Toddlers: 24 Months+

Lactulose: WWYD?

DS is on lactulose for severe daily constipation. He just started it last weekend so we're still trying to find the right dose for him. The pedi. said to start with 7.5 ml every morning and go from there. Here's the problem though - if we give him 7.5 ml then has several loose and messy BMs. I know it's good that he's pooping, because it's better than the severe constipation, but, I don't want him to be pooping so much he gets dehydrated. He does get plenty of water though, so I don't know if I should be concerned about that. But, if I try to cut the dose down, even by .5 ml, then its severe constipation again and he struggles and struggles and nothing comes out.

So, of course I'm going to get pedi's advice, but WWYD? Stick with the 7.5 ml, and just make sure to keep him really hydrated because its better than the severe constipation, belly aches and crying?

We have an appointment with a GI at CHOP in two weeks, and I'm really going to push to try and find a long-term solution that doesn't involve me giving my toddler a prescription laxative every day. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Lactulose: WWYD?

• In your situation, I think the loose stools is better than the constipation. I would stick with it. I really wouldn't worry about dehydration. As long as he's drinking and eating lots of fruits and things with high water content, he should be all good! (Our gastro had said it is actually pretty hard for LOs to get dehydrated just from pooping so much...)

I'm glad it seems to be working for you! 

• Is it loose like mushy poop or very runny poop?  I would keep the dose the same until you see the GI doc.  It'll be hard for them to determine what to do if you tell them that you've changed the dose...it doesn't really give them a good baseline to go by.  I think the loose stools is better than him being severely constipated.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageJen&Len:
    Is it loose like mushy poop or very runny poop?  I would keep the dose the same until you see the GI doc.  It'll be hard for them to determine what to do if you tell them that you've changed the dose...it doesn't really give them a good baseline to go by.  I think the loose stools is better than him being severely constipated.

The two days he had loose stools it was just mushy poop, not watery/runny at all. But, he's severely constipated again, despite keeping the same 7.5 ml dose. I'm so sick of this back and forth, where we keep thinking we found something that works, and then it goes right back to DS being miserable 99% of the time from being so constipated. I'm so glad we see the GI doctor at CHOP in two weeks. I'm really hoping they can provide some answers and better yet figure out how to help manage DS's severe constipation issues so he's not in so much discomfort so often.

• I think the mushy poop would be better. My DS is on Lactulose and it doesn't do too much for him. I wish it did. We had the problem you are having with Miralax. It was from one extreme to the other. Have you ever tried mineral oil? My Pedi recommended it. However, it isn't a long term solution because it can block Vit D absorption. DS was on it for a little while, though. We give DS one envelope full (not sure of the exact measurement as they come in packets) once a day. SOmetimes we even have to up it to 1.5 packets or move it down to 1/2 packet if he is not as conpstipated. It is maddening, isn't it???? I really hope you can find the solution at CHOP. PLEASE be sure and post it so I can see what they say :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"