8pm.  He only gets about an hour a day with DD.

You and your DH will need to really discuss how you are going to split the work caring for LO.  How long is his commute?  What kind of hours do you both work, is it flexible at all?  You will have to figure out where you can put LO in DC or possibly get a nanny if neither of you can get there to pickup on time.  Do you have any family members nearby to help you?

The fact is that its rough.  If there's any way you can move, switch jobs, or telecommute you should really consider it.  Even without children, I'm sure your situation is tough.  It's hard being pregnant with that kind of commute too.  You have to pee constantly, you're exhausted, by the time you get home you just crash on the couch all night.  I'm sorry if I'm being a debby downer but I want you to know the truth.  That said, I love my DD more than anything and she's the best thing that ever happened to me.  Even though it makes me sad that we don't get to spend more time with her, I cherish every minute that we have together.  It makes my job more worthwhile b/c I know that I'm providing for her.

Good Luck to you and your husband!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

that's a crazy-long commute!  When I was a single mom, I drove 30 minutes each way and hated it.  Now I'm down to 10 minutes and I still work in downtown :)

Will your childcare be near your work or your home?  I can't imagine being 2 hours away from my kiddos all day long.

SS10 - SD9 - DD7 - DS5 - DS born 10/3/12
  • Options

Wow, that is a a horrible commute, I would think that unless you and someone else (H or whoever) staggers or you can afford a nanny you will have a very tough time witht that. If you only work 8 hours (no lunch etc) you are at 12 hours if you put your LO in a daycare near your home. A lot of daycares are only open 12 hours so you have no cushion.

I have about an hour each way and it is brutal for me. I was not going to go back because of it, but they offered me PT and I also work from home, going into the office 2x a week. Even with that, on days my H is out of town, LO is at daycare for about 11 hours by the time you add in lunch, pumping, dropping off etc.

I would seriously see if you have any other options because I know that I personally could not make 4 hours a day commuting work.

• Options

imagejunebugrbig:

I have a long commute?.an hour each way. My husband works a lot closer to home. I go to work early to avoid the traffic and I pick up my DS from daycare after work?.husband leaves later and drops DS off at daycare. Works out perfect.

This is what SO and I have been doing for a few weeks now and it has made life a lot more tolerable.  I leave really early and he gets DD ready for school and drives her in.  I pick her up from after-school care.  I can get there just a little earlier than I used to and I don't have as much stress in the morning.

(My commute is an hour each way, sometimes a few minutes over if there is any traffic.  I am hoping to get an offer on a job that is about 45 minutes closer though.) 

• Options
    that's a long commute!!  i thought mine was bad.  1 hr in the am and about 1.5 in the pm (i have to go way out of the way to pick up ds). 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Ouch- I shall stop my moaning...

DH just started a new job and we were thrown head over heal into the daycare shuffle after 2 yrs of DH at home...So now the days that DD has Daycare I drop her off at 7 and DH picks her up at 3....I do skip Lunch just to avoid the traffic and generally take work home for the evening...having a flexible work arrangement and staggered hours is the only way you'd get through it...as I personally would not want to expose my child to 4 hr car rides every day...Most states consider leaving your child in daycare longer than 12 hrs child abandonment...also to consider...that 2 hr commute will be HELL once you're pregnant...I barely make the 1hr each way and run for the bathroom at the final destination...if I hadn't stopped along the way...

So while I'd like to say it's do-able I would probably recommend talking with HR about flexible arrangements or start reaching out for a job a tad closer to home.

• Options

I have a 1 1/2 hr commute each way.  It's not fun.  I'm gone from 7am until 7pm and it's really tough.  I have recently gotten into "books on tape" that help past the time and frustration.

If you can, I would move closer or get a new job...just my 2 cents.  Not to be debbie downer, but you become resentful of your commute and your job b/c of so much time spent away from your LO.

Good luck.

• Options
    DH has a 15 min commute.  I have a 1 hr and 15 commute.  It sucks.  I don't recommend it.  GL.
  • Options

Personally I don't recommend it....my commute was 2 hours each way also and it was miserable!  It gets exhausting and like PP said, you begin resenting your job, the commute, etc.  It was so hard for me to come home and get anything done.  I would leave the house at 5am (I worked from 7-3pm) and would get home by 5pm or so, depending on traffic...I'd be so exhausted I would go a lot of nights not even eating dinner or just grabbing something quick and going straight upstairs to bed in tears...being at a desk for 8 hours and being in the car for another 4 is murder on your back!  Luckily I have been working from home for the past 3 weeks, but I am also looking for other jobs closer to home because I know I won't want to be gone from LO for an extra 4 hours.

DH also commutes 2hrs...he leaves the house at 3am gets home around 3pm...it's a little easier for him because he beats a lot of the traffic, but it would be way to expensive for both of us to do that commute.   

It's really up to you, me personally, I wasn't making NEARLY enough money to do it, however depending on what your doing, it may be worth it for you, or perhaps you could see about working a little from home?   My boss was willing to work with me, he felt so bad about my commute (I used to work 5 minutes away but we got a house closer to our families when I got pregnant).  However I know they want me to go back to the office once she comes and I'm just not sure I'm prepared to do it.

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    IMO, you will not be able to pull that off for long.  I work in 2 of our offices--one office is an hour commute one way and the other one is 1hr 40 min one way.  I just returned to work last week and have only done the 2 hour daily commute thus far, and I already HATE it!  I had to stay at work a little later one night and DS was already sleeping when I got home.  I seriously cried!   I saw my baby for a half hour that morning.  I'm going to ask about working from home one or two days a week this week.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"