Trouble TTC
Options

Did YH have a varicocele repair?

If so, how much did it cost?  how did you make the decision?  I know there is no guarantee it will help things.  How was the recovery?

Dr. Google says in addition to the surgery there is an embolization option where the recovery seems to go much smoother.  Did your Urologist mention this as an option?  Ours has not (yet).

We are in the process of testing / trying to decide whether or not DH will have the surgery so just wondering what other's experiences have been regarding this.  Any input is much appreciatied! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Did YH have a varicocele repair?

• Options
    DH just had it last week. I will PM you with the details Smile

"I prayed for this child and the Lord has granted what I asked of him." ~1 Samuel 1:27
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    "Whatever it takes, we walk together." ~Pittsburgh Penguins
    My IF-turned-baby blog
  • Options

imagesbrowns08:

Thanks much!  :-) 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We are opting out of the surgery due to conversation with our family dr and RE. Dh has a pretty high sperm county but low motility and morph so the surgery might not even make a difference. We will see how things go for the next few months of treatment for me but we are on the no side of the fence at the moment.
  • Options
    imageJewlz018:

imagesbrowns08:

Sent!

"I prayed for this child and the Lord has granted what I asked of him." ~1 Samuel 1:27
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    "Whatever it takes, we walk together." ~Pittsburgh Penguins
    My IF-turned-baby blog
  • Options
    imagesbrowns08:
    imageJewlz018:

imagesbrowns08:

Sent!

I sent you a reply! 

• Options
    MH had the surgery in February.  Our insurance covered 100%, but the total cost was around $14,000 billed to insurance.  Our dr. didn't mention embolization as an option, and he is very well-versed in male IF and urological surgeries, so we trusted his opinion.  The recovery process was a little slow, and he had an infection pop up about 2-3 weeks post surgery (taken care of with oral antibiotics for 2 weeks), but he's practically back to normal now. :)
  • Options

I haven't seen Lyse around in a while, but her DH had the repair. If I remember correctly, the repair didn't help their SA. I miss that girly! Sad But, I'm glad that she graduated! Big Smile

Maybe you should ask on PAIF/SAIF. I'm sure you will get some response over there as well.

Good luck! 

• Options

DH had the surgery in September.  I don't remember exactly what it cost, but know that it was mainly covered by insurance.  The embolization option was never presented to us.  His morph was 0% before the surgery and went to 8% at the 3-month check.  It's the only thing I can point to to explain why we got pregnant. 

We made our decision based on the following things: the surgery itself is low risk, it's covered by insurance (and our IUI/IVF cycles would have been 100% OOP), and it improved our chances to not only conceive baby #1, but any other children as well.  His uro explained that the sperm quality would gradually get worse with the varicocele present, and he was already low all three with numbers bad enough to merit going right to IVF. 

He was out of work a full week and did have a painful recovery, but he's said several times how glad he is that he did it. 

Good luck making your decision!!

• Options
    Thanks for all the input ladies!  It was very helpful.  We still have a couple of weeks before we need to make a decision so we'll have to wait until everything else falls into place.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"