Breastfeeding
Options

How annoying. Re: breastfeeding doll.

First question my coworkers asked me this morning was "what's your opinion on the breastfeeding doll??"  My response was "I think it's weird that people think it's weird".

I feel like it's a sad reflection on our society that this doll is such a big deal & that people would refuse to buy it for their children.

Thoughts?

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.

Re: How annoying. Re: breastfeeding doll.

• Options

I totally agree.  I wish I lived somewhere where breastfeeding wasn't so sexualized and "creepy" and "weird" (have heard people refer to breastfeeding this way).

How come there can be a doll that comes with a bottle and makes sucking noises, but there can't be a breastfeeding doll that makes sucking noises.  That is how we were meant to feed our young - breastfeeding.  What is wrong with children learning about how they were fed?

Can you tell I'm annoyed. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Just looked it up and watched a "The View" segment on the topic.  Ugh.

https://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?id=8267278

If DD wants to imitate/play/learn, great.  The doll itself, I'm with PP, the suction on daisy pasties seems creepy.  But I would probably skip the animated doll in favor of DD using her imagination.  

Now the View segment annoyed me because I haven't really talked about this face to face with anyone.  And the comment about choosing a career or motherhood is BS. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagermj80:

i think pretend/imitative play is awesome, and would be fine if my daughter wanted to pretend she was breast feeding. i think it's weird that the doll comes with the little halter with pasties on it that make the baby make sucking noises...

all of the other "baby-alive" kind of dolls pretty much creep me out too though...

Your post is my EXACT thoughts on the matter! I find it perfectly normal for kids to pretend to breastfeed! Yes I find "realistic" type dolls creepy but people have way too much of an issue because it's breastfeeding.

• Options

What happened to childrens imagination?  Toy companies have brainwashed parents into thinking they need to buy all the newest gagets.

Children do not need a doll that simulates BF.  When my DD was 2 1/2 she walked around with her dolly imitating me with her little sister, and that was 17 years ago. 

• Options
    imagermj80:

i think pretend/imitative play is awesome, and would be fine if my daughter wanted to pretend she was breast feeding. i think it's weird that the doll comes with the little halter with pasties on it that make the baby make sucking noises...

all of the other "baby-alive" kind of dolls pretty much creep me out too though...

this, exactly.  I'm all for promoting BF with our little girls, but I think the doll is a bit much.

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

I don't mind the doll. I mean if someone wants to spend $89 on a doll that's fine by me. The little tank top and sucking sounds are a bit weird but kids are pretending anyway, so the toy makers are just cashing in on this type of play and making a toy that plays back. Kids have been pretending EVERYTHING for years. Gosh, I remember pretending with my girlfriends that we were pushing out babies! Or setting my alarm in the middle of the night to get up with my baby doll. 

My SON imitates me nursing and yes, it's a boy, but who cares. It's sweet and nuturing to see him wanting to be like mommy as he realizes this is a very important special thing mommy does for baby Ryan.

A lot of my friends kids, boys and girls, all pretend to nurse their dolls at some point, they don't need an expensive doll that sucks and makes noise to do so.

But gross and overseaxualizing? NO. Breasts are meant for feeding!!! It's not sexual!!!  This drives me insane.

• Options

Really don't see the problem.  Like many said I would probably not buy the doll but I am sure DD will pretend to BF once DS arrives.  That is how I feed my babies.  Noone would give a bottle feeding mother a problem if their LO pretended to bottle feed a doll.  There is nothing sexual about nursing a baby.

• Options
    It's nice to see people who don't think it's inappropriate for a child to imitate breastfeeding. Breastfeeding is, in the end, FOR CHILDREN!! It's ok for them to know about it.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"