Babies: 0 - 3 Months

BFing in public, how do you do it?

DH and I are limited to how much time we can be out during the weekends because of DS's feeding schedule (which doesn't exist, I feed on demand). I don't like to pump and feed him a bottle when I'm with him so I need to learn how to BF in public. Any tips or suggestions?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: BFing in public, how do you do it?

• 1ht

i just carry a cover and latch him on and carry about my business

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • i just throw a blanket over our business.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My best advice is to just start doing it because for me the build up was worse than doing it. Start small--maybe in the car or at a friend's house or LeLeche League meeting. At first, I had to take my Breast Friend with me--hardly discreet! Now, I can hold him and do it, or use a blanket or his diaper bag to prop him up, or--best of all--nurse him in my woven wrap. I can walk, be hands-free, and be totally discreet with that one! My DH was apprehensive at first, but the more I've done it, the more he sees how flexible it makes life and now he even seeks out comfy chairs, etc.
  • I use a nursing cover and just try to find a place that's a bit quieter so that DD doesn't get too distracted.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I guess I should ellaborate on my question: I'm not coordinated enough to get him latched under a blanket without the blanket falling off. I'm terrified of exposing my boob in public!!
  • get a hooter hider. i have one and they are sooo much easier to use than a blanket. my LO moves around waaaay to much for a blanket. so with the hooter hider i dont have to worry about it falling off. hth.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Its really tough for me to BF in public too.  I have big breasts and DS is a big baby!  He also hates being covered up.  If I havt to go to the car then I will but I just usually feed him right before we leave and take a bottle of pumped BM for DH to feed him while we are out.  Its rare that we are out for more than 4 or 5 hours anyway so it usually works out just fine.  
  • I think its SO important to find a place that is quiet so LO doesnt get distracted and unlatch and get milk everywhere.

All I do it discreetly undo my nursing bra, throw a recieving blanket over (or whatever hiding device you want), and stick DS on there. Also I find it helpful to have an armrest if it all possible. It gets a little sore in the arm after 15 min or so.

• I learned by DS crying at a restaurant and I just said or screw it! And did it. No one even noticed!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    PitaPata Cat tickers
  • I have big boobs and I STILL have to hold up my boob so that ds can latch on. I wear nursing shirts all the time so I can easily slip out my boob. A nursing tank with a little sweater over it is actually easier because I can just flop down the flap.

anyway, its hard stil but it takes practice. I still fumble about and probably expose some boobage getting latch on but, meh. I try to sit in a corner somewhere. Like today I was in a corner of the doctors after ds got his shots and there was a nice woman who could probably see if she wanted to and since she was a girl I didn't try to fuss to much, so I pretty much let my boob out to get him latched on then covered up.

Don't be embarrassed!! Let people get over it, I find it SO empowering the more I do it!

You can try and practice at home too in front of a mirror, you may not be exposing as much boob as you think.

Good luck sweetie!!

• Always wear layers. I wear a very long tank top and a regular shirt/sweater over top. I unhook my nursing bra with one hand, and lower it and the tank top while still using the shirt/sweater to cover the breast. I then bring baby's face to the breast and quickly shove him on while lifting the shirt just enough to expose my nipple to the babies' mouth. Practice it at home until you feel comfortable enough to try it in public. I refuse to risk exposing my stomach in public and I hate trying use blankets to hide the baby. I find they fall off the breast as soon as you put the blanket over them and then it's a fight to keep your breast hidden, while holding the baby and trying to get it to re-latch.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I have an udder cover but found it wasn't nearly large enough. My cousin's wife made me a homemade one that works much better - it's probably a yard and a half of fabric with a rice bag sewn into one corner. The rice bag (or corn or whatever) gets thrown over your shoulder so the "blanket" doesn't get kicked off/fall off.

I got considerably more comfortable NIP when I made a weekend trip to the VERY small town where I grew up. Practice makes perfect!

BFP #1 6/3/10 | EDD 2/5/11 | Noelle born 1/28/11
    BFP #2 12/20/11 | EDD 8/24/12 | Natural M/C 12/22/11
    BFP #3 5/13/12 (Mother's Day!) | EDD 1/23/13 | Natural M/C 6/9/12 (blighted ovum discovered 6/7/12 at 7w1d)
    "And to think when their little eyes opened, the first thing they saw was the face of Jesus."
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My Ovulation Chart | My Baby Name List

• You also might want to try nursing with LO in a carrier.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    PitaPata Cat tickers
  • Find somewhere to sit and drape a blanket over my shoulder. My older daughter refused to be covered, so we nursed sans blanket.
    Anneliese Olive 11/5/09
    Hazel Dianna 1/8/11
    Luna Valentine 4/25/13

• When we go to town we are away from the house for 10+ hours... we tend to visit my grandmother, and/or my sisters'... but we nurse in the car a lot.

