Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

getting rid of paci?

LO loves his Paci, I've been trying to give it to him less and less but when it gets near nap or bed time he gets it. I recently got a BFP and now i'm thinking i should get rid of it before Lo#2 comes along. My only fear is that he doesn't have a lovey or blankey or anything elso that he's "attached" to so do you thing it's mean to take it away just becasue the new baby is coming? i won't start this week or anything but i just don't know what would be best,please give advice! TIA
PhotobucketBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: getting rid of paci?

• I have been going back and forth with this issue for a long time now. My daughter is 21 months. I decided to keep it. I am going to rethink about it at 2 yrs old, but I think it wont be till 3. It's not going to hurt them in anyway so why take away a comfort?
  • Congrats on the bfp! I'm in the sme situation. DD is a paci addict! In the past couple months she's gone from using it only during naps and at night to wanting it literally 24/7. I just read about cutting the paci as a method for weaning and plan to try that. When she goes down for her nap I'll round up all the pacis, put them away and pick the one to be cut. We'll see how that goes. I want her to be over it long before lo #2 comes along because I'd like to avoid her stealing the baby's paci.
  • Loading the player...
  • There is no rush for now, so I would just wait and see.  My DS got very interested in stuffed animals around 17 months, and I ended up ditching the paci without a lot of planning or stress.  Took 3 days, and he was totally over it.  Sometimes, our LOs grow out of these things on their own.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Congrats!

We started using the paci only at naps and bedtime.  I am going to keep it this way until she no longer wants it but will cap it at around age 2.5 or 3.  I am also expecting and DD will be 21 1/2 months when baby 2 arrives.  I feel that this calms her and although she has a blankie and stuffed animal that she is attached to I am going to keep giving her the paci.  The last thing I will need is a cranky toddler and new baby.  If she gives it up before the baby arrives great if not, oh well.  

I would do what you think will work for you but I would not cold turkey take it away from him especially if he doesn't use anything else.  

Good luck. 

• DG1DG1 member

Both of mine only have/had it for naps and bedtime.  DS1 pretty much got rid of it on his own at about 15m.  DS2 is 16m now and still REALLY wants it for those naps and bedtime (and would have it all day if we let him). 

But he doesn't get it for naps at daycare anymore, and we keep planning to take it away at home, but he keeps getting sick or having other transitional issues that we haven't yet.  

I have to say I do think there can be a harm in it. DS2's mouth is pretty horribly misshapen already. The pediatric dentist says we have plenty of time to get rid of the paci and his mouth will reshape some, but I'd still like to get rid of it sooner vs. later.  I think when he's over his current cold/cough/fever, we'll have to suck it up and take it away.  maybe we'll try the cutting first. :(

• We went cold turkey at around 10 months and he forgot about it within 3 days
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"