Military Families

Tricare Standard -- Breastpump Question

Hey there ladies!

I was wondering if any of you had Tricare Standard and how you went about getting your breastpump... I spoke to a rep. from Tricare and she was pretty snotty, I know you need a perscription... but where do you take that too?

Re: Tricare Standard -- Breastpump Question

• Tricare only covers pumps for preemies who meet certain criteria (and I don't know what that criteria is), and even then it's only for hospital grade pumps while the baby is in the hospital (and occasionally for home use if a physician can prove need).   
  • imageleslie13510:
    Tricare only covers pumps for preemies who meet certain criteria (and I don't know what that criteria is), and even then it's only for hospital grade pumps while the baby is in the hospital (and occasionally for home use if a physician can prove need).   

This.

A friend of mine had triplets at 28 weeks. Even with her situation, Tricare only approved the pump for the time that the babies were in the NICU, no longer. I've *never* heard of anyone successfully getting Tricare to cover a pump for home use.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageMereou12:

imageleslie13510:
    Tricare only covers pumps for preemies who meet certain criteria (and I don't know what that criteria is), and even then it's only for hospital grade pumps while the baby is in the hospital (and occasionally for home use if a physician can prove need).   

This.

A friend of mine had triplets at 28 weeks. Even with her situation, Tricare only approved the pump for the time that the babies were in the NICU, no longer. I've *never* heard of anyone successfully getting Tricare to cover a pump for home use.

This exactly. DD was born at 27 weeks and pump was covered during NICU stay, but then I had to pay out of pocket after she came home. Good luck trying, but I literally know of no one who has asked and had it approved (which is ironic considering how pro-BFing all the mil hospitals are, but if something prevents it, Tricare says too bad : P)

• I truly have no idea.  The rep I talked to from Tricare said they'd cover it... I sure as heck hope so... we'll see though!
  • They definitely don't cover breast pumps. You can rent one from the hospital for pretty cheap though.
    image image
  • I've been battling this for a few weeks now.  You?re PCM or OB can write you a prescription for a pump all day long but TRICARE will not pay for it unless (like everyone above me said) baby is in NICU and TRICARE will only cover the use of the pump for that time only.  The day your baby comes out of NCIU is the 1st day you start paying for it.  I?ve been trying to find a loop-hole but there isn?t one.  

• If you are signed up with WIC, they will provide you with a Manual One if you are a SAHM, if you go to school or work they will provide you with an electric pump.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Also if you are an active duty mother, outpatient medical supply will give you a manual pump. It's Medela. But other than that you probably won't get a pump from the hospital unless your baby is in the NICU.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"