May 2011 Moms

Side laying massage--is that normal??

So, I went for my first massage today. My legs and arms feel nice and smooth, but I didn't think it was that great and don't know if I had too high of expectations or if this place was crap. I had to do the whole thing laying on my side, spooning a body pillow. So there was very little back massage and the neck part was really mild because the therapist said she couldn't do more without hurting my neck since it was twisted (to accommodate laying on my side). My hips hurt when I lay on my side since that is all I do to sleep and my lower back hurts just as bad as it before I spent all of that money. Is this normal? I was expecting a chair to sit in for the back massage, or a table with a belly hole, or something.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Side laying massage--is that normal??

• every place I've been to during pregnancy I've laid on my side. I still got a thorough back massage, though.

I've had 2 massages this pregnancy. One was bliss and the other was misery. Both massages were done by the same person at the same business in the same room, same table.

I think it was just uncomfortable because I was farther along in my pregnancy. 

• I've had two prenatal massages at two different places; both were side lying with pillows, but both used enough pressure to feel great on my lower and upper back / shoulders. Neither place had the ability to accommodate me on my belly. Yours kind of sounds like a therapist that's scared of pg women.
  • Loading the player...
  • Ugh, nothing screams dissapointment more than a flippin side massage. I was so excited to get one a month or so ago (I went to Massage Envy- it's a chain so maybe you went there too?) I found out when I went into the room and didn't see any pregnancy pillows on the table that this would be a side massage. Worst-idea-ever. It was so uncomfy and I was soooo looking forward to the belly cut-out pillows. It's been so long since I"ve laid on my stomach...
  • imagetokenhoser:
    Yours kind of sounds like a therapist that's scared of pg women.

I've had cutout table ones and side lying and they have all been really good.  One was even at a school, so it was the first time the guy had put hands to a pregnant woman- he did wonders for my lower back.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My massage therapist does them with me laying on my back, but I've had many friends have the massages on their side.  The table she uses props up so really you're reclined back with your legs propped up.  She's always been able to get everything for a great massage.  I would try going to someone else.  I would LOVE to have the belly pillows though... I can't wait to lay on my stomach again!
  • imageRissiJ04:
    My massage therapist does them with me laying on my back, but I've had many friends have the massages on their side.  The table she uses props up so really you're reclined back with your legs propped up.  She's always been able to get everything for a great massage.  I would try going to someone else.  I would LOVE to have the belly pillows though... I can't wait to lay on my stomach again!

Uh, how do you get a back massage if you're laying on your back, or reclined?

• Yep, totally normal because we can't lay on our tummy.

A friend of mine has her own practice and uses a special pillow for preggos. It has a hole for your tummy and 2 for your boobs! Not all places have them, so if you want a massage that isn't on your side, I suggest calling around to see if anyone has that kind of pillow for you.

BabyName Ticker
  • From what I've seen researching various spas in my area, this is pretty typical.  Only one spa in my area (a pretty nice one) offers a special table for prenatal massages that allows women to lie on their stomachs (with a belly hole like you've described).
    Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • imageRaquellyo:

imageRissiJ04:
    My massage therapist does them with me laying on my back, but I've had many friends have the massages on their side.  The table she uses props up so really you're reclined back with your legs propped up.  She's always been able to get everything for a great massage.  I would try going to someone else.  I would LOVE to have the belly pillows though... I can't wait to lay on my stomach again!

Uh, how do you get a back massage if you're laying on your back, or reclined?

She gets underneath my back... I was skeptical too at first, but my own weight actually provides for a really good massage.

• Edamame spas (in certain destination maternity stores) have a special table with a belly hole. Most places have you lay on your side.
    Pregnancy Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageVaulterMom:

Yep, totally normal because we can't lay on our tummy.

A friend of mine has her own practice and uses a special pillow for preggos. It has a hole for your tummy and 2 for your boobs! Not all places have them, so if you want a massage that isn't on your side, I suggest calling around to see if anyone has that kind of pillow for you.

I had mine with those and it was so amazing I woke up at the end drooling!  Definitely call around!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageKMac2784:
    Ugh, nothing screams dissapointment more than a flippin side massage. I was so excited to get one a month or so ago (I went to Massage Envy- it's a chain so maybe you went there too?) I found out when I went into the room and didn't see any pregnancy pillows on the table that this would be a side massage. Worst-idea-ever. It was so uncomfy and I was soooo looking forward to the belly cut-out pillows. It's been so long since I"ve laid on my stomach...

I have a membership with massage envy and I have had some massages with the pregnancy pillows and some on my side. I actually preferred laying on my side. The boobie holes were for like B cups (so my Hs were just being squished) and the belly was too big for the hole too. I could just be a giant hippo too.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • The massage envy in my town is fully equipped with pregnancy pillows so I've gotten to lay on my stomach for every massage I've had this pregnancy. It has been BLISS!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Mine have been on my side and she has worked me HARD.  I didn't feel like I was compromising.  Sounds like the person was too tentative.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"