Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Hmmm, I don't know how I feel about this... (my 3 month old watching tv)

Apparently my DD loves Dora the Explorer...

I have a great nuturing nanny that comes to my house M-F from 8am-5pm.   I work from home but have to leave sometimes for appointments.  Well my office is on one side of the house and our living room the other.  So the other morning I walk into the kitchen to see my 3 month old in her RnP facing the tv basically jumping and cooing with excitement watching Dora the Explorer.  Granted my DH bought us a great big screen tv that has brilliant colors... and since DH is a tv junkie it is probably his genetics in play here... I ask my nanny... and she tells me how much DD loves this chick Dora and someother cartoon character that I didn't know (a yellow tin man?)  Also, FYI: Dora the Explorer is also in Spanish on Saturdays (I am told by my nanny).

Granted she only lets her watch this for a little while but now I notice my DD's little head turning to watch the tv with us (ie: Modern Family).  My parenting book (and my intuition) says not to allow you child to watch tv until 2 years of age.

What do you think? Also, don't know if this will sway your opinion... but nanny/sitter cleans my house while DD is watching tv.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Hmmm, I don't know how I feel about this... (my 3 month old watching tv)

• Options

I think it is a personal decision. We are not going to be having P watch TV. My H is addicted to it and I don't want it rubbing off on her.

That being said, my H is on deployment right now, and I am 24/7 by my self with P. I have plopped her in front of the TV for 10 minutes while I showered a couple of times. Letting her watch TV for a few minutes out weighs letting her screams in her crib.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

TTC #2 since 8/2012
    Me:28 H:34
    Me: all tests normal!
    H:  Azoospermia (Sperm count zero).
    MFI Urologist all test normal.
    Biopsy Feb. 14

****EVERYONE WELCOME****
  • Options

All in moderation.  If she's just neglecting her in front of the TV all day, I'd have major issues with that, but 20 minutes a day isn't going to rot her brain.  I let DS watch the equivalent of one Baby Einstein a day, but it's usually in 5-10 minute increments since he gets bored so easily.  And, I always put him in his jumper or on a play mat so he has other things to do also, so he's not staring at the TV the whole time.  Those 5-10 minutes 3 times a day is enough to let me get most of my daily chores done, and I can still interact with him since we have such an open floor plan.

ETA - I also want to say, I was vehemently opposed to letting him watch any TV at first, but I'm learning to choose my battles, and 20 minutes of him half-watching TV isn't worth me getting all worried about.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I called while my mom was sitting the other day and she told me, "Oh he just loves these cartoons!"  I was kind of upset and asked why my 3mo old was watching cartoons.  I think she turned them off then, because when I came home fifteen min later he was asleep and she was reading my nephew a book (he stays at the same time at our house.)  However, I figured it was just every once in awhile, it gives me a free babysitter (Gma, not the TV), and whatever.  I think I would trade a clean house for just about anything right now though. Smile  I don't think a few min. of Dora will hurt, but I agree that I hate the idea of my baby watching TV.  There are so many other, better activities they could be doing instead.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I have cartoons on for about 1/2 hour in the morning for my older DD.  Sometimes Kellan will watch.  He's usually in the jumperoo at that time.  He loves the Hot Dog song from the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.  As long as its not excessive, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Options
    Luke watches maybe 15 minutes in the morning while I feed our dogs and get his bottle ready, or get myself ready. I'm not so much worried about it now, as I will be when he is 5 or 6. Right now he pretty much enjoys the colors and the music.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Jap09Jap09 member

LO occasionally watches a MM Clubhouse in the morning (25 min), maybe 2x a week. And I get all the bottles washed etc. :) She gets so excited about it. I am not worried about it at all especially that limited. We do plenty of involved playing, etc.

However, I couldn't resist putting Tangled in her Easter basket. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I let DD watch tv in the mornings. She lays in the bed next to me and watches the Disney channel until she gets tired again, which is about 30 minutes or so. I don't think that will do any harm. I am buying the Baby Einstein DvDs for her though!

Sometimes it's okay to follow. (Picture is a clicky)
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Z is 5 months old. I let her watch TV a lot. She has a genetic disease where she can not sit up (right now and probably not for the next few months) So she can not just sit in a jumper/exersaucer, ext. We do not even own anything like that. I lay her on the coffee table and position her to watch Nick Jr. She loves Moose and loves Zee. p.s. The yellow tin man is Plex from Yo Gabba Gabba and he is a bad ass. Teaches great lessons like; dont bite your friends, think happy thoughts, and try it - you'll like it.
    mom to baby Zoe, DX Osteogenesis Imperfecta type 3, over 50 fractures since birth, 4 surgeries, uses a wheelchair, severe sleep apnea, mild hydrocephalus, beautiful blue eyes.
  • Options
    Initially I was totally against TV but LO really likes it.  So we will put on Nick Jr or Disney Jr for 10-20 minutes/day and get a few things done.  Sometimes DH will hold LO while playing college football on PS3 and LO will watch him play.  This doesn't bother me either because DH spends even more time on the floor with LO for tummy time or changing his diaper etc.  As long as you set guidelines with your nanny about how much tv time is appropriate then I don't see it as an issue.
  • Options
    I let my LO watch TV. He has such a short attention span that it never lasts for more than 10 minutes at a time anyway. It lets me get things done (bottles made in the AM, dishwasher ran, load of laundry in).

11-15-08
    12-1-10
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"