Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Flash cards?

Does anyone use flash cards with LO?  DS isn't saying many words yet and I thought maybe flash cards would help.   I couldn't really find what I was looking for on Toys R Us website - any recommendations?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Flash cards?

• from what I understand (my sister is a language acquisition professor) the best way to encourage language is conversation and reading. Flashcards encourage memorization but not comprehension.

That being said - I would go with baby sign flashcards and you can all learn signs, which will help with communication even if vocalization takes a bit longer.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageEmmieB:

from what I understand (my sister is a language acquisition professor) the best way to encourage language is conversation and reading. Flashcards encourage memorization but not comprehension.

This! I'm a speech therapist... flashcards really aren't the best tool for increasing language. LOs need to learn words in context to develop true comprehension. They won't hurt, but the best way to help increase vocabulary is by reading, talking about everything, and treating every experience as an opportunity to learn.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagesasa625:
    imageEmmieB:

from what I understand (my sister is a language acquisition professor) the best way to encourage language is conversation and reading. Flashcards encourage memorization but not comprehension.

This! I'm a speech therapist... flashcards really aren't the best tool for increasing language. LOs need to learn words in context to develop true comprehension. They won't hurt, but the best way to help increase vocabulary is by reading, talking about everything, and treating every experience as an opportunity to learn.

Well, we're definitely doing those things.  He babbles a ton but just isn't really trying to form words.  I will be discussing this with his Dr at his 18 month appointment.

• It will happen in its own time. Just in time for him to be ready to talk, he will talk. Have faith and enjoy the babbling! (I say this as my son - who is supposed to be sleeping - is babbling over the monitor, so I may just be being swayed by the cute ;-) )
  • imageEmmieB:
    It will happen in its own time. Just in time for him to be ready to talk, he will talk. Have faith and enjoy the babbling! (I say this as my son - who is supposed to be sleeping - is babbling over the monitor, so I may just be being swayed by the cute ;-) )

I know he will...it's just so hard waiting!  I put a lot of pressure on myself over stuff like this - I feel like I'm not doing enough to encourage him to speak :(  

That said, I do love his babbling.  He definitely has full on conversations with us, his toys, book and our dog! LOL  So cute!!

• imagelolonyo:

imageEmmieB:
    It will happen in its own time. Just in time for him to be ready to talk, he will talk. Have faith and enjoy the babbling! (I say this as my son - who is supposed to be sleeping - is babbling over the monitor, so I may just be being swayed by the cute ;-) )

I know he will...it's just so hard waiting!  I put a lot of pressure on myself over stuff like this - I feel like I'm not doing enough to encourage him to speak :(  

That said, I do love his babbling.  He definitely has full on conversations with us, his toys, book and our dog! LOL  So cute!!

You have very little control over this one. Just try to ease up and enjoy the ride :-)

• Honestly, conversation and narrating through your daily activities is the best way for LO's to aquire langauge. That being said, DS LOVES these flascards and has learned and generalized car, tractor, baby, dog, keys, ball, and shoes from using them...He plays with or interacts w/all those things on a daily basis so I'm not sure it's the flashcards alone. If he didn't pick them out of his toy box, I wouldn't spend the time on them. https://www.amazon.com/First-Touch-Feel-Picture-Cards/dp/0756615186/ref=pd_sim_b_4
    "Normal day, let me be aware of the treasured day you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart...let me hold you while I may."

TTC #1- unexplained...lost left ovary 4/07 IUI #1 2/10/09-BFN IUI #2 3/5/09-BFN IVF # 1-BFP

TTC#2- FET 4/7/11 BFP, Natural mc 5/5/11 IVF#2 ER 9/13/11, ET 9/16/11, Beta #1 9/27/11 BFP 254 Beta #2 9/30/11 793 -Twins!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"