Health & Exercise

Weight gain fear

I am so afraid to gain weight during my pregnancy.  Well more like I'm afraid I won't be able to lose the weight after pregnancy.  I have been thin most of my life.  Did anyone else feel this way? 

Re: Weight gain fear

• I feel this way because I had so put approx. 60lbs on during pregnancy and it took 18months to come off.  Have you ever had a period of weight gain/weight loss that didn't last?

I have an irrational fear that I will regain the weight that I lost.

photo notebook.jpg 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • sadly, i am also concerned about gaining weight. focus on the healthy sweet baby you will have and that makes it easier. There is no set weight gain. Just remember to stay healthy for the baby.

you can control your choices. congrats and GL!

My heart is as open as the sky.
    Read about it on the blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2 Corinthians 12:9 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

Follow Me on Pinterest
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I feel the same way too.  I've been the same weight for the past 15 years, never fluctuating more than 5lbs.  I've never been in a position where I've HAD to lose weight before, and I'm sad to admit this is a fear of mine.

Now that the numbers on the scale are going up, I actually have embraced this more and know its my growing baby which is pretty cool.  My dr said my weight is tracking just fine in the "normal" range and I'm healthy, so not to worry about it.  I eat pretty healthy and enjoy working out, so while I know its not going to be a cake walk to lose weight later, but I think if we remain sensible and don't beat ourselves up over it, we will get our old bodies (mostly) back. 

I also know a growing belly is a good thing, but it isn't a free ticket to sit on the couch and eat bon bons all day (maybe just once a day Devil)!  My belly may get big, but doesn't mean my butt has to, if I can help it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I felt the same way when I was pregnant, but  I wish I hadn't. When I was expecting my twin boys, everyone told me that pregnancy was great because "you can eat whatever you want". I just couldn't do that, so I continued to eat healthy to minimize my weight gain. Well, I ended up in pre-term labor at 28 weeks and delivered at 32w6d. My boys were 3-9 and 3-15. I just wish that I had worried a little less about eating and gained more weight so that I could be confident that my boys were as big as possible at birth.

Anyway, I did gain 20 pounds and within a week after delivering, I was 5 lbs. below my pre-preg weight. Now I've leveled out and I'm at about my pre-preg weight - 9 weeks out. Please don't be afraid to gain weight...just make good choices and know that your baby needs extra nutrition. A few extra pounds is nothing compared to the comfort of knowing that you did everything you could for your baby - especially if you deliver early!

Good Luck!

• I know how you feel.  I was working out like crazy before we conceived and I was probably in the best shape I've ever been in.  I have mentally struggled with all of that work being "erased."  I have been eating healthy and working out the duration of the pregnancy, and I've still put on 30 lbs.  DH often reminds me that we gain weight for a REASON during pregnancy, and that my body is doing what it should to support our baby.  So I try to embrace it.   But I know, it can be difficult to accept.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I definitely had this fear. I was too skinny when we TTC and struggled, so I needed to gain 10-15lbs just to get pregnant! I then gained another 25 and really wasn't eating all that much more, only healthy choices, and still exercised. Our little guy came early at 35 weeks, so I probably would have gone up to about 30lbs otherwise. He's now 3 months and I'm 3lbs below my weight when I got pregnant and still want to go down a few more. However, I definitely am not as obsessed now as I was before and it's a nice feeling. No time or energy to be!
    imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imagepokeybride:

I felt the same way when I was pregnant, but  I wish I hadn't. When I was expecting my twin boys, everyone told me that pregnancy was great because "you can eat whatever you want". I just couldn't do that, so I continued to eat healthy to minimize my weight gain. Well, I ended up in pre-term labor at 28 weeks and delivered at 32w6d. My boys were 3-9 and 3-15. I just wish that I had worried a little less about eating and gained more weight so that I could be confident that my boys were as big as possible at birth.

Anyway, I did gain 20 pounds and within a week after delivering, I was 5 lbs. below my pre-preg weight. Now I've leveled out and I'm at about my pre-preg weight - 9 weeks out. Please don't be afraid to gain weight...just make good choices and know that your baby needs extra nutrition. A few extra pounds is nothing compared to the comfort of knowing that you did everything you could for your baby - especially if you deliver early!

Good Luck!

Thanks for the reality check. That gives me a better perspective! i hope your boys are getting big and strong. hugs.

My heart is as open as the sky.
    Read about it on the blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2 Corinthians 12:9 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

Follow Me on Pinterest
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • That was one of my first thoughts when I got pregnant. I ended up gaining 68 pounds. My son is almost 8 months and I still have 10 pounds left to lose. It is extremely hard to lose the weight. I do a lot of running and yoga.

Just try your hardest to workout and eat healthy. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"