Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

What is wrong with his healing belly button? PIP

I am calling the pedi in the morning, but was curious if any of you have seen this.  I don't think it's infected because I read that it would be red around the belly button and it's not.  I also read that the yellow stuff could be mucus.  I am letting it air dry know and it is drying up.  What in the world is that thing sticking up though?  Will that dry up and fall off too?  Did any of your babies have this?  I've never seen this before.

imageimage

Re: What is wrong with his healing belly button? PIP

• Options
    Maybe a hernia? I'm just guessing, and to answer your question, no I didn't have anything like that with DD. It definitely looks odd to me though. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    just lurking...but this happened to my 2 daughters. what happened is not all the belly button fell off and the pedi had to put some stuff on the remaining piece to make it fall off...good luck!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

DS definitely did not look like that. I would say a call to the pedi is a good idea. Hernia is what popped into my mind too because I am not sure what else it could be if not.

• Options

It looks ok to me. It looks like more of the skin around it got pushed bach so more of the stump is showing. Once that part airs out too, it will dry up like the rest of it.

/this happened with ds and once the skinny part fell off, the wet looking part dried up and seemed to tuck back inside and it was like his belly button closed over that part. we were at a two week weight check and the doc looked at it and said it was fine but that was just before the dried up part fell off. it took about an extra two weeks for the rest to dry out and the scab to fall off.

• Options
    This happened to my DS.  I forget what the ped called it.  Not a huge deal.  The dr. used silver nitrate to dry it up when it fell off.  She told us not to submerge it until it dried up fully.  Keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't become infected.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure that's just his belly button...an "umbilical hernia" is what they call "outties". Most babies have outties which become innies by the time they're 3 or so. The mucusy stuff, I don't know. That might concern me.
    Anneliese Olive 11/5/09
    Hazel Dianna 1/8/11
    Luna Valentine 4/25/13

• Options
    I literally just got done dealing with this. don't worry it is totally normal. dd's stump seemed to be falling off a little early, and was kind of oozing a little. we asked the pediatrician, who said it was fine, and cauterized it with silver nitrate. that process is safe and just constricts the blood vessels in the area so they don't bleed anymore. As long as it doesnt smell, the baby seems content, and there isnt a rash or irritated area, it's ok. The yellowish sticky stuff is actually another layer of the stump and will dry up and change color and fall off too. Some babies just have layery belly buttons or something I guess. But don't worry, my dd's looked exactly like that.
  • Options
    Lurking... that's definitely not a hernia. My new niece had a nasty infected hernia. Ick. If I were you, keep his clothes off, his diaper low and keep him dry (wipe him with a wash rag if necessary). It should heal up pretty quickly.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
  • Options
    Looks like it can be an umbilical granuloma. Our LO has one. They can burn it off with silver nitrate - often it will eventually come off on it's own (may take months). We decidedto leave it and see what happens.
  • Options
    Your pedi will be able to clean his belly button up for you! My LOs looked kinda weird and the NP cleaned the area well and had us watch it for redness or an odor. It ended up drying out quickly after she worked on him. DS#2 had to be cauterized with silver nitrate twice because he had a deep fissure that wouldn't seal off. But it was oozy and bleeding. The next step would have been surgery but the 2nd silver nitrate treatment did the trick.
  • Options

imageSkiesOfBlue:
    Looks like it can be an umbilical granuloma.

This exactly.  Your pedi will take care of it--it's quick.  DD didn't even bat an eye.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"