Northern California Babies
Options

Dang sleep issues

I just wish my kid was one of those sleepers I hear about at work all the time. I ask everyone how their child is sleeping and it baffles me how many people say "oh she sleeps all night". etc.

My kid has so much trouble, especially in the early morning. She wakes at 5 and won't go back to sleep no matter what I do. I know she is still tired and now with daycare I can't do an early nap anymore. So I went in, gave her some milk and now I am just ignoring her and feeling horrible. I KNOW she needs more sleep, I KNOW she needs more sleep I KNOW She needs more sleep. Sigh.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Dang sleep issues

• Options
    I'm right there with you! DS has never been a great sleeper, but since moving him to the toddler bed, it's been horrible. Last night he didn't go to sleep until almost 9, (we start the bedtime routine at 7!). I have no advice, just wanted to let you know that we're struggling too.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    M used to be a horrific sleeper but around 16 months he just got it.  Then he regressed but we went on vacation and he slept great and we realized he has to be hot to sleep.  We found silent space heater after a couple of tries and then he went back to sleeping through the night.  I liked to play with the variables - heat, clothing, bed snack, etc.  Right now he isn't sleeping a ton at night but he is happy and not showing his usual signs of sleepiness.  Lots of luck to you. Sleep issues suck.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm sorry.  Sleep issues are rough.

What time do you put her down at night?  Maybe try a little later of a bedtime?

• Options
    Interestingly it doesn't seem to matter what time I put her to bed. She gets very very tired at about 7, tells me she wants to go to bed. If by some chance she goes at 7:30 it really doesn't matter. I think the problem is that we get up at 5 so even though the room is not next to hers, she hears us and can't get back to sleep. I do have a space heater but if it gets too hot she can't sleep either. I've tried giving milk, not giving milk, going in, not going in, it's pretty random. I think also right now with the transition to daycare maybe she is having more separation anxiety. I can't blame her for that. Thanks for the commiseration. I remember having difficulty falling asleep as a child. I had my own little self hypnosis routine. I used to imagine a huge wall with the word SLEEP inside and all the other thoughts were on the outside. So I would just focus on the word sleep and picture the other thoughts outside the big wall. I guess it's genetic. 
  • Options
    I am sorry, that must be tough. Luckily, I have one of those sleepers - she sleeps from 7-7:30 every night and for a long nap at lunch (2.5-3 hours). I guess it's genetic too - both DH and I sleep a lot.
  • Options

imageSFAug07:
    I am sorry, that must be tough. Luckily, I have one of those sleepers - she sleeps from 7-7:30 every night and for a long nap at lunch (2.5-3 hours). I guess it's genetic too - both DH and I sleep a lot.

I'm so envious. I keep fantasizing about maybe if I have another one she or he will be a sleeper.  

• Options
    yeah, I feel you.  DS doesn't get up at 5 every morning, but he wakes up almost every night at some point, at totally random times.  some mornings 4 or 5, sometimes midnight... it's all over the place.  and if I ignore him he complains for-EVER.  at least an hour or more.  so in the interest of my OWN sleep I cave and nurse him and he will go back down.  usually.  I know he TOTALLY doesn't need it but call it laziness on my part... I will do anything to put him back to sleep so I can get some more shuteye at that hour....  hahahah!!! 
    "Oh come on Gromit, a bit more, you know... alluring!!" Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageamyfelice:

imageSFAug07:

I'm so envious. I keep fantasizing about maybe if I have another one she or he will be a sleeper.  

People try to scare us that the next one will be completely different and not be sleeping...Who knows, but I sure hope she'll be similar to Sarah. After all, she has the same sleeper parents. We have been known to sleep in on the weekends until 3 pm (before Sarah of course).

• Options
    imageSFAug07:
    imageamyfelice:

imageSFAug07:

People try to scare us that the next one will be completely different and not be sleeping...Who knows, but I sure hope she'll be similar to Sarah. After all, she has the same sleeper parents. We have been known to sleep in on the weekends until 3 pm (before Sarah of course).

Well DH could sleep all day so maybe if there is a #2 he or she will take after him :) I'm playing hardball today, HSHHC style. "Ignore until 6" is what the book says. I hope it works.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"