LGBT Parenting

Clomid?

In addition to switching donors, we're skipping IUI this cycle (gonna take advantage of this with a road trip! Yay!) and starting clomid  for the next cycle. I am a little wary of this.....I heard it can make you kinda nuts. Anyone have any experience with clomid? Tips for me or the DW?

Re: Clomid?

• I took it for several cycles. My main side effects were a horrible headache (though it went away with medication) and hot flashes (which was odd since I am cold natured.) Per DP, I really wasn't nuts - but perhaps she was being nice. ;) But the medication affects everyone differently. Good luck!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • E took clomid the whole way through, and yes, it kinda made her nuts. But then again, the whole freaking process is crazy-making, so in the end, our motto was "whatever works..."
    image Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imagenorika33:
    E took clomid the whole way through, and yes, it kinda made her nuts. But then again, the whole freaking process is crazy-making, so in the end, our motto was "whatever works..."

ditto. 

DW and I both took clomid.  She was extra emotional on it but thats about it.  It had more physical side effects for me (nausea, hot flashes, headaches), but with all that going on, irritable would have been putting it kindly ;)

in the end, though, if it had worked, it would have been worth it a thousand times over.

• i only took it once, for 5 days. i didn't notice any major differences in my mood, but it did help make my cycle a little shorter.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker White Knot

• my wife and I have both taken it. she got hot flashes about an hour or so after taking it, and she was a little more emotionally sensitive--she's usually really laid back but was finding her fuse a little shorter, not in terms of getting angry but getting upset by/emotional about things that normally wouldn't bother her, but it wasn't crazy or anything. I didn't notice any side effects when I took it, and she never commented on my behavior or anything. everyone's different.

just try to be aware that it can affect you and whoever isn't taking it, try to keep in mind that it can affect you and let things roll off your back. she really is okay if she starts crying at commercials, and it's probably not really you she's mad at if she snaps at you in the kitchen.

• It made me a bat sh*t nuts. The first round, I sailed through actually taking the pills and then 2 weeks after the first pill, everything started to get a bit wacky.  I wasn't crazy (yet) I just knew something funky was going on in my body.  I called my doctor and she told me it was out of my system within days of my last pill.. SHE LIES ;)  That stuff has a half life of 3 years (ok I might be exaggerating) but still.. I was on it (50mg) for 2 cycles and after that failed, I was.. well.. it wasn't pretty.  Even in my messed up state, I knew enough to be worried.  I couldn't stop crying for close to a week (she passed the breakdown off on 5 failed attempts, but I knew there was something wrong with me.)  Finally the last round, I took 100mg, I got pregnant.  And then I was pregnant so.. I guess I could pass the craziness off on hormones.

That said, I would do it again in a heartbeat (I woud go straight to 100, call me crazy but I felt like I had less side effects when it was higher).  Just be prepared in case you start feeling down.  It hit me like a truck from hell. I would also strongly recommend going to frequent acupuncture treatments if the first cycle fails, to flush out your system.  I was too depressed to get to my treatments but in hind sight.. I wish I had listened to K and just went.  

I hope this doesn't freak you out.  Some people have no reaction.. some do and I just wanted to give you a glimpse into my experience in case you start feeling sad/down, you can be ready for it.  Just remember, if it does get bad, it will pass and the payoff is amazing! 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • No side effects here. Maybe a hot flash or two but that would be it if anything. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • C took clomid for a few cycles. It didn't work at all for her. 50 mg gave her headaches, the higher doses, nothing.
  • I took 100 for one cycle and 150 for two cycles. Mostly had hot flashes (gave me a whole new respect for DW's perimenopause hot flashes!) and headaches. I had a few weird emotional moments, but it wasn't too bad (at least as I remember-- maybe S would tell a different story, lol!). The main thing is to make sure there is a good monitoring plan in place so you know what you might be in for (e.g. we decided we would skip the IUI if we ever had 3 or more follies).
    married 03/08/08 -- ttc with PCOS (dx 2005) & DS
    IUI #3 gave us the best 2nd anniv. gift ever: 2 babies! (born 03/09/10)
    Peanut and Little Man are getting so big! 2 years old already!
    finally blogging again at This Will Be: An Adventure
  • Thanks for sharing your experiences. I feel a little better knowing that even if I do have side effects they are tolerable or that I could get lucky and not have any. I never really intended to have this much intervention when we started this, but I'm willing to do whatever it takes within reason, and I think Clomid is certainly reasonable at this point. Wish me luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"