Washington Babies
Options

Poll: What will/do your children call your parents?

Grandma? granny? Grandpa?

My mom and dad want to be called: Bachan and Jichan (short japanese for Grandma and grandpa.

I have no clue what my MIL's and FIL's want to be called...

Re: Poll: What will/do your children call your parents?

• Options

I just did a blog post about this...we're still trying to figure it out. Our kid is going to have four sets of grandparents, so names could get interesting.

So far we have Lolla for my guy's dad (chopped Oglala Sioux for Grandpa), Nana for great-grandma, and Uncle Sam for my little sister. I think my bonus mom will be grandma Janet, but the jury is still out on the rest of them.

Married! | July 15, 2005 | It's a Girl! | January 31, 2009 | It's a Girl! | July 21, 2011
    Heavens to Murgatroyd Blog
    Unofficial Baby Names Sticky Note: New and Old| Local Bumpie Website image
  • Options
    My parents are grammie and grandad dh's parents are papa perry, bobbie and grandma cheryl....guess they have to be followed up with their names in case he forgets who the heck they are ROFL!
    imageimage Brothers! image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Mine= Grandma and Grandpa

DH's= Nana and Papa  (all the other grandkids call them that.  Shoot, I even call his dad Papa!)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    This took a while for Mason to figure out, my Mom wanted him to call her something, not be told who she was.  So I always called her Grandma, my Mom would call herself all sorts of names, anything that was a nickname for Grandma in any language.  lol, last x-mas each gift was from a different version of Grandma.  She is now Nanna.  Poor Mason has 4 Grandpas, so each one is a little different.  Papa Ron, Papa Jorge, and just Papa for my step-dad (the one he sees the most).  Dh's parents already had grandkids so they are Gramma Sandy and Pop Pop. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Jacob calls my mom- ma -mah (he can say grandma just fine but he started out by saying ma-mah and we've kept it :)

and he calls my dad Papa
  • Options

My parents = mimi and papa

ILs = oma + opa (German)

• Options

My parents- Oma and Papa

DH's -Nana, Grandpa Dean (step-dad), Grandpa (dad)

• Options

MIL and FIL are grandma and grandpa...

my mom is Bipsy just because I thought it was funny.  We havent' decided anything for my dad yet... I thought he could be "Bo Bo" because that sounds funny with Bipsy, but my stupid sister said she calls her DH that - ugh.  what a stupid "pet name"... so now I guess he's just grandpa... I'm thinking Grampy maybe.    His name is Ed so I thought maybe Big E too.  :)

• Options

My dad and step mom - Opa & Oma

My FIL and MIL - Papa and Grandma

My mom - is also Grandma

• Options

Mine - Grandma (my dad is deceased)

DH - Nana and Grandpa

• Options
    Tillman calls my dad "Stick 'em in the belly Grandpa" because of a game they play together.  He calls my step-dad "Grandpa chop-chop" because he is big on karate and is teaching him little things.  He calls my mom "Grandma" and he calls DH's mom "Grandma Jean."  DH has no relationship with his dad.
    T-man (07/27/05, 2:52pm, 10 lbs, 2 oz, 22") My Blog
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers image
    TTC #2 for a million years: SA normal, CD 23 bloodwork shows nothing amiss, ovulation detected. Next step: ? maybe CD3 bloodwork to check eggs? All out of pocket, so limited IF tests/treatments.
  • Options

My parents: Gram and Gramps or Grandpa

His parents are in another state: Grandma and Grandpa Waletzko

• Options
    MIL is "Grandma" to her, "Grandma Barbara" when we're referring to her when she's not there.  My mom is "Kimchee Grandma" (that's the name she gave herself!) right now, but I'd like for Mikayla to call her halmoni, the Korean word for Grandma.  My dad is her only Grandpa - she hasn't seen DH's father since she was born and I doubt she will very often, he's pretty estranged from the family for many reasons.  Personally I don't think he's earned the name of "Grandpa" but that's just me being catty.  :)
    -Deborah

• Options
    My parents are just Grandma and Grandpa. It's been a bit dramatic because my mom wants to be a "special" name like Oma and Opa but my Dad and I agree that being Grandma and Grandpa IS special since DHs parents aren't Grandma and Granpa, they're Mama and Yeye (Chinese).
  • Options

My parents are Grandma and Grandpa.  MIL calls herself Grandma Bunny, to which I just roll my eyes.  Her fiance has referred to him self as Grandpa, but that will be shot down if it is ever uttered again.  DH's late-father was grandpa. Just because MIL can replace her husband (and fast!) does not mean DH gets a new dad or Nathan a new Grandpa.

Can you tell we don't like the guy?

• Options

Let's see....my older kids now call my parents "Grandma" and "Poppop", they call their grandparents on their Dad's side "Grandma Myrna and Papa Jim" and their grandparents on their step Mom's side Granny and Grandpa Wiscombe.  The one time they met my current MIL they called her by her first name.  They don't and probably never will have a relationship with her. 

We never decided ahead....it just sort of morphed.  For a long time, oldest called my mom Ba-ma because he couldn't say Gramma....it stuck for many years, but in the last couple it was dropped as I think they felt a little silly still pronouncing it that way ;0) haha

I would just let the individuals decide and introduce themselves as they get to know baby....kids figure it out.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"