Toddlers: 24 Months+

DS is being tested for asthma...xp

So ds is 2.5yo. He has seasonal allergies, his cold has severve coughs that last for weeks, he wheezes when he plays hard and has excema as a baby. All of these thing are signs of asthma, and we live in a high risk area for asthma. We start ds on an inhalor tomorrow 2x a day and will see if it gets better.

Anyone else go through this? Any advice?TIA

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: DS is being tested for asthma...xp

• How exactly are they testing him for asthma? DS was diagnosed almost a year ago with night onset reactive airway disease. They treat it as asthma with an inhaler prescribed twice daily. I hear you about the coughs that would last for week...it was terrible especially at nighttime. He does well with the inhaler and actually did better through the spring last year (we suspect he has seasonal allergies as well; DH and I have them bad). Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • we now have a areochamber and low dose puffer to do 2x daily to see if his wheezing lessens during activities... for 2 weeks.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • My DS has incredibly severe asthma and has had breathing issues since he was 8 weeks old. We've had many hospital stays, including the PICU (when we almost lost him :( ). He is on the far end of the spectrum, but we have tried tons of different meds and had quite a bit of experience with pulmonolgists, testing, etc. DS also has very bad seasonal/environmental allergies and food allergies (he's anaphylactic to a few different things too).

If you have any questions as you go through this process, feel free to page me on the board of PM me!

Currently, DS takes Allegra twice a day, Flo-Vent (110mcg, 2x daily which is a huge dose for a kid his age/size), Albuterol (4 puffs) inhaler, and Albuterol in the nebulizer, plus steroids and other meds during flares. With all of this, we are just now starting to get a grip on his asthma, but it has been a long, hard process. Good luck to you!

• Also, when a child under 6 is first exhibiting wheezing/signs of asthma, the diagnosis will be for Reactive Airway Disease (RAD). It isn't until the child continues to have flares - typically 3 more severe/semi-severe reaction even after starting meds, meaning the meds aren't controling it-  will the child be actually diagnosed with asthma. I hope that you never make it past the RAD stage and that DC outgrows any asthma symptoms that are present!
  • Thank you Mrs Kelly. You've been through a lot. I hope he out grows it as well, but only time will tell, especially where we live, we have a very very high number of asthma cases here. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"