Breastfeeding
Options

Pain difference between mastitis and clogged duct?

I'm having sudden direct pain in one area of my breast. I slept too long (7 hours) the 2 nights ago between pumpings - OOPS. No hardess other than full ducts that empty when pumped.

Thoughts?

Re: Pain difference between mastitis and clogged duct?

• Options

usually mastitis is accompanied by a fever, chills, body aches. there's also usually a very red hot spot on your boob where the infection is hanging out...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I had this same problem and saw the doctor on Tuesday about it.  She gave me a prescription for antibiotics because she thought it as the beginning of mastitis. After about 24 hours on meds the severe sudden pain went away.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I got clogged ducts a lot at first, sometimes massage & heat could help them go away at the next pumping, other times they hung on for multiple pumpings hard as rocks. But they eventually cleared themselves. if they don't they can become mastitis and bring the fever & chills & other fun stuff. But I personally try to avoid antibiotics unless I really need them (I always get a YI which is usually as bad or worse than whatever I'm treating), so I didn't seek treatment unless I had the fever/chills/cold symptoms too.
    EPing resource blog: http://pumpingmoms.blogspot.com We want you to contribute your story!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"