September 2011 Moms
Options

The downside to starting the nursery (ETA PIP)

DH decided on a whim this past Sunday that he needed to pull up the carpet and work on the floor in the baby's room.  He had been sick all week, and I think he was just stir-crazy.  So we hauled everything out of there (it was previously the office), and he got it done.  (He did a great job, by the way!)  He even went ahead and brought the crib up from the basement and got it put together.  So what's the downside?  There's at least 5 months left before this little one graces us with his/her presence, but now that I keep walking by this half-done room, I feel the urgency to get it completely finished NOW.  I have a really hard time with half-done projects, and it's driving me crazy that I can't just go out today and buy everything I want/need to finish the nursery.

Anyone else have the nursery bug this early, or are you all more patient than me?

Re: The downside to starting the nursery (ETA PIP)

• Options

I have the bug too. I peek into that room no less than 3 times a day thinking "is there ANYTHING else I can do at this point?". I have no patience.

Are you one of those lucky homeowners who have hardwood under your carpet? I always watch those shows where they pull up the carpet and have amazing floors underneath. All that is under ours is cement.

~ Josh & Jill, married 5/2/09 ~
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    With my first, I had this huge need to have the nursery totally done by 20 weeks just in case the baby came early (she didn't).  I was a maniac trying to get everything done by the date I had set in my head.  We got it done!  I totally understand what you're saying though, once you start, it's difficult to see it sitting there half completed!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I want to set up and decorate the nursery so bad right now! The problem is that we don't have the room cleared out yet. Hubby and I were using it as kind of a storage room/pantry. He only really has time to do these kinds of things on weekends- so it's been a slow process.
  • Options
    I want to start working on it, and I've been taking baby steps toward it, but it's still sort of overwhelming for me.  Cleaning out that room means finding a place for all of the things that are in there now.  And that in turn requires cleaning out lots of other spaces in out over-cluttered house . . . 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageveronicafvr:

I have the bug too. I peek into that room no less than 3 times a day thinking "is there ANYTHING else I can do at this point?". I have no patience.

Are you one of those lucky homeowners who have hardwood under your carpet? I always watch those shows where they pull up the carpet and have amazing floors underneath. All that is under ours is cement.

Yes, I'm totally spoiled.  Our house was built in 1925, and we still have the original hardwoods.  It's a tiny house, but I love the character.  The people who sold the house to DH had flipped it, and we can't understand why they covered original hardwoods, in great shape, with cheap-azz builder-grade carpet.

• Options
    imagewomancake:

DH decided on a whim this past Sunday that he needed to pull up the carpet and work on the floor in the baby's room.  He had been sick all week, and I think he was just stir-crazy.  So we hauled everything out of there (it was previously the office), and he got it done.  (He did a great job, by the way!)  He even went ahead and brought the crib up from the basement and got it put together.  So what's the downside?  There's at least 5 months left before this little one graces us with his/her presence, but now that I keep walking by this half-done room, I feel the urgency to get it completely finished NOW.  I have a really hard time with half-done projects, and it's driving me crazy that I can't just go out today and buy everything I want/need to finish the nursery.

Anyone else have the nursery bug this early, or are you all more patient than me?

FYI, the green walls and the curtains are going to go.  And yes, that's a Star Wars onesie on the right.  I couldn't resist.  :)

• Options
    I really want to start on the nursery, but we don't know if we'll be living here or some where else when the baby comes, so I have to wait!
  • Options

I started the nursery in January before I even knew I was pregnant.  I wanted to get the painting done before I got pregnant so I didn't have to worry about doing it later.  DH is a horrible painter, and he would never find the time to start it.

DH needs to patch part of the wall.  We were going to put in a door because we opened up the apartment side of the house to join the rest of the house.  We're skipping the door on the nursery side.  Once the wall is patched, he will finish painting that wall, and replace the carpet and padding.  

We are probably buying a crib in the beginning of May.

• Options

imagecaffinated_tulip:
    I really want to start on the nursery, but we don't know if we'll be living here or some where else when the baby comes, so I have to wait!

I feel your pain!! I need to find the house before I can plan the room! But I am sooooo ready to buy everything!! And decorate... kind of an obsession of mine. haha 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Are you planning to use that crib? I though the drop side cribs were a danger to babies. Perhaps I understood the recommendations wrong.
  • Options
    Our 3 year old is still in the nursery. So we need to clean out another spare bedroom and get it set up for him before our nursery will be ready for our little one. Hopefully that will happen in the next month or so. The nursery so needs to be reorganized.
  • Options

imagecrzygirl:
    Are you planning to use that crib? I though the drop side cribs were a danger to babies. Perhaps I understood the recommendations wrong.

I've done the research, and I'm comfortable with it.  Especially since we actually plan on co-sleeping, and just using the crib part time.  In my opinion, it is not the fact that the cribs were drop-side that was the problem.  It was poor manufacturing, or they were put together poorly.  People have been using drop-side cribs for decades without them being constantly recalled.  The manufacturers just got cheap and skimped on quality.  So instead of holding the manufacturers to higher standards, the government just banned this particular kind of crib.  This crib is older (it was gifted to us with our first pregnancy), and I used it extensively when I babysat full time in our home.  So I feel quite comfortable with the quality of this particular crib.  I care very much about the safety of my baby, so I read up on this a ton.  If I were in doubt about it at all, I wouldn't use it.  (For instance, I don't feel comfortable with crib bumpers, so we will be getting a breathable bumper if we get one.)

• Options
    imagewomancake:

imagecrzygirl:

I've done the research, and I'm comfortable with it.  Especially since we actually plan on co-sleeping, and just using the crib part time.  In my opinion, it is not the fact that the cribs were drop-side that was the problem.  It was poor manufacturing, or they were put together poorly.  People have been using drop-side cribs for decades without them being constantly recalled.  The manufacturers just got cheap and skimped on quality.  So instead of holding the manufacturers to higher standards, the government just banned this particular kind of crib.  This crib is older (it was gifted to us with our first pregnancy), and I used it extensively when I babysat full time in our home.  So I feel quite comfortable with the quality of this particular crib.  I care very much about the safety of my baby, so I read up on this a ton.  If I were in doubt about it at all, I wouldn't use it.  (For instance, I don't feel comfortable with crib bumpers, so we will be getting a breathable bumper if we get one.)

Glad to hear you are comfortable. We all have to make our on decisions, I just wanted to make sure you were aware. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"