High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

No cerclage ??!! Very confused !

I'm currently pregnant with #2 and although it's early, I'm very worried about this pregnancy. With my first, I went into PTL at 26 weeks and after spending a week in the hospital, I was ordered strict bedrest for the remainder. I ended up delivering at 38 weeks. I'm surprised that my OB is NOT suggesting a cerclage. I assumed it would be done but she seems to think that it would be wise to monitor me and basically prepare for bedrest towards the end. I'm not convinced that this is the answer I want. What are your thoughts and / or experience with this. I appreciate any feedback you can provide.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: No cerclage ??!! Very confused !

• Options

As sad as it is, it's my understanding that if you had a preterm loss, then your doc would be more inclined to place a cerclage. That, in addition to an observed shortening cervix along with the PTL.

Unless others care to better clarify this, that has been my understanding regarding the prescription of a cerclage.

Nutmeg, cilantro, sage, mint, thyme... these are a few of my favorite things! Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest! We have four children; one left us too soon.
  • Options

I delivered at 23 weeks with my first pregnancy (twins) and did not have/will not have a cerclage in subsequent pregnancies. We consulted with an MFM and my OB and both said that without an obvious diagnosis of incompetent cervix, a cerclage wasn't the right approach.

I had no signs of cervical dilation/shortening/funneling at any point in my first pregnancy, just went into labor one day (potentially from placental abruption, but not clear which came first), so they said I did not have IC and that a cerclage posed its own risks that were not outweighed by the benefit with my history. In subsequent pregnancies I have weekly appts to check my cervix just in case and am VERY aware of potential contractions and call any time I feel them. I did modified bedrest with my son and made it to my induction at 38 weeks and am almost 26 weeks now and not on bedrest (but take it very easy) and so far no signs of labor.

Best of luck!

*** It's funny because I'm fat ***
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you ladies !! I
  • Options
    My MFM was not completely on board with me getting a cerclage for this pregnancy but I went above and beyond him to do what I felt was the best decision for me and my baby.  If you feel that your dr isn't doing everything possible for you to avoid PTL then I would suggest seeking out a 2nd opinion.  Be your own advocate!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageSweetieD21:
    My MFM was not completely on board with me getting a cerclage for this pregnancy but I went above and beyond him to do what I felt was the best decision for me and my baby.  If you feel that your dr isn't doing everything possible for you to avoid PTL then I would suggest seeking out a 2nd opinion.  Be your own advocate!

Yes I agree !!! I'm considering a second opinion based on how my next appt. goes. I will let her know my feelings and fears.

• Options

I had IC and my son was born at 26 weeks.  When we were thinking about TTC again my doctor said "get pregnant then we can talk about a trans vaginal cerclage".  That answer wasn't good enough for me, so we saw an MFM prior to getting pregnant.  He understand our concerns and agreed I was a candidate for a transabdominal cerclage if that's what we wanted to do.  I'm so happy we did that. 

Get a 2nd opinion!

• Options

imageSweetieD21:

Ditto this! OP, with your prior history I would be demanding a cerclage. As the Mom of a 24 weeker, I would not see a doctor who would refuse to do a cerclage. Then again, DS was born at 24w and I would NEVER want to go through that again so I will be having cerclages with all my subsequent pregnancies regardless of what any doctor tells me I should do. The benefits far outweigh the risks!

Jacob 3.23.08 * Grace 7.22.09 * Eli 7.26.11 * Annabelle 1.18.14

• Options

So what *is* the plan? 

I've had good luck two times with progestrone shots.  They start at 16-20  weeksThere is lots of info out there that bed rest isn't enough.  (And lots of it says it doesn't do anything)

DS #1 5.5.07 DS #2 12.3.08 DD 5.21.11
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"