August 2011 Moms
Options

Worried about dental work! :-(

I've ALWAYS had terrible teeth!  I have always been anal about brushing AT LEAST twice a day w/ my electric toothbrush, and flossing 1x a day, but regardless I have the worst teeth ever.  On top of this I've had braces twice a root canal (that was a TERRIBLE experience) and jaw surgery as well! So needless to say I'm pretty anxious about dental work even when I'm not pregnant. 

Well I've been bad and haven't been to the dentist in over a year.  I decided I needed to make an appointment, and literally shortly after making the appointment for April 15th, I started having this terrible pain every time I try to chew on a bottom molar.  :-(   I'm a wreck about getting dental work done while pregnant and really fear since I have let my dental checkups go for so long that I may need a root canal, and I'm sure knowing my luck I have more cavities! :-/

Have any of you had to have a root canal or cavities filled during pregnancy?  I need some reassurance that all will be ok.

PhotobucketPhotobucket Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker

Re: Worried about dental work! :-(

• Options

I haven't had any dental work done while I've been pregnant, but I'm a dentist, so I can give you some advice about dental work during pregnancy.  The second trimester is the best time to have work done (1st tri - lots of things are forming in baby; 3rd tri - you get big and uncomfortable, stress can throw you into labor) -BUT-  I've worked on patients that were weeks away from giving birth, when you need something done, you need something done.  Some OBs will ask the dentist to use a local anesthetic without epinephrine, which only means that your numbness won't last as long before they have to give you another dose.  I always try to make sure that I don't do too much work on a pregnant patient in one day, so that we don't have to worry about giving too much numbing.  

There isn't anything inherently unsafe about having any dental procedures done during pregnancy.  Try to have them limit the number of x-rays that they take, but if you need one to diagnose the problem, them don't hesitate to get one.  You get radiation during ultrasounds, too and most women love to have those!! 

**Obviously, none of this is "professional opinion", can't do that without seeing you  :) **

• Options

You'll need to talk to your OB about it. I have a couple small cavities that need to be filled- we found out right after I got pregnant. The dentist said they're not at all high-priority, and they can wait until my OB is comfortable. My OB said that unless it's a vital procedure, she'd prefer to wait until I have the baby (which is the plan). 

Both the dentitst's and OB's opinions specific to your situation will be important.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had 2 cavities and needed them fillled and my OB was fine with it as long as I didn't have the epi. Well one cavity turned into needing a root canal. I did end up having it done. I didn't have the epi and I did have an xray but was double sheilded. My OB said if I didn't have the root canal done it would turn into a bigger problem for me. This was about a month ago and had no problems.
  • Options
    Ugh! I'm in the same boat! I have to have two root canals done. My OB said it was fine but my dentist doesn't want to do it. They took the nerve out of the one tooth and filled that and the other one with a long term fix until after the baby is born. For the most part it's fine and I don't have lots of pain. I still have some pain, I've been using sensodyne, and ACT which helps. I'm hoping to hold out until after the baby is born just for good measure.
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for your information!!! I think from what you are all saying, I will just go, get my teeth cleaned and checked out and run whatever they say to me by my OB and ask her what she thinks would be best. 
    PhotobucketPhotobucket Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker
  • Options

I've been putting off a root canal out of fear!  I guess I will just have to bite the bullet and do it.  I'm so glad to have you girls to listen to.

ETA: OP, I completely understand your teeth.  Mine are the same way.  I hate it!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I had to have a root canal at 12 weeks. It was fine. I am going to have to have crown done but because of pregnancy-related gum issues, my dentist wants to wait until after the baby is born.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
    mmc and d&c at 8.5 weeks - 8/23/2010
    natural m/c and d&c at 10 weeks - 1/24/2014
    DX w/ hetero C677t and A1298C MTHFR - 3/4/2014

• Options
    this is beyondddd shameful for me to admit but i went five(!) years between dental visits. thankfully, everything was ok. but here is something interesting my dentist told me: "bad" mouths are genetic. some people are awful to their teeth but never get a cavity and some people, like you, are very dilligent but still get a mouthful of grief.  
    imageimage
  • Options
    I just had a wisdom tooth pulled Monday and I am 19weeks. He used novacain and I didnt feel a thing. I was lucky I didnt need pain meds at all. It is still healing and all is well. I think you will be fine.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"