I don't have an issue with NIP, but my DH still isn't great with it. Plus my boobs are much larger than DS's head, so not everything is hidden.

Most uncomfortable story... I was in a Starbuck's feeding DS a Bottle (of BM) and some old man made a bunch of comments, one of which included "suck on that titty"... I can't imagine how I would have felt if I had the boob in the mouth, but he was actually just a total weirdo. 

I also don't BF in front of my FIL... but that is in part because it is a nice way to cut visits short...lol.

When we are a little smoother (and when DS starts to play games) we will use the cover that I have. For now that is actually more awkward than just whipping out the boob is. 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Photobucket Photobucket
  • imagecitychicks:
    Always wear layers. I wear a very long tank top and a regular shirt/sweater over top. I unhook my nursing bra with one hand, and lower it and the tank top while still using the shirt/sweater to cover the breast. I then bring baby's face to the breast and quickly shove him on while lifting the shirt just enough to expose my nipple to the babies' mouth. Practice it at home until you feel comfortable enough to try it in public. I refuse to risk exposing my stomach in public and I hate trying use blankets to hide the baby. I find they fall off the breast as soon as you put the blanket over them and then it's a fight to keep your breast hidden, while holding the baby and trying to get it to re-latch.

Pretty much this! With my DD I had a hard time using the cover but I kept trying, all 13 months I tried to use a blanket and it was a PITA. This time, I've given up on using a nursing cover or even trying to use a cover. I just lift my shirt, unlatch my nursing tank and then latch baby on. I get to pull my shirt to meet baby's mouth. Really there is VERY little boobage hanging out. Try it in front of a mirror at home until you feel comfortable with it. I would be willing to bet that most of the time people don't even realize that I'm nursing, I bet they just think I'm holding the baby. 

• I have a cover but it's really a pain in the butt. My LO has this bad habit of popping off and needing to relatch which usually requires me helping her get in the right position. Not being able to see very well really gets in the way of that.
  • imagecitychicks:
    Always wear layers. I wear a very long tank top and a regular shirt/sweater over top. I unhook my nursing bra with one hand, and lower it and the tank top while still using the shirt/sweater to cover the breast. I then bring baby's face to the breast and quickly shove him on while lifting the shirt just enough to expose my nipple to the babies' mouth. Practice it at home until you feel comfortable enough to try it in public. I refuse to risk exposing my stomach in public and I hate trying use blankets to hide the baby. I find they fall off the breast as soon as you put the blanket over them and then it's a fight to keep your breast hidden, while holding the baby and trying to get it to re-latch.

Yes

I do this and then once she is feeding I might toss a receiving blanket over her.  I also will use a changing room to feed her or sit in the backseat of our car if we aren't in any hurry.  I also have an ergo that I have been practicing feeding her in.  This is my plan for when we go to Disney next month.  I'm getting pretty good at it.

• I agree with the layers, I hate my stomach, so I always wear a tank top under my shirt so I can lift my shirt to cover my (big) boobs and have my stomach covered at the same time. I think I'm going to invest in a few nursing shirts this time though.
    IAmPregnant Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I just use a blanket to cover up the exposed part of my belly after I lift my shirt up, mostly because I don't want to scare anyone. I tried using a blanket over my shoulder but the baby flipped out about having his face covered. I'm kind of over the anxiety now. I got told off in a restaurant by an old witch who thought it was approproiate to tell me to "go and do that in private" (to which my friend's husband replied, "Hey, nobody wants to see YOU eating either..") and since then I have been quite adamant that I will feed my kid when or wherever he needs to eat.
  • imageJJsMom211:
    I guess I should ellaborate on my question: I'm not coordinated enough to get him latched under a blanket without the blanket falling off. I'm terrified of exposing my boob in public!!

Get a hooter hider 

https://shop.bebeaulait.com/nc

I completely know what you mean. I tried nuring with a blanket and kept showing the world. THe hider is perfect. nice and long. I just put it on. Put her under it (lay her on my lap) and then uncover my boob and lift her up. Sometimes you can use a knee to support her. The cover is great as long and wide and has an opening at the top you can see into.

• imageflutterby_0914:

imageJJsMom211:
    I guess I should ellaborate on my question: I'm not coordinated enough to get him latched under a blanket without the blanket falling off. I'm terrified of exposing my boob in public!!

Get a hooter hider 

https://shop.bebeaulait.com/nc

I completely know what you mean. I tried nuring with a blanket and kept showing the world. THe hider is perfect. nice and long. I just put it on. Put her under it (lay her on my lap) and then uncover my boob and lift her up. Sometimes you can use a knee to support her. The cover is great as long and wide and has an opening at the top you can see into.

EDIT: I should also mention that I wear a zip up sweater so that my stomach and other side are not exposed so that if the hider does shift they dont see anything. Just makes it easier to not concentrate on that 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"