June 2011 Moms

DH vent from a Pregzilla (long)

I need to get this off my chest.  I'm so annoyed at DH right now.

My mom will be in town this weekend for my shower.  She has never seen our condo that we've been in for 2 years, let alone all the renovations we've done.  DH is in the process of putting up crown molding in the living room and dining room.  He worked a 1/2 day today and said he was going to bust his butt to get the molding up in the living room in the afternoon.  I told him I didn't care if the crown molding was done...my mom won't mind seeing a home improvement project in the works.  I care more about the dishes, dusting, vacuuming, etc that needs to be done by tomorrow.  I also asked him to finish sanding the inside of the nursery dresser drawers so I can put contact paper in them and start filling them with stuff after my shower.

I got home from work at about 6pm, and the living room is a disaster.  Furniture is all moved, sawdust and drywall dust everywhere.  He has also decided to wire for surround sound, so he nailed up speaker wire and hid it in the crown molding.  He asked me several questions about where the speakers would look best.  Um, DH?  I don't give a crap.

I decided to occupy myself by cleaning the bedroom.  I dusted, put away a bunch of things, and washed the bedding.  2 1/2 hours later, he's still putting up molding.  Oh, and of course he never sanded the drawers.  I'm now exhausted, my back hurts, and I just want to lay on the couch and watch tv.  I'm done cleaning for tonight, which means I'll have to get it done before I see my mom tomorrow.  (He'll be at work, and I took the day off b/c I have a dr. appt.  Thanks, DH.)     

I know I should be grateful that he's working so hard to get the crown molding done, but I just can't help resenting right now.  It's not like the molding even looks good right now, because he still has to caulk, fill in nail holes, and paint it.  So basically he spent all day nailing up pieces of wood and wiring for surround sound.  And even though I vented on here, I just know I'm going to snap at him later. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: DH vent from a Pregzilla (long)

• my dh does this too -- only the chores he's interested in.  when it comes time for the rest of them he suddenly doesn't feel so well.  it pisses me off too!

good luck getting everything done!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It must be a guy thing.  My DH focuses his attention on things that really aren't that important and then leaves the 'crappy' chores alone so I end up doing them.  Hope you can get everything done that you wanted to before your mom is here. 
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I think this is a common complaint and I don't think it's necessarily because they see the other stuff as "crappy chores". If there is a project like that and dh decides it needs to be done, there is no shifting his focus or getting him to realize that other things might be a better use of time in that instant. For example, my dh deployed for a year shortly after christmas - the night before he left, he decided that he HAD to fix the surround sound wiring in our living room before he left so he stayed up until 3am to get it finished and didn't get the rest of his stuff together so the next morning was even crazier and more stressful than it needed to be. But in his mind, he was taking care of something that I couldn't (even though I didn't care what the speaker wiring looked like!!!) and was trying to help out.
  • Lurking from July - MH is exactly like this. I have learned over the years to just go with it and be happy he is doing anything at all. Doesn't mean I don't upset once in a while about it tho. Smile
    Anniversary

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

MMC 8/11/15

imageimageimage
  • kas80kas80 member

imagekorpisar:
    Lurking from July - MH is exactly like this. I have learned over the years to just go with it and be happy he is doing anything at all. Doesn't mean I don't upset once in a while about it tho. Smile

That's exactly the philosophy I've taken with the whole thing.  It's not him trying to be a jackass, I think they just have different goggles they look through.  It's easier to see "projects" that are undone for them.  I also think it's true that whomever the "cleaner" of the pair is is always going to notice things being dirty first, because it bothers us more.  In my case, my husband wouldn't notice unless he physically couldn't walk through the kitchen due to dirty dishes blocking his way.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemesr:

my dh does this too -- only the chores he's interested in.  when it comes time for the rest of them he suddenly doesn't feel so well.  it pisses me off too!

good luck getting everything done!

This is my DH, too!!! It drives me NUTS!!  I'm glad others are in this boat, too. Melissa, I hope you didn't snap too bad but I know I would've had to say something. Grr...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"