Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

If you went cold turkey w/bottles and LO didn't like it, come in!

When DD turned 1 I started a gradual process to get her off the bottle.  It was working and we had worked down to just 1 small 4 oz bottle a day.

Due to some airplane travel, back to back vacations, fever, cough and an ear infection she is back on them.

DH and I agree that once she feels better they need to go and we want to do it cold turkey.  We know she is not going to let it go without a fuss.

If you got rid of bottles cold turkey and LO was not happy about it... how many days did it take before they accepted it?  And started using all sippy cups well?

DD is a pro and totally fine with her straw sippy cups for meals and such.  But when she wakes up or is over tired she wants the comfort of the milk from the bottle.  She becomes a beast lol.  I give her milk in sippies and she refuses or throws it!

Re: If you went cold turkey w/bottles and LO didn't like it, come in!

• Options
    I'm in the same boat so I'd love to hear responses!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    After 3 days, she would take it.  She was not happy about it but she did take it.  The first two days were the worst!  She thought I would give in and totally boycotted milk but on the 3rd day she drank her milk out of the sippy cup.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    actually i just stopped giving her bottles. and she was fine she never asked for it.  I stopped when she was 15 months.  But what I think the key factor was...She was really sick for a few days. lot of crap coming from the nose so everytime she tried to drink from the bottle she had a hard time breathing. she was pretty much out of breath trying to drink the milk and then come up for air since her nose had so much stuff in it.  So she pretty much didn't want the bottle knowing she wouldn't drink it comfortable and i just started giving her a sippy cup and she was fine with it.  with that said. I'm sure it would have been totally different if DD wasn't sick at that particular time.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    :::signing in for advice as well:::

DD has been drinking out of her sippy cup since around 8 months, however, she'll only drink water out of it. I've tried watered down juice as well as milk several times, but she completely refuses to drink anything besides water. It took us a good month to wean her from formula to cow's milk when she turned one so I didn't want to wean her off the bottle at the same time and overwhelm her. As a result, she still gets one bottle of milk before naptime (although I've started weaning her from this bottle this week and have been successful so far) and before bed. I'd really like her to ditch the bottle completely at this point, but I know I'm in for a struggle.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I went cold turkey the day you did. It was mainly because I was out of Playtex drop ins and I read your post that morning so I stopped. My son went four or five days of refusing milk in a sippy when my babysitter gave him about a third of a sippy of drinkable yogurt or keffir with the rest milk. From then on, we've done a mixture of milk and yogurt. He refuses it if we offer him just milk. We are going to start dropping the ratio down starting this weekend until he hopefully starts drinking only milk. He drinks ice water and yogurt out of sippy so I know he's just being stubborn.
  • Options

Ugh I am TOTALLY in the same boat.  I have tried 2x to get rid of just one bottle (she gets a bottle of milk at am nap, pm nap, before bed and at 3am when she wakes up)....all the rest of the day she will drink water non-stop from straw sippies. 

I even gave her some milk in a take-n-toss straw cup (no valve)...she sucked it right up...then SPIT it all right back out as soon as she realized it was not water. 

Since she is SO used to getting her milk before naps/bed....it is a HUGE battle. She refuses to nap and just SCREAMS and SCREAMS....I dunno what to do anymore.  Do I just not rush it?  And let her have the bottles at those times?!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"