Success after IF
Options

I tried to give them real food

and Harry choked and puked ALL over himself and me.  YUCK

It was a small piece of sweet potato (his fave), I'm guessing it wasn't small enough. :(  And this is after they did so well this morning with mum mums.

Lesson learned, try again tomorrow.

(By the way, we didn't get to alex because I was busy throwing Harry in the tub)

any pointers?

Me: PCOs DH: Perfect!
4 Fresh IVF cycles + 1 FET where embies didn't survive the thaw = 2 perfect little men!
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
sFET 11/9/11 - Beta 11/18 BFP!
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: I tried to give them real food

• Options

God if I know....

D is not digging food.  I was excited last night; tonight I am deflated. :( 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Asher used to choke, too.  I remember he gagged on a piece of bread once and threw up all over!  We went slow with him and solids, went from cereal to chunkier purees.  Once he was handling chunky purees ok we gave him small pieces of table food, things that were definitely soft and that he could mush in his mouth.  he got the hang of things pretty quickly and now is an eating machine!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

That exact thing happened to us the first time I tried giving Jones anything...it was avocado...he gagged and then puked :)  so gross...we haven't tried avocados since ;)

I tend to have better luck with jones when I give him a much bigger piece of something and hold onto it and make him chew it off...its like it helps him understand that he needs to chew.  He was doing so well that I've started giving him tiny pieces to self feed (since his fine motor skills were close to zilch) and he is choking a lot more...I think he forgets to chew now since they are already in bite size pieces!

• Options
    imagesmilee:

God if I know....

D is not digging food.  I was excited last night; tonight I am deflated. :( 

I'm ready to sign up for feeding them purees for the rest of their lives.  I eat the purees I make them, they taste pretty good.  :)

4 Fresh IVF cycles + 1 FET where embies didn't survive the thaw = 2 perfect little men!
  • Options
    I've been doing crunched up tea biscuits (break off a small piece of a social tea or arrowroot type biscuit, crush between my fingers and feed to dd). I think it is getting her used to pushing the crumbs around in her mouth and not just having mush in her mouth. I'm also giving her pieces of puffs.
  • Options

The first few times I fed my kids any cooked/cut up veggies...I made sure they were super super soft.  Like you could mush it with your fingers if you wanted.

Have you tried bananas?

• Options

I don't really have any! But YUCK...Have you done puffs? the Mum Mums? Cheerios (I usually soften them with water first)..It took Jake a long time to actually be able to pick up the food and put it in his mouth and he still gets it all over his chair and face..

But he Jake loves his finger food and now he Hates being fed now and grabs the spoon!

• Options

Jack was a huge gagger/puker.  We just went really, really, really slow.  Stuck with purees for a loooonnggg time.  Mum-mums too - those he could do.  Puffs made him barf too.

Now he eats like a truck driver - so don't sweat it. It really does all work out in the end.  

Wheee!

"When it comes to sleeping, whatever your baby does is normal. If one thing has damaged parents enjoyment of their babies, it's rigid expectations about how and when the baby should sleep." ~ James McKenna, Ph.D., Mother Baby Behavioral Sleep Center, University of Notre Dame

• Options
    imagedundasgirl:

The first few times I fed my kids any cooked/cut up veggies...I made sure they were super super soft.  Like you could mush it with your fingers if you wanted.

Have you tried bananas?

They were really soft - I steamed them up and basically pulled out a few pieces before I pureed the rest.

Harry doesn't do bananas.  He hates them.  Alex loves bananas but hates sweet potatoes.  I was going to give Alex a piece of banana after I was done with Harry, but we never made it there. 

Tomorrow is a new day.

• Options

Will puked also before he understood chewing. We model chewing a lot in our house - when we feed Will, MH and I look like insane mimes. ;)

While Will doesn't always do well with a big piece he can take bites off of, we did give him a whole wheat cracker early on to gnaw/suck on and once he decided he really liked it, it was light a lightbulb went off above his head and he realized he could just chew it to get more pieces in his mouth. That was our first real chewing success! Not sure if you want to try that, but it worked for us!

• Options

My DS did that too - even with small pieces.  I just kept trying.  But man, was it awful when he would eat most of what I gave him, then gag on a pea or a piece of corn and puke it all back up!  So gross. 

Now, my DD will grab handfuls of what I give her and shove them in her mouth...no gagging at all.  Although the other day, she must have stored a bunch of tiny pieces of bread in her mouth and then choked on this huge piece that the wet tiny pieces congealed into.  Now I know not to give her more than a few tiny pieces at a time. 

Feeding them solids is quite a challenge!

TTC#1 = Success on Cycle#19 with Clomid/trigger/b2b IUIs; beta#1 (15dpiui) 200, #2 (18dpiui) 433, #3 (22dpiui) 2356; TTC#2 = Surprise BFP 9/2009; TTC#3 = m/c at 6 wks, 10/29/11; BFP#2 4/1/2012... Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Daniel loves purees - I can't shovel it in fast enough.  But he won't eat any pieces.  He gagged on pastina! 
    TTC since September '08 After 2 m/c - lap for stage 3-4 endo Oct '09 Bravelle w/Ovidrel trigger - iui on 11/07 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My son puked the first several times we tried real food.  I don't think it's necessarily the size, it just a different feeling to them and they gag because they aren't used to it.  I started with extremely tiny pieces and he still puked until he got used to it.
    It took 3 1/2 long years, but we finally got our little miracle!
    IVF #1 - BFP (6dt)
    Unassisted Pregnancy #2 - lost at 15w6d due to T21, severe heart defects, and fetal hydrops

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"