Special Needs
Options

ASD/language delay moms - illness

Both of my little guys are ill.  Started off sounding like croup for #1 and now they are both coughing (more productive sounding than croup) with fevers and DS#1 has a runny nose.  DS#1 doesn't do pragmatics well so I'm not confident in his ability to tell me if his throat or ears hurt.  He claims he feels "much better" with a fake smile, which I think is his way of avoiding medication since he hates it.  His fever hasn't come down this afternoon (still just under 102F AFTER ibuprofen) so I gave him tylenol just before bedtime as well.  He was acting slightly dazed a couple of times this afternoon which got me concerned.  He doesn't leave his room when he wakes up even if he needs something, we have to go in and get him.  Dehydration isn't a concern because he's drinking a lot.

We have video monitors and can hear him, but can't see him in detail.  Would you 1) sleep in his room or bring him into ours or 2) go in every hour or so and check on him?  Some other option?  He has a history of going sort of limp with decreased responsiveness when he really doesn't feel well, but its never been an indicator of a real problem (e.g. not dehydrated, seizures, etc.).  Obviously it totally freaks me out so I'm trying not to needlessly work myself up to a trip to the ER. 

Can I just say how much fun it is trapped in a house for multiple days with two sick ASD kiddos and a sick dog?  All I do is wrangle and bribe medication down throats, refill water, and dole out attention.  I wish to sit in a quiet room with no one touching me.

Re: ASD/language delay moms - illness

• Options
    I'd let them sleep alone and check on them frequently throughout the night. If you can hear them and will wake up if there is an issue, then sleep without them. I wouldn't want to get them used to you sleeping in their rooms or them sleeping with you to have to break that later. Hope everyone is feeling better soon!
  • Options

I would bring him in bed with me.  My DS is just now able to tell me when something hurts and he still gets it wrong sometimes.

Hope your guys feel better soon!

DS - June 2006 DD1 - November 2007 DD2 - August 2010
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'd probably sleep in his room. 

BTW, I'm right there with you. Today was the first time in almost a week that I left the house with the girls. I took DD2 to urgent care on Sunday for croup. Luckily, DD1 got off lightly (worst symptom was 103.5-degree fever that came down fast). I'm sick, too, and there's no way I'd be able to drag myself out of bed to check on her so often. I'm having a hard enough time getting up with DD2, who is wakeful and cranky. 

DD1's not going to come out and say, "I feel sick," but she'll answer yes/no questions and point if I ask and something is hurting. My problem is when she wakes up crying and I can't get her to tell me anything at all. :(

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
  • Options

I would do whatever I felt was best, I personally parent on instinct..only you know your kids the way you do, so if you feel uneasy about not being able to see him well on the monitor and you have a concern about the decreased responsiveness from the past - then I'd say go ahead and sleep in his room or bring him in yours.

I can only tell you that I personally would bring my DS in with me.

Good luck and I wish you all speedy recovery!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"