Austin Babies
Options

Major PW: School me on Nook/Kindle/e-reader

I'm old school, yo.  I like paper-based reading material. I get my books at the library. I usually read them before they're due. :)

But, so many of you ladies had a NooKindleReader and now I'm jealous.  So tell me what you like about it.

Pros?

Cons?

Does it do anything other than let you read material?

Cost?

Battery life?

Girl accessories like pretty cases?

Re: Major PW: School me on Nook/Kindle/e-reader

• Options

I have the nook ap on my iPad, but what I like is that you can lend someone a book for up to two weeks!  Not all books are lendable, but a lot are.  So if someone has already paid for the book they can lend it to you for free :) 

I also like that it is instant.  I can start reading right away.  You can also preview books, so if you want to read the first chapter or so to see if you can get into it, you can.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

DH has a 3G Kindle, but I use it a lot too.

Pros? Light weight, easy to read screen in all light, awesome battery life, sync books to other Kindle devices, 3G internet browser means internet anywhere (including uninhabited Oklahoma) for free, full qwerty keyboard.Cons? Not in colorDoes it do anything other than let you read material? Yes, you can use the internet to go anywhere on the web. There are also games.Cost? $139 for wi-fi only or $189 for wi-fi and 3GBattery life? internet disabled, forever it seems

Girl accessories like pretty cases? Yup, you can even get one with built in lights Smile

ETA: you can also lend books with the Kindle. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageMrsAJL:

I'm old school, yo.  I like paper-based reading material. I get my books at the library. I usually read them before they're due. :)

But, so many of you ladies had a NooKindleReader and now I'm jealous.  So tell me what you like about it.

Pros?

Cons?

Cost?

Battery life?

I will say one thing. For the love of all things wonderful, buy a case. If someone gives you slippers, return them and buy a case. Buy a case. Even before your e-reader arrives, be prepared w/ a  case.

• Options
    imagemcurban:
    imageMrsAJL:

Pros?

Cons?

Cost?

Battery life?

I will say one thing. For the love of all things wonderful, buy a case. If someone gives you slippers, return them and buy a case. Buy a case. Even before your e-reader arrives, be prepared w/ a  case.

bwahaha. So true though, they protect them a lot. 

• Options

I love my kindle so much!!!  I have had it for about two months and use it every day.

Pros: I never have to buy books anymore.  I just read all of the free ones they release.  Also kind of embarrasing to admit this, but I listen to my books all the time in the car.  I have a really crappy commute so it's nice to be able to turn on the text-to-speech to listen to my books.  I go through about 1-2 books a week.  ;) Other bonuses - it's lightweight -- your hands aren't strained to hold it.  The epaper doesn't hurt your eyes like a normal LCD would (this is why I would probably not use a nook color or a ipad to read - they are made from LCDs and not epaper so it's harder on your eyes). 

I also like how you always have a book with you - no matter where you are.  I just carry mine in my purse.

Cons: forking over that initial $139. Other than that, nope.  I absolutely love it!

Does it do anything other than let you read material? Not that I know of but I've never tried to use it for anything else.

Cost: $139 (I got the kindle wi-fi

Battery life: I run through my battery in about a week but I listen to my books a lot while I'm driving.  If I just solely read the books it's supposed to last about a month before it needs to be charged.

Case: I have this case and like it but it's kind of bulky.  It's great when I go to lunch because my book stands up without me having to hold it.  I really like some of the stickers you can put on the kindle (you can find them on etsy).

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Pros? I have the latest edition Kindle, and I had the one prior to it.  It's light weight, has amazing battery life, and you can easily eat while reading because you don't have to hold the "book" open.  You can just prop it against something.  Also I read in the bath with it.  I just put it in a ziploc bag.  It also holds 1000s of books so you'll never not have a book to read on vacation if you load yourself up (a lot lighter/more convenient than carrying 4 or 5 books with you)

Cons? The only con compared to actual paper books is the tactile experience, but I got over that really quickly once I started using the Kindle.  This might not be a con for you, but people approaching you everywhere when you're reading it.  I'm not that social, and when I'm reading I want to be left alone.  They are not that cool and not that uncommon, so I'd really prefer people not try to engage me in conversation about it.

Does it do anything other than let you read material? I think it has games, but I have an iPhone if I really need to play games.

Cost? I think it was $139 without 3G which isn't necessary if you don't travel a lot

Battery life? 3-4 weeks depending on use.  It's pretty amazing. 

Girl accessories like pretty cases? Oh yes, cases & skins.  I have a plain red leather case with a built-in light.  It rocks my socks.

I thought I was old school until my techy-obsessed, engineer hubs decided I needed a Kindle for Christmas in 2009.  It took me awhile to actually start using it because I was really against not having the tactile experience, but once I started using it I am a convert. 
    imageimageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I have an iPad and am a converted ebook reader now. I like the iPad cause in addition to being a video/music player/mini computer/loaded with games, thanks to the apps it's also a kindle and nook (each has their own ap) and has it's own book reader iBook. I don't miss paper at all and find this much more portable and easy to use.

And ditto what MC said - BUY A CASE (and actually use it). I left my ipad on the couch uncovered and my dog jumped on it and left me a nice scratch. :-

• Options

imagespacey281:

Also I read in the bath with it.  I just put it in a ziploc bag.

I do this too.  ;)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagebalihaigirl:

Also kind of embarrasing to admit this, but I listen to my books all the time in the car.  I have a really crappy commute so it's nice to be able to turn on the text-to-speech to listen to my books.  I go through about 1-2 books a week. 

how did i not know about this feature!!??!?! i listen to book in my car too. i'll have to look into this!

balihaigirl, you've taught me so much about my kindle in the last 2 days. thank you!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I also have a kindle and I love it.  I was very pro actual book.  I love the tactile-ness of it (sculpture is my favorite art making genre), but once I got my kindle, I got over it not being tactile really fast.

It is so light weight.  It is much easier on my hands to hold.  I like that I can carry several books at once.  I can read it outside in the sunlight.  I looked at both the kindle and the nook (not color) and decided on the kindle.  Something about the way the keys were felt more right to me.  I do have a few free games on it...they are word games, and I like them when I am not reading a book.  I have paid for a few books and got a few free ones.

I bought a case (and it took forever, but I am picky about what my electronics are housed in.)  You can borrow/lend books on it, but only one time if the book is lendable.  

If you decide to get an e-reader--you can check the nook out at B&N of course, and at best buy.  You can check out the kindle at Target.  I only have the wifi, and I don't miss not having 3G.  It was a gift, so I can't talk about shelling out the cash.

You should do it!!!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I have the Nook Color, love it.  I had the Nook first and also loved it!

Pros?

instantly being able to buy and read a book,  very portable, able the lend/borrow books, you can also check out books from most libraries, magazines look much better on it over the Nook and Kindle

Cons?

For reading books I did slightly prefer the Nook which uses Eink. The Nook color does not.  I have been able to adjust the brightness and background color enough to not be that much of a difference though.

I can also surf the web, (can't post on the Bump though, just read), email, Facebook, store music, and play a few (very few) games. Oh and it also has the Pandora app.  

It is suppose to come out with more apps soon.  You can also hack it to basically be an Android tablet.  You do void the warranty though, so I have not had DH do this yet.

Cost?

$250

Battery life?

NOt sure exactly, but I can go days between charging

Yes

• Options
    imageA&Jmom:

It is suppose to come out with more apps soon.  You can also hack it to basically be an Android tablet.  You do void the warranty though, so I have not had DH do this yet.

Yeah, my husband is actually the one who developed and published how to do this and was featured in an article about it.  :)   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"