Eco-Friendly Family
Options

And finally, a random story and a question

Random Story:

FIL was over babysitting DD yesterday morning while I brought DS to an appointment. When I was making lunch, this is the conversation we had:

FIL: I saw on (insert morning talk show) that 7 year olds are playing with dolls that *breastfeed*. I think that is so inappropriate.

Me: I actually don't think it's that inappropriate. It's just a doll.

FIL:But for a 7 year old?

Me: Would it be ok for a 7 year old to have a doll that drank from a bottle?

FIL(indignant): That's not the same thing!

Me: But it's a baby doll eating, right?

FIL(authoritatively): But dolls in bikinis are still inappropriate.

So here's the question: Am I crazy to find nothing inappropriate with a doll that simulates breastfeeding? 

ETA: I think this may be what he was referring to:

Re: And finally, a random story and a question

• Options

I don't think it's inappropriate!  I think it's awesome!!! :)

Now, as long as mom/dad teach the 7 year old not to do it in public (only because it's not real and you don't want a 7 year old showing stuff off, obviously) then I see nothing wrong with it

ETA:  OH!  I was thinking the 7 year old was breastfeeding a doll!!!  In that case, yeah absolutely NOTHING wrong with that.  It's just a doll and it's (well suppose to be) human nature to breastfeed!!   Maybe if more kids played with these dolls there wouldn't be so much weirdness involved with it

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

FIL was nothing short of astonished I didn't find that shockingly inappropriate.

And DH wonders why we struggle to get along. :) 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Sorry, but I agree with your FIL. I think the last poster's comment about teaching them not to do it in public illustrates that. While I think real breastfeeding is natural and appropriate, I feel like a breastfeeding doll kind of sexualizes kids. I know, breastfeeding isn't about sex. But I personally want to teach my kids to keep their shirts down. All the time. Kids aren't so great at distinguishing the subtleties of what makes one situation appropriate and another doing essentially the same thing inappropriate. This is all just opinion though so I'm fine if no one agrees with me.

Oh, I just saw your picture. I am fine with that doll; because, as I said I am fine with the act of breastfeeding. But unlike the other poster, I would discourage my child from "breastfeeding" her dolls just to be consistent about modesty.

Anniversary
  • Options

Ask Babyluv & Joes about my 7 year old feeding her baby doll.  Boobs are for babies.  Or, in Korra's case, baby dolls.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Just to be clear, it was a baby doll BF on a mommy doll. No actual human children were pulling up their shirts, in public or otherwise. :)
  • Options
    imagejennypants:

Sorry, but I agree with your FIL. I think the last poster's comment about teaching them not to do it in public illustrates that. While I think real breastfeeding is natural and appropriate, I feel like a breastfeeding doll kind of sexualizes kids. I know, breastfeeding isn't about sex. But I personally want to teach my kids to keep their shirts down. All the time. Kids aren't so great at distinguishing the subtleties of what makes one situation appropriate and another doing essentially the same thing inappropriate. This is all just opinion though so I'm fine if no one agrees with me.

Oh, I just saw your picture. I am fine with that doll; because, as I said I am fine with the act of breastfeeding. But unlike the other poster, I would discourage my child from "breastfeeding" her dolls just to be consistent about modesty.

To contrast and politely disagree, I think that educating children at a young age that breastfeeding is completely normal would go a long way in preventing what we're seeing now with all these people going "Ewww! Breastfeeding gross and unnatural!"

I am totally cool with breastfeeding everywhere and anywhere. If my son expressed an interest in a breastfeeding doll I would be the last person to deny him and I would probably only deny him because I've heard that doll is $100 (!!!!!) and he has other stuffed animals that he can breastfeed. Heck, even my husband told me that he thought that BFing women are awesome and said that if he was capable of it, he'd pitch in too.

We'll never get past the thinking that BFing is unnatural if we keep telling our kids it is and discouraging them.  

Natural M/C-> 10/21/09

2011 Reading Challenge

2011 Reading Challenge
    Adrienne has read 16 books toward her goal of 80 books.
    hide
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I think that doll is great! In fact I would buy ten of those before buying one of the inappropriately dressed dolls out there like the Bratz, Monster High and that crap. THAT is over sexualizing our kids, not breastfeeding.
  • Options
    imagelittleanomaly:

I think that educating children at a young age that breastfeeding is completely normal would go a long way in preventing what we're seeing now with all these people going "Ewww! Breastfeeding gross and unnatural!"

I am totally cool with breastfeeding everywhere and anywhere.

We'll never get past the thinking that BFing is unnatural if we keep telling our kids it is and discouraging them.  

I agree 100%. 

• Options

He was probably talking about this:

https://www.whptv.com/news/local/story/Breast-milk-baby-causing-large-controversy/B_Y0kfUSBkWX86yxD-TXlw.cspx

The child wears a "bra" that has flower shaped "nipples" on it and the baby doll is brought to the nipple and then makes mouth movements/sucking sound.

If you want to buy one: https://thebreastmilkbaby.com/

photo maymommy2014.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    imagegoodgalpal:

He was probably talking about this:

https://www.whptv.com/news/local/story/Breast-milk-baby-causing-large-controversy/B_Y0kfUSBkWX86yxD-TXlw.cspx

The child wears a "bra" that has flower shaped "nipples" on it and the baby doll is brought to the nipple and then makes mouth movements/sucking sound.

If you want to buy one: https://thebreastmilkbaby.com/

This.

And while I am all for children learning to BF and think it's natural and normal and beautiful I'm not so sure I'd be cool with my (theoretical at this point) daughter wearing a bra with things that look like pasties on it.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    A weird bra with pasties is so uncalled for!  Breastfeeding doesn't need any contraptions--what a weird thing to teach little girls.  It's just a bizarre product, no?  I would think it's not selling so well.
  • Options
    If this is what FIL was talking about, and not the doll I posted earlier, I agree, the pasty thing is kind of strange.  Sounds like some weird marketing team made that one up. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"