Special Needs
Options

Does anyone have to give their LO daily shots?

We saw DD's ednocrinologist last Monday.  Her growth has pretty much stopped, so we are going to be starting her human growth hormone therapy in the next week or so, once we jump through all the insurance hoops.  Anyways, DH and I will have to administer the shot every night.  She'll be on them for the next 10-12 years.  I'm freaking out a little.  It is a small needle, and I know it will probably be much worse for me than her, but the thought of having to give her a shot every day scares the crap out of me.  She screams every time we go to the doctor or if she so much as sees a nurse at a store because she hates the shots so much, and she's been through so much testing in her short little life.  Please tell me it won't be as bad as I'm imagining!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Does anyone have to give their LO daily shots?

• Options

We give our 4yr old b12 shots every few days. Asleep or awake he doesn't even notice.  We don't use numbing cream or anything.  I know it seems scary, but its not.  It just takes a few times to get the hang of it. 

• Options

We had to give L shots for years starting around age two until two years ago at age 12. He was on eprex for years, and didn't need it after age 5, then started growth hormone shortly after that. It was pretty much daily needles for him and he got used to it fairly quickly. Honestly, it's harder on us. I cringed at giving him needles, dh had to do it for a while. When he was 10 the clinic nurse taught him to give his own needles, he was pretty good at it!

It will become a routine quickly, just take the lead that this is really no big deal and she'll follow. Yes

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had to give my daughter shots for a month.  It was not as bad as I expected.  The first few are the worst.  I am a nurse and everyone kept saying it shouldn't bother me.  But, I didn't go into nursing expecting to give my own child shots.  No one wants to inflict pain on their child.  She cried the first few times, but once both of us got used to it she didn't even flinch.  It is very scary at first, but you will get used to it and she will too. 
  • Options
    Thanks everyone.  I talked to her patient consultant at the drug co. and we should get the meds sometime next week.  I know I just have to suck it up and we'll both be fine.  I'm under a ton of stress with a lot of stuff right now, so I'm sure that's making it seem extra hard. 
  • Options
    We are also in the process of trying to get insurance coverage for DS to start growth hormone therapy. What is your DD's dx if you dont mind me asking? DS has Russell Silver Syndrome and there is a private yahoo support group that I have found to be a huge resource. There are questions and suggestions probably daily from parents going through the same thing and from parents who have been there, done that. I would suggest checking out the Magic Foundation for more info and if nothing else I would say that the yahoo RSS group is open to people who need help. You have to apply to be in the group and just give a little info about what your DC has and I know there are a few parents on the forum who dont have kids w/ RSS who still post in the forum b/c their children are going through similar things. GL! Feel free to PM if you have anymore questions!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

imageskyllingstadl:
    We are also in the process of trying to get insurance coverage for DS to start growth hormone therapy. What is your DD's dx if you dont mind me asking? DS has Russell Silver Syndrome and there is a private yahoo support group that I have found to be a huge resource. There are questions and suggestions probably daily from parents going through the same thing and from parents who have been there, done that. I would suggest checking out the Magic Foundation for more info and if nothing else I would say that the yahoo RSS group is open to people who need help. You have to apply to be in the group and just give a little info about what your DC has and I know there are a few parents on the forum who dont have kids w/ RSS who still post in the forum b/c their children are going through similar things. GL! Feel free to PM if you have anymore questions!

DD has Turner Syndrome.  I do belong to the Magic Foundations TS chat board.  Lately, most of the stories on there have been awful - injection site pain, headaches associated with the meds, the girls being terrified of the shots, etc.  I was hoping for some more positive stories!!

• Options

I don't know if it helps, but the best advice at least for site pain is to keep rotating acceptable sites as much as possible. I had a friend with diabetes growing up tell me this when I asked him if the shots hurt. I let L pick his injection every day and it seemed to help. He told me that he got used to the shots as well, they don't hurt him anymore.

Unfortunately, the headaches are something you need to watch out for. We had to discontinue the growth hormone because he was developing nasty headaches. He's sad that he's no longer getting the shots because he'd love to grow.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"