March 2011 Moms
Options

when to start pumping?

I'm exclusively breastfeeding and my son is doing excellent with it!  Weight gain, lots of wet and poopy diapers, no issues latching, etc.  He's almost two weeks old and I haven't even opened my breast pump yet - I'm not sure when I should start in order to start a freezer stockpile.  Any tips?  I don't want to have to either be BFing or pumping at all times in order to make this successful, but I want to start a bank for when we introduce the bottle and also so I can be away from him for more then two hours eventually if I need to.  What have you done?  TIA
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: when to start pumping?

• Options
    A really helpful nurse, who is a mom of 3, told me to start pumping by doing once a day after the morning feeding. For most people, that's when you have the most milk. Other things I have read on the bump have confirmed that other people start that way.
  • Options
    I also put off opening my pump until 3 weeks old.  I started a stash, but don't pump every day.  Sometimes LO will drain one side & be satisfied so i'll pump the  other. DH gave a bottle the other day in the early evening & I pumped after I realized LO was fine with taking the bottle.  I'm not going back to work until late Aug but wanted to start a stash for the same reasons as you.  
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have also started pumping at least once a day. I've found that for those middle of the night feedings, it's nice to have a bottle go down nice a quick vs. breastfeeding for 30-45 minutes and falling asleep. Also, I am going back to work and want to get into a routine of pumping.

• Options
    The LC I met with today told me to go ahead and start pumping today, 7 days PP. I have a wedding in July that will take us away from LO for 4 days, so I need a big freezer stash to cover it all on top of going back to work, etc. We have some latching issues, but pumping won't change that. :) we have to fix that anyway.
  • Options
    I started pumping a few weeks ago (typically in the morning as recommended)..and I made the mistake of pumping once after dinner (shortly after a feeding).   It was a bad idea (for my supply anyway)..  my "supply" didn't refill enough by the next feeding and the poor girl didn't get enough food- which made for a very fussy evening.   I didn't want to deal with learning how to use bottles/thawing milk really late that night.   So since then I have just been pumping once in the morning when the supply is greater and it has been working well!!   
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